Help with major CRISIS computer problem.

hurricanex90

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
I'll just get right to the point.

Intel Core 2 Extreme X9650 @ 3.00 GHz
Windows Vista 64
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2

Here's whats going on.

0622090823.jpg

0622090823a.jpg

This occurs frequently as soon as my computer starts up, but can be cured temporarily if I play a game like Demigod for 10+ minutes, and turning the monitor on and off.

My best guess says that my video card as died off, and just wont run anymore. I have no idea why, I could attribute it to overheating, but I have 4 fans in my computer, I don't ever overclock, and I have 2 120mm case fans. I've ruled out a monitor problem completely, as every other device that I need to use its display (PS3 for example), works flawlessly.

My budget is under 250$ for a new graphics card, if that is indeed the problem. I have updated the drivers, tried reverting to a previous version, ect, but it doesn't help a thing.

I've looked at Tom's Best Value Cards for June, and am liking the 210$ Radeon HD4850 X2, but I have no idea if it is compatible with my mother board, what I would do exactly if I did get a new graphics card; the procedures, proper installing, etc.

Thanks Tom's Hardware Community!

Regardless of how many fans you have in your case the 9800gx2 is just plain hot. Major flaw for that card.

IMO I would stay away from the 4850x2. In games where Xfire doesn't work the 1 4850 that does might hamper your game play. Get a GTX275 or a 4890.

On a side note........ did you try pulling out the card and blow hard through the exhaust end to blow the dust bunnies off the heat sinks and out of the card ? too late now I think.

If you think you have to have the 4850x2, yes, it will work on your board.

Look at the Tomshardware benchmarks and get the best performing card for your budget. NVidia provides PhysX support. ATI does not.

And yes, it is your graphics card.

I generally only agree with going Crossfire or SLI if you can't get that level of performance from a single card (or if the value is there). You should get a single card.

hurricanex90

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

I have tried taking out the card and blowing on it, letting it cool down completely, used compressed air to clean the whole thing too.

I was also just referring to what Tom's Hardware June 2009 article suggested, but I will definitely be looking at those benchmarks because a single card is much more desirable if possible for me.

Photonboy - Yeah I do believe the warranty is up, and I will look to a single card.

Do I have to uninstall some program to deactivate the current card? Or can I just remove it, and replace it with the new one, and expect everything to work fine?

hurricanex90

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

I have tried taking out the card and blowing on it, letting it cool down completely, used compressed air to clean the whole thing too.

I was also just referring to what Tom's Hardware June 2009 article suggested, but I will definitely be looking at those benchmarks because a single card is much more desirable if possible for me.

Photonboy - Yeah I do believe the warranty is up, and I will look to a single card.

Do I have to uninstall some program to deactivate the current card? Or can I just remove it, and replace it with the new one, and expect everything to work fine?

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
If you go from Nvidia to ATI you will need to uninstall all of the drivers first. If you stick with the same brand then you don't have to be as thorough, though you should always unistall the device first.

Exactly what temperatures are you seeing with this card? Use Rivatuner or GPUZ to find out.

Also there was a known issue with the GX2 and the heatsink not being fitted correctly, the solution is to remove the card and squeeze it to properly seat the heatsink.

As for a replacement, the GTX275 is a very powerful card and falls well under your maximum budget.

When installing a new card it is, as has been said, good practice to fully uninstall the current drivers and install the latest from the Nvidia/ATI website.
Like this:

Download the latest drivers, do not install yet.
Set a Restore Point.
Uninstall the existing drivers and turn the system off.
Remove the power cord and swap cards, making sure to connect the power leads correctly.
Reconnect the power cord and boot up.
Ignore the Windows 'new hardware' wizard and install the downloaded drivers.
Reboot.
Set the display properties as required, both in Windows and the drivers.
Reboot.
Enjoy.

hurricanex90

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009

Thanks alot coozie, I'm going to go with an EVGA GTX275 like you suggested as the replacement. Can I message you with any questions as they arise?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

How do you uninstall the exact existing drivers in specific?

^ I'm have problems with messages ATM, If problems arise I cannot guarantee a reply, sorry.
Just follow the guide but 'Uninstall the existing drivers' means: Start>Control panel>Add/Remove programs click 'NVIDIA Drivers' then click 'Change/remove' then 'yes' and when you are asked to reboot, follow the guide from "and turn the system off."

Good choice of card BTW, just remember to register it to get the full warranty;)