Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Question for Corsair Dominator 8500 DDR2 owners (stability/problems)

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Corsair Dominator
Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 22, 2009 1:51:17 PM

To cut a long story short, months ago i had a lot of problems with bluescreens and stability which pointed to memory being faulty. I replaced the memory with some Dominators which ran ok for about a month and then i started getting blue screens again. So, i changed my motherboard and im still getting the same problem.

Ive put my Corsair Dominators into a new Maximus II Formula and im having no end of stability problems. Ive tried lowering the speed of the memory, adjusting the voltage and loosening timings but nothing i try seems to get these things running smoothly. Im currently using 2 x 2GB sticks. Ive done the usual and tested with memtest but this only throws up errors after a bluescreen. If i power off and boot straight into memtest, i can run days and find nothing yet if i run memtest while the pc is rebooting from a bluescreen i get thousands of errors. Ive tested each module separately too but its the same deal, i only find errors once the pc has crashed.

Now im not sure whether the old board has damaged my new corsair modules, if the processor is playing up or if the Maxmus II just flat out disagrees with this model of memory. Ive read about a bit on the corsair forums and looks as though a few people are having the exact same issues as me across different mobo's and so far i havent found a solution.

So to you guys, anyone running this RAM sucessfully, especially in a Maximus II? Any tips?

More about : question corsair dominator 8500 ddr2 owners stability problems

a b } Memory
December 22, 2009 3:41:51 PM

I have been using Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D (1066MHz: 5-5-5-15-2T, 2.1v) on a DFI-LP-DK-X48-T2RSB Plus for several months. As you did, I ran memtest86+ on each stick individually in each slot, before doing that again with both sticks in my final configuration. You didn't say whether or not you are OCing. It sounds like you have some bad/incorrect RAM settings in the BIOS. Be sure to read the stickers on the sticks to get the mfrs.' latency timings and voltage for those sticks.

With the power cord from the wall unplugged, clear your BIOS: CLR_CMOS (usually by jumper or removing the little round battery and waiting a few minutes for complete discharge of power to the board). Replace the jumper (or the battery), power up and enter the BIOS, make any changes you need from the default BIOS settings (RAID, HDD boot-order), enter the voltage settings area and increase the volts to the RAM as shown on the sticker, save, enter the latency section of the BIOS and enter the latencies shown on the stickers (enter only the latencies shown on the sticks, leave all the other latencies on automatic), save, re-boot to memtest96+. If no errors on those tests, re-boot to the OS and run some programs.

I suggest clearing the CMOS because some BIOSes retain settings you have already made (and may have caused your BSODs) unless you reset it to the default, and update the settings for your RAM.

Anonymous
a b } Memory
December 22, 2009 4:55:02 PM

Ive not done any overclocking yet. Im currently just testing the componants to make sure everything is in working order after having problems with my previous motherboard. Ive tried setting the speed, timings and voltage to the parameters stated on the sticks themselves. I even tried lowering the speed to 800. I'll clear the bios as you suggested and try again from scratch but the board is new and the only changes ive made to the bios are settings that apply to memory only.