Advformat WD HDD to Asus A7N8X Delux mobo

TurboDave_68

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,
Need to replace HDD in my XP Pro machine. Would like to set up RAID 1. Mobo uses Silicon Image Sil 3112A controller. Can I use WD10EALX SATA HDD? Will advformat be transportable to a newer machine using Win 7 later, or would that require reformat? What if I set it up without RAID? I could just make regular backups. Will TLER preclude RAID for this "desktop" drive? Should I just get another PATA drive and forget SATA? Hate to do that, since would like to get best tech in order to reuse later in Win 7 machine. What do you recommend? Need XP machine for legacy apps, like my car EFI. Thanks.

As long as WD's advanced format utility can see RAID drives I don't see why it would be a problem formatting them, otherwise don't bother with RAID. Personally, I wouldn't do RAID and just make regular backups.

If you use the advanced format utility, it should work fine under Win7. Some drives have a jumper that you can use when formatting under XP which eliminates the need for WD's advanced formatting utility. Although this is quicker, it will force you to remove the jumper and reformat under Win 7 if you upgarde to win7 later, so I'd stick with the advaned format utility.