<1MB/s HHD transfer?

firestrike

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Ok, WTF?

I just built a brand new Sandy Bridge i5 2500k system with Windows 7 Home Premium on the C:\ (SSD). I have another SSD, D:\ from which I'm trying to copy about 7GB of files onto a 250GB WD 7200 Caviar SATA drive. At first, I dragged about 2GB worth of files from the SSD and it quoted me a transfer time of 2+ hours. I then dragged another 5GB of files from the same SSD, to the same destination HDD, and it said 10 minutes.

After a couple of minutes, speeds on both transfers had stabilized down WELL under 1MB/sec, with a completion time in excess of 11 hours. CPU load is 1%, memory ~30% (total 8GB). HD Tune benchmark on the HDD gives an average transfer rate of 55MB/sec.

What is going on?

firestrike

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
After testing, it appears that these transfer speeds are occuring between ALL of my drives, even from SSD to SDD (although not quite as low as from SSD > HDD).

HD Tune benchmarks for all drives are within the expected performance range, but disk-to-disk transfer is always <1MB-5MB/s...

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
A couple of simple things to check first -
Are the SSD drives configured properly in the BIOS? They should be RAID or AHCI - it doesnt matter that you dont actually RAID anything. Not SATA or anything else...

55M on the HDD is right on the mark

What about the SSD?

Whats the transfer speed between SSD to SSD?

firestrike

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
One SSD is around 155MB, the other 200MB (SATA 3) in HD Tune. If I start a transfer from one to the other, speed (according to Windows) starts around 70MB/s but quickly slows to under 2MB/s for the duration.

Will have to check the bio on the SSD setup.

firestrike

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Here's my BIOS setup. On the ASRock P67 Extreme 6 I have x10 SATA ports: x6 on an Intel controller (x4 SATAII, x2 SATA3) and x4 on a Marvell controller (x4 SATA3). ASRock recommends not using the Marvell ports for bootable devices and by default are disabled for booting in the BIOS.

There is not an option to individually control hard disk operation mode in the BIOS, only the operation mode for the Intel and Marvell controllers (IDE, AHCI, RAID). I have currently disconnected all optical and hard drives from the machine except for the SATA3 SSD that houses the Windows 7 install. The SSD is currently attached to the SATA3_0 port on the Intel controller, although I have tried this on other ports as well.

If I attempt to boot Windows with the controller set to AHCI or RAID, I get the "Windows is Starting" screen, the four dots begin to converge and then freeze, with an immediate BSOD and an error message that flashes too briefly to read followed by a reset.

Windows will only seem to boot with hard drive operation set to IDE, so for the moment I can't find a way to test the transfer speeds of the SSDs set in AHCI or RAID...