which is good 2 9800gt or a x260

prat156

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
can any one help me i hav a9800gt 512 mb i m looking to buy a new one which should i prefer . to go with another 9800gt or buy a x 260. my mobo dont support sli so i m also going 2 buy a new mobo with sli tech .which mobo should i buy .
i hav a amd phenom x3 8450 2.1 ghz
and my smps is 600watts
if i buy a another 9800gt ,is 600watts smps enough
..................pls any one give reply....i m now really confused

prat156

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2009
thank u teja 92 4 ur reply
do gtx 260 get that much performance
i hav a 22 inch monitor
if u dont mind can u give me a good config 2 buy
or make my present config better
my sys is
amd phenom x3 8450 2.1 ghz
mobo asus m3a78em crossfire
4 gb ram
9800gt 512mb gfxc
160 gb sata hdd

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I have both a 9800 GT SLI system and a non-sli system with a GTX 260. The GTX 260 beats the SLI system in everything I do, games, benchmarks, etc...

In short, had I known what the GTX 260 can do, I would have never built the SLI system. However, when I upgrade to a 26" monitor, I will get rid of the 9800 GTs, buy another GTX 260 and SLI them.

And soon after which you may see some benchies for a GT300 card beating the 260 Sli setup, then you will be back to lamenting how if you knew what the newer card could do you wouldn't have got the second 260 as a single card is better, no 'MS' or heat issues, pretty much the same complaints you've voiced previously just with different cards.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

You are right and I admit that I demand more significant performance gains from an SLI system than a single card system. Why? Economics. Why spend much more on an SLI system and get a lower return when compared to a cheaper single card system?

Besides, a single GTX 260 can't put out super smooth framerates on a 26" monitor. And since I've already got an SLI mobo and one GTX 260, I don't feel like I'm building another SLI system. My position is still this - if building a new gaming system, DO NOT go for the hype of SLI!

pauldh

Illustrious

That's odd. Different system specs, or the same system? OS and everything the same? What games, resolutiion, FSAA? Going by both reviews and personal testing, I'd expect your two graphics solutions to trade blows with each other.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Both systems with an OC'd e8400 to 4.0 Ghz, Windows XP, 4 gig RAM. However, the GTX 260 is on an Asus P5Q SE PLUS while the dual 9800 GTs are on an Asus P5N-D. The scores are very close and are on Futuremarks results database.