Need help with raid 0 (noob)

hello. i have 3 sata drives, where i want to use raid 0 between 2 of them and then the 3rd plugged in independantly just for important data, in case of failure. this is possible, right?

i have a msi p43-c51 motherboard, which i don't know if it support raid 0? can anyone find this out for me as i see alot of contradicting info on google. thanks in advance, that's all my questions for now.

B.
3 answers Last reply
More about need raid noob
  1. Well.....based on the specs from your motherboard's website (never forget the obvious places to look) you don't have built in RAID capabilities. However, if you're really set on having a RAID array you could buy a sperate raid controller card off eBay or a brand new one and plug it into a pci/pci-e slot.

MSI Reminds you:
    Because of the limitations of chipset, this MB does not support Win98/ME.

.OverviewSpecifications
    Socket 775
    CPU (Max Support) Core 2 Extreme
    AM3 CPU Ready N/A
    FSB / Hyper Transport Bus 800/1066/1333/1600* (OC)
    Chipset Intel® P43+ICH10
    DDR2 Memory N/A
    DDR3 Memory DDR3 800/1066
    Memory Channel Dual
    DIMM Slots 4
    Max Memory (GB) 8
    PCI-Ex16 1
    PCI-E Gen 2.0 Gen2 (1x16)
    PCE-Ex4 N/A
    PCI-Ex1 2
    PCI 3
    IDE 1
    SATAIII N/A
    SATAII 6
    RAID N/A
    LAN 10/100/1000*1
    TPM 1
    USB 3.0 ports (Rear) N/A
    USB 2.0 ports (Rear) 6
    Audio ports (Rear) 6
    Serial ports (Rear) 1
    Parallel ports (Rear) N/A
    1394 ports (Rear) N/A
    eSATA N/A
    Display Port N/A
    VGA N/A
    HDMI N/A
    DVI N/A
    VGA Share Memory (MB) N/A
    DirectX N/A
    Form Factor ATX
    DrMOS N/A
    APS Y
    Sideport Memory N/A
    SLI N/A
    3-way SLI N/A
    Hybrid SLI N/A
    CrossFire N/A
    Hybrid CrossFire N/A
    D-LED2 N/A
    Green Power Genie

Purchasing a new motherboard might save you more money, but that depends on a number of things like the type of memory and processor you are using.
  2. First thing is that RAID 0 can produce some good numbers but its doesn't really make your system feel faster as implementing it does not decrease the Seek Time. RAID 0 can be useful if you have two smaller drives. Putting them into RAID 0 means you have "one" larger drive.

If you have important data then you are much better off with RAID 1 (mirror RAID). Having another single drive to keep important data on offers you no Redundancy whatsoever.
  3. thanks guys. i guess i'll wait until i need a new mobo someday, those raid cards are damn expensive, and if it doesn't speed up the system that much, i guess i'll settle with what i what i have for now.

thanks again.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Motherboards SATA Storage