GA-P55A-UD3 reboot loop

zedex

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hello everyone,

I was running prime95 to stress test my Core i5 CPU, and it was all fine, and was running for around 15-20 mins, and the maximum temperature was hovering at around 60-62C.

All of a sudden, computer shuts down, and when I try rebooting, fan spins up for 1 second, and shuts of almost immediately, sounding like a short circuit, and smell a burnt wire. Tried pressing power button again, but nothing happens. Waited a few minutes, and it happens again, so thinking it was the PSU, I unplug everything and re-plug it in, and then it goes on a rebooting loop: computer/fan/motherboard boots up for 1 second, shuts down, waits 5 seconds, starts again... over and over. I have no way of seeing the BIOS version now, because it won't even turn on long enough for the monitor to come on. I also tried RST_CMOS and removing/replacing the onboard battery, but still nothing.

Since there is no PC Speaker I have no idea what the problem is, if it truly is a short circuit or not, and I couldn't find where that burnt smell was coming from.

The computer was working fine for over a week, until when I tried to stress test using prim95. It ran SuperPI flawlessly.

Any other tips on what might be the problem?

Thanks

zedex

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
oh also my parts:
Intel Core i5-750
Gigabyte P55A-UD3 mobo
OCZ Gold OCZ3G1600LV4GK 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 CL 8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Memory
Corsair TX650W PSU
Sapphire Radeon HD3850 GPU

toxicantidote

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
I'm having a similar problem with my GA-EX58-ETREME, except that now it won't turn on at all anymore.

In the past when it has gotten stuck in a reset loop I was able to fix the problem by disconnecting everything from my motherboard and connecting a second power supply to the motherboard to power up the motherboard only, waiting for it to post, then shutting it down and re-assembling my system with my original power supply.