Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Hi, I have just updated my PC. The configurations are as follows:

*Intel Core 2 Quad 9400

*Motherboard XFX 750i SLI

*RAM DDR2 Transcend 2 GB

*Sapphire Radeon 4890 1 GB.

*PSU- Tharmaltake 750 W

But the problem is My PC gets freeze at the middle of operation. It is constantly happening in the middle of playing game. I am trying to play call of duty 5, but within 10 minutes it gets frozen. My PC Case does not contain any single cooler fan except fans on graphics card, processor and PSU. Is it over heating problem? Should I change my PC Case? How can I rectify this problem? Thank you

The motherboard probably came with some monitoring software on the driver disc, use that to check the CPU temperatures.
For the graphics I like GPUZ because it's so small, but Rivatuner is more powerful, either will record temperatures to a log so you can check them at your leisure.
For the CPU: 15-20C above ambient at a moderate (1200-1600 RPM) fanspeed is normal at idle and abut 45-55C under load. The GPU should idle at 60C or less and not exceed 80C under load.

nahid08

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
Is adding more cooler fan will solve this problem? The shop where I bought this components, it suggested me to purchase ATI recommended PC Case (http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1303&ID=1420#Tab0). I have just noticed ATI Overdrive option in ATI Catalyst controller. I found some option to increase / decrease GPU and memory clock there. Should I decrease them? If so how much?

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Check your temperatures first. One way to prove if it is an overheating issue is to run an application with the case open and see if it works.

nahid08

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

In that case it may reduce the life of GPU Fan

nahid08

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

That was not my intention to ignore the advice. I just mentioned the ATI's warning message while unlocking the interface.

@ Nahid08: I understand your concern, it will shorten the life of the fan, by how much will depend on how high it is set but they are usually good for two years or so of normal use, even at higher speeds.
Several companies make replacement coolers, so even if the fan fails, it is not a total disaster, but make sure you have registered the card to get the full warranty, check your documentation, sometimes you need to register with the manufacturer, sometimes the supplier, sometimes the importer, it depends on the country you live in.

So, back on topic: What are the temperatures or have you already resolved this issue?

nahid08

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I have not solved it yet. Now I have just checked the default temperature in Catalyst Control Center.

Temperature: 63* C to 66* C

Activity Rate: 0% to 4%

Fan Speed: 27% to 30%

All them are either increasing or decreasing.

In "Enable Manual Fan Control" option the range of fan speed is 20 to 100. By default it is set by 50%. Is there any mismatching with fan speed? Default setting is 50% but fan is running in 27% to 30% ! How much should I increase the fan?

My PC Case does not contain any single fan inside the case except the fans on Graphics card, processor and PSU. There are only two ventilator on case cover. Should I switch PC Case with better one?

I'm planning to play Call of Duty 5 with the case open. Actually, System is getting frozen only in playing game. Desktop is running well.

Open the CCC.
Click on 'Overdrive'.
Click on the padlock icon to unlock the overdrive. (I think you've done this;))
Click the set manual speed icon. (it's been a while since I had an ATI card, so this may not be there).
Use the slider to set the speed to 40%
Click on 'Accept'
It will only set the speed once you click 'accept'
The fan will run at this speed all the time, from the moment the drivers load, just a few seconds after the Windows welcolm sound.

nahid08

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
But default set is 50%. Shall I decrease the speed to 40%? There is an icon of fan which is showing 27% to 28%. Are you saying about that icon fan? If I move the slider to right then will the speed in icon fan increase? I mean 40%.

nahid08

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009

g3force you are absolutely right ! I have just played the game with case open and It really worked. I played it one and half hour smoothly with case open and nothing happened (No freeze). So, is it overheat problem? should I switch the PC Case? (Go for that Thermaltake PC Case)