Sign in with
Your question

Soyo kt600 ultra platinum Bios Problems and Sata Problems

Last response: in Motherboards
December 22, 2009 9:23:14 AM

I have a soyo kt600 ultra platinum. I have never been able to update my bios, because I could never get a floppy drive to work. SO I have no clue how to flash it. Any ideas?

I want to update my bios because I am having problems with SATA. Granted I do not know much about it or the bios to be honest. So I am not sure what my problem is.

I have a PATA drive that has my operating system on it. I bought the SATA drive to replace that one. When I installed the operating system on the Sata drive and removed the PATA one it said it couldn't find the hard drive. I played with the bios and nothing worked. I put the old hard drive back in and forgot about it.

Now my PATA drive is about to fail and need to get the SATA one working. What do I need to do to get it to work? Is it a bios upgrade or something else? I have four sata connections. I also have a Sata CD-Rom Drive and I cannot boot from that drive either. It works fine like the hard drive when Windows XP Pro is running. Both the Sata drives I have are connected to Sata ports 3 and 4.

System Info

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT600-8237
System Type: X86-based PC
BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 9/2/2003
SMBIOS Version: 2.2

CD_ROM: PLEXTOR DVDR PX-716A SCSI CdRom Device

PATA Drive: Maxtor STM3320620A
SATA Drive: Maxtor STM3500630AS SCSI Disk Device

The PATA drive get an error Called Reallocated Sector Count Value 1 Worst 1 Warn 36. I have no clue what any of that means.

I hope someone will be able to help me. I greatly appreciate any advice.

Shaun

a c 435 V Motherboard
December 22, 2009 10:14:00 AM

I use maxblast 5 to make an exact copy. If your ide drive is still working, use this software now before it fails completely. Maxblast will find your sata hardrive even when windows won't. You download the software off seagate's website, install it, run the utilities and set up your new sata drive as a boot drive, then set up for an exact drive to drive copy. The system reboots, and before windows loads, maxblast starts copying files. It takes about 5-10 minutes to copy all the files. Then you power down and disconnect the old ide drive and reboot with the sata connected.
m
l
December 23, 2009 7:44:21 PM

I have that installed. Thanks for letting me know how to do it! Was reading up on it and your version is a lot easier.

I am just concerned that when I take out the old drive when I go to boot the system it wll not find the sata drive.

I remember doing this before when I bought the sata drive and when I took out the old drive it would not boot because it could not find any drives.

But in my searchs for this prob I found out my SATA 1 and 2 slots do not work when I load windows. It wants me to install the drivers for it. If I hook up to 3 and 4 it finds them when the system loads. My point is I hooked it up to slot 1 last time i think. So it may work this time if I connect it to slot 3 or 4.

For some reason, if I read it right, my mobo has a two chipsets. A VIA and a Silicon Image Satalink chip. One chip drives two of the ports and the other drives the other too.

m
l
!