SATA to IDE Adapter, Drive Not Detected in BIOS

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I'm trying to install an old IDE Drive from my last computer into my new computer. I purchased an Ultra SATA to IDE Converter. I have everything hooked up as it shows in the Ultra diagram, including the power supply to both the IDE drive, and Converter (it requires a 4-pin power connector, in addition to the SATA Cable). All of my connections are tight, and I tried using both a different connection from the power supply, and a different SATA port (switched from SATA 2 to SATA 3), but nothing will make this thing work. The LED light on it does light up.

When I first tried to boot with it, my USB mouse froze, Windows tried to install a driver, and the Driver installation failed. The IDE Drive will not show up in the BIOS. I'm very curious about this attempted driver installation, since it seems like that could be my missing link (of course, the product literature says it needs no drivers, but I've seen that be wrong many times in the past). The driver has not tried to install itself again, despite repeated reboots. The adapter does not show up in my device manager.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to get the correct driver installed, or any other way to get this adapter working. I don't think it's DOA, since the BIOS does hang for about 30 seconds trying to auto-detect the drive (so it definitely sees it), and as I mentioned, the LED light is working fine.

Thanks

PS: Should I have the Master/Slave/CS jumper attached to the drive? I removed it, since it seems pointless on a SATA motherboard.

PC is an Intel running Windows Home Premium 64-bit

AARRGGHHH

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Just wanted to post this for the next person that runs into this issue. The jumper was the problem. Even though it's running on a SATA mobo, which doesn't use Master/Slave/CS, attaching the jumper on the CS setting solved the problem. The BIOS recognized the drive immediately. The first boot into Windows failed (I had to change SATA Mode back to its original setting (AHCI instead of ATA), every boot since then has been fine.

maly

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Jumper won's solve the problem for me. It's not so straightforward as you think. Any another ideas?

jaiden2012

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Know thread is a bit old. My specs are a core i3 2nd Gen i3-2100 on a P8P67 Pro board B3. Used that converter from ide to sata and set the thingy on the ide hard drive to CS! Booted win xp with blue screen. Connected to sata 2 port on motherboard. Good enough for me. Great info! Thanks guys!

blah_86

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
OkI hooked one of these up.. Here's what I found for those troubleshooting:

1. You CAN actually fit the IDE connector both ways. Upside down and right side up..
2. There's a pass thru SATA connector and when you have the wrong cable connected to your motherboard, it will still light up red even though you may have the IDE connector upside down.
3. In my case the jumpers on the device itself didn't make it not work.

So there's some things to try..

I found no devices were showing up in Bios. I checked and found out that the wrong SATA port was hooked up on the little adapater and that the IDE was connected upside down in both HDD and DVDROM.

Working now :)

TomsHardWhere

Reputable
Sep 6, 2014

I registered just to +1 this and to tell you that even though I'm a man, I believe you're a man, and I'm not even vaguely gay, right now I want to kiss you, right on your mouth.

Thank you.

jbrower

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014

I'll avoid the kissing out of happiness part one poster mentioned, but setting the IDE drive jumper to CS was important and my adapter setup is working now also.

Geist96

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

This was what worked for me also adding the CS jumper as well, thanks a million

mistercopyandpaste

Reputable
Jun 26, 2015

I came across this post while searching for a solution when trying to connect a sata drived pulled from a destop.

what worked for me finally was

1. connect the sata data cable
2. connect the sata power cable
3. plug in power supply,
4. wait 10 seconds to let the drive spin up
5. plug usb into computer

Pankaj_5

Reputable
Oct 2, 2015

Thank you so much man. Setting jumper to CS instantly solved the issue. I fiddled with connecting hard drive for about 2 n half hour, changing drive config in bios, switching sata ports etc. Then finally came to jumper. But I put that in slave mode which didn't work.

Then finally found this post.

You r good

Thanto

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Know this is an old post, but had to say thanks for this. Trying to get an idea drive to be recognized on a newer computer so I could clone it and just would not récognize. CS switch was the problem. Thanks a lot.