GTX 295 Black Screen after driver reboot

interloom

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
Hi Guys i'm new to this forum, I wonder if you can help me...

I have just built a new system specs below, I am having problems with the Graphics cards GTX 295. After installing the Nvidia drivers and software system asks for a reboot. System reboots and at the welcome screen my monitor goes black and displays a dodgy resolution ___x800 @ 58Hz and I assume the system hangs at this point. when i boot up into safe mode and remove the driver boots back in no problems. BFG the manufacturer of the cards have blamed the chipset and the bios of my motherboard. There is only 1 bios version for my board, no updates that I can see. The chipset is up to date with the asus site. Do you think its a driver problem? or do i have to wait until asus updates the bios to use these particular cards?

PC Spec
ASUS P6T7 WS SUPER COMPUTER INTEL X58 1366 ATX BOARD (90-MIB8Z0-G0EAY00Z)
INTEL CORE I7 975 EXTREME 3.33GHZ QPI 8MB CACHE (LGA-1366)
2x CORSAIR P128GB 2.5" SATA2 SOLID STATE DRIVE RAID 0 (CMFSSD-128GBG2D)
THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER MODULAR 1200W PSU (W0133)
2x BFG GEFORCE GTX295 1792MB DDR3 CARD (BFGRGTX2951792BE)
2x CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT DDR3 RAM 2000MHZ 3x2048 TRIPLE (TR3X6G2000C8GT)
LG DVD-RW BLU-RAY HD-ROM SATA DRIVE BLK (GGW-H20L)
2x SEAGATE BARRACUDA ES.2 1TB SAS 16MB HDD (ST31000640SS)
ASUS XONAR HDAV1.3 SOUND CARD (90-YAA086-0UAN00Z)

Many Thanks

UltraO

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
LoL of course they blame your motherboard... they hate when people return their products :sarcastic:
Have you tried other drivers? If you have done it and it still doesn't work there's a chance that your card is defect :(

1: reinstall drivers (different ones to see if it is the version you have)
2: try one card at a time to rule out a single card failure
3: try another card (from a friend) to make sure that the motherboard isn't at fault

IMO i would say one(i doubt both) card would be bad over the motherboard being bad
also, i don't think it's an incompatibility with the chipset since all i7's use the x58 and i haven'y seen cards not working with certain bios since the AGP days

tasmisr

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Man, I had this issue last year, you do not have a bad card, it's just the bad luck with the combination of ASUS motherboard with the Nvidia latest drivers, I have a GTX+ 9800 with ASUS P5N-D and I had this issue, try this:
instead of installing the latest drivers from nvidia for the graphics card, install the previous version, if it works great, if not go backword with older versions, the version I have for my card is from August 2008.
I'm looking into upgrading now to the latest drivers, but now I know the trick, create a restore point, or I can just rollback to the older drivers if the new one gave me the same black screen.

btw, it has nothing to do with the OS, I tried xp, vista, and windows 7, all same behavior.

leon2006

Distinguished
Did you install the NVIDIA driver before or after intalling the motherboard driver?

Did you place the GTX-295 card on separate rails? Check your rail load distribution and make sure there is sufficient power for each load.