Sign in with
Your question

Asus 4850 1GB overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2009 5:44:17 PM

----------------------------------------------
This is my system:
ATI 4850 1GB
Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50 GHz (4 CPUs)
Win XP 32 Bit
3 GB RAM
2 Harddrives @ 7200 rpm
-----------------------------------------------

Dear TH community,

I am writing here today because my 4850 is overheating and I am (obviously) very desperate for help.

The crash
This has never happened outside graphical applications, such as games. When playing, my screen suddenly turns black, or is filled with horizontal lines of color, and the sound played the last ½ second before the crash starts looping like a machine gun. My computer does not respond at all at this point, so I have to reboot it by holding the power button down.

I've had the crashes happen at anywhere from 69 degrees. Mostly happening 69-80 (because it doesn't have time to get hotter).

How can I tell it's overheating?
Actually I'm not even sure it's overheating, but I am 99% sure it is.
I recently tried doing a stability test via Furmark. My pc did the weird crash after one minute and eighteen seconds. Which didn't surprise me, so to be sure I did a stability test again, but this time with my case open to let the card get colder. It took 1:21 for the second test.
In the first test, my starting temperature was 57 degrees.
In the second test, my starting temperature was 62 degrees.

And just as the computer crashed during the second test, I noticed the upper LED on my card was lighting red. Now, I googled a bit, and I discovered that the first led (which has some special name starting with D) lighting up means critical overheat / shut down to prevent overheating.

Oh, and the airflow in my case is pretty bad; the case is small and filled with cables (I can install an extra fan if needed though)

So, is this a bad card or just a bad case in need of an extra fan / misc?

Thanks for taking time to read my post, any help, or tips, are greatly appreciated. I also apologise for any spelling or grammatical errors if found.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 5:48:18 PM

80c is normal temp at load, it will not crash your PC. Your GPU can reach much hotter temps. This may be a PSU issue, what make and model do you have?

You can also download HWmonitor, run your tests and see where the card peaks at in terms of temp
m
l
July 18, 2009 5:54:29 PM

I have a corsair 520hx which should be more than fine I believe.

I'll boot up my main pc (writing from laptop) and test HWmonitor now.
m
l
Related resources
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 6:05:04 PM

is your CPU temp 57c at idle?
m
l
July 18, 2009 6:08:25 PM

It's usualy between 62-67 idle, as said on the piccie, that is one minute after boot (having been turned off for an hour with the case open even).
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 6:13:15 PM

your CPU is overheating
check your heat sink and fans make sure they are connected and seated properly
if that does not fix the issue
look into better cooling upgrades (better heatsink, more fans, better case)

a temporary solution is to remove a side panel and place a desktop fan next to your PC
m
l
July 18, 2009 6:16:28 PM

Hm, my CPU? I've tried using my old 8600 GT with almost as demanding tasks as I gave the 4850, and I've had no problems while using that card.

What temperatures are normal for the q9300 then?

Thanks for all of your answers and thanks in advance.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 18, 2009 6:23:52 PM

67c is considered hot for a CPU under load and yours idles at that temp

anything under 60c for load would be good, under 50c great

try the side panel and fan fix, it could be your 4850 is heating up the case too much. The card itself seems to be running under normal temps.

m
l
July 18, 2009 6:34:45 PM

So it's my CPU and not my GPU that's overheating? And the reason it works with the older card is because it creates less heat than the 4850? If that is true (please confirm I thought right), you've finished 2 months of work.

Thanks in advance.
m
l
July 19, 2009 12:29:53 PM

I just read that when the CPU crashes, you get a blue screen, which I've never got.
I'm confused now :\
m
l
a c 187 U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 2:06:11 PM

@ Udprod: Your CPU is overheating.
It looks from the temperatures as if the heatsink is not attached properly-two cores are 10C higher than the others, it's common for multi-core CPUs to have some variation from core to core, but not that much.
Not every CPU fail will cause a BSOD, that will only happen if the CPU executes one or more instructions incorrectly, on the other hand it may simply shut itself off without warning if it gets too hot too quickly.
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 2:37:16 PM

udprod said:
So it's my CPU and not my GPU that's overheating? And the reason it works with the older card is because it creates less heat than the 4850? If that is true (please confirm I thought right), you've finished 2 months of work.

Thanks in advance.

correct on your first question

I can't answer the second question without actually looking into your case but it's a possibility. Like i stated before and Cozzie stated, you need to get into your case and check out your heatsink and fans.

m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 2:40:08 PM

udprod said:
I just read that when the CPU crashes, you get a blue screen, which I've never got.
I'm confused now :\

what coozie said, it it gets too hot it will just shut down
m
l
July 19, 2009 9:56:51 PM

coozie7 said:
@ Udprod: Your CPU is overheating.
It looks from the temperatures as if the heatsink is not attached properly-two cores are 10C higher than the others, it's common for multi-core CPUs to have some variation from core to core, but not that much.
Not every CPU fail will cause a BSOD, that will only happen if the CPU executes one or more instructions incorrectly, on the other hand it may simply shut itself off without warning if it gets too hot too quickly.

Hi.

First of all, thanks for your answers.
I'm about to install an extra fan that will cool down both the CPU and the card. I'm just curious on why the LED, that only lights up when critical errors occour, lights up on my graphics card when it crashes.

If anyone could answer that I will be even more grateful than I am right now, and then the topic could be closed as solved.

So yeah again, thanks deeply for your replies, I'm hoping the fan will do the trick!
m
l
a c 187 U Graphics card
July 20, 2009 10:38:00 AM

Perhaps the CPU is not the issue, but then again it will become one if the high temperatures are not resolved, and quickly. I suggest you remove the heatsink and refit it. If you do not know, the thermal compound must also be replaced, remove it with pure alcohol before applying new material.
m
l
!