Realtek RTL8185 54m wireless LAN network adapter WPA-PSK TKIP Problems

Apocalikik

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I purchased and correctly installed a realtek rtl8185 54m wireless LAN network adapter card for my home PC. If i configure my router to not use a password and have an open system it works perfectly fine, however i live in the city and i prefer people to not steal my internet therefore i put a password on it using WPA-PSK TKIP. All of the laptops in the house have no problem with this and connect perfectly fine however the desktop will not work with the password enabled, I did change the configuration on the utility so that the password was entered in the right place but it just didnt connect, it found the signal immediately and it says there is 100% signal strength. I changed it from WPA to WEP and put a passkey in and the desktop worked! which is fine but the laptops wont work with the WEP, which is also fine because i know WEP isnt nearly as secure as WPA. I downloaded all of the most recent drivers for the rtl8185 and have tried everything in my power to get it to work with WPA but to no avail, i know the rtl8185 is a piece of junk but it seems to work perfectly fine with WEP or unsecured, anyone that could help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows xp Service pack 3 is my OS.

jr6456

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
I have the exact same problems as apocalikik. Already have the latest RTL8185 driver (as does apocalikik as he advised) as well as latest router firmware. These are Cisco access points. No one else on the network has this issue.

G

I have the exact same problem. The RTL8185 works fine on an unsecured system, but will simply not function on a secured system (WPA2). I have updated everything from video cards to firmware; all to no avail. My assumption is that this card simply cannot support WPA2.

msimango

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Here with the Solution for RTL 8185 windows 7

Here with solution for windows 7 RTL8185 AP mode

1) Go to my computer
2) Open the the drive where the program is installed, in most cases it is drive c:\
3) Browse to C:\Program Files\REALTEK\RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility
4) Find the following ini file 8185.ini if itis 64 bit windows 7 os the fie will be 8185x64.ini
5) Open to double click to open it will open with notepad
6) Delete all the contets of the file and copy and paste the following or create a text file on the desktop and rename it to 8185.ini then copy the detail below and replace the ini file in \Program Files\REALTEK\RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility

Below is the detail to copy

[Country]
AutoSelected=1
xxnCountry=2
[WLan Utility]
WZC=0
RtWLanTitle="REALTEK RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility"
MANUFACTURER="REALTEK"
Model_Name="REALTEK RTL8185 Wireless LAN"
NO_Adapter_TEXT1="REALTEK RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility"
NO_Adapter_TEXT2="Realtek Semiconductor Corp."
NO_Adapter_TEXT3="Copyright (c) 2003-2009"
[UI Config]
ICS_Page_SHOW="1"
MACfilterPage_SHOW="0"
AP_Mode_ENABLE="1"
AP_Mode_WPA_PSK_ENABLE="0"
WPA2_ENABLE="0"
AP_WPA2_ENABLE="0"
WDS_AP_Mode_ENABLE="0"
RT_SET_ENABLE="0"
802_1X_SHOW="1"
Link_ANY_ENABLE="0"
EzConfigPage_SHOW="1"
SimpleConfigPage_SHOW="1"
WiFiProtectSetPage_SHOW="1"
External_Registrar_SHOW="1"
AdvancedPage_SHOW="1"
DbgWnd_SHOW="1"
WLANModeTo90="1"
PowerSave_SHOW="0"
TurboMode_SHOW="1"
WirelessMode_SHOW="1"
PREAMBLE_SHOW="1"
Channel_Plan_SHOW="1"
XLink_SHOW="1"
WMM_SHOW="0"
RTS_Threshold_SHOW="1"
Fragment_Threshold_SHOW="1"
WOL_SHOW="0"
DATA_RATE_SHOW="0"
Throughput_SHOW="0"
VWiFi_SHOW="1"
[98UI Config]
AP_Mode_ENABLE="1"
AP_Mode_WPA_PSK_ENABLE="0"
WPA2_ENABLE="1"
WDS_AP_Mode_ENABLE="0"
RT_SET_ENABLE="1"
802_1X_SHOW="1"
EzConfigPage_SHOW="1"
SimpleConfigPage_SHOW="1"
WiFiProtectSetPage_SHOW="1"
PowerSave_SHOW="1"
TurboMode_SHOW="1"
WirelessMode_SHOW="1"
PREAMBLE_SHOW="1"
Channel_Plan_SHOW="1"
XLink_SHOW="1"
WMM_SHOW="1"
RTS_Threshold_SHOW="1"
Fragment_Threshold_SHOW="1"
WOL_SHOW="0"
DATA_RATE_SHOW="0"

7)You should be an administrator to this in windows 7
8)Disable and enable the wireless adapter
9)Satrt the REALTEK RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility.
10) Voila you even have more contro over your card.

For more detailed info why this works, please advise and will let you know.The entire answer for those who are tech inclined is in the details above. compare the old ini and the new one you will get all the answers.

Please advise if this was useful.

BillModlin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
The .INI file works fine on XP too... solved the problem completely for me. Thank you VERY much for posting it.

Once you put that .INI file in place and either reboot or restart the app, you get more tabs at the top of the Realtek Wireless Lan app... stretch the window if you do not see them. Last one is "Wi-Fi Protected Set" which gives you the pushbutton automatic connect and the PIN options for WPA setup.

I do not understand why Realtek ships out a crippled version.

jackandjill

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Found your suggestion as I too was having what looks like similar problems with the Realtek 8185.

I'm on XP and a later post suggests that your advice still works so I thought to give it a try

I didn't have an ini file, just a "text.file" with similar stuff in it but loads of [Step1] etc after the No_Adapter_Text

So I created a new text.file with your settings, disabled and enabled. No new tabs appeared in the Wireless LAN utility

I then tried renaming the new text.file as 8185.ini, disabled and enabled. Still no new tabes

Tried a reboot too

My driver is version 5.1114.917.2009. This was the latest I can find on the Realtek website

Any other thoughts ?

BillModlin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

I believe there must be an 8185.ini file somewhere on your system if you have the utility available.
On my system, this wound up as D:\program files\REALTEK RTL8185 Wireless LAN Driver and Utility\8185.ini
On most systems that would probably be C:, but my active windows system installation happens to be on D:.
Dunno why you don't find it... if using windows search make sure you allow searching system and hidden files?
(Since I am an old guy who tends to revert to DOS command windows and DOS utilities, I actually see it as
D:\PROGRA~1\REALTE~1\8185.INI, but ymmv. :) )

You might try opening a command window, then issuing the commands:
cd c:\ (assuming your system is installed to C )
dir 8185*.* /s

That should find it just to prove to yourself that it exists. Then you can work on finding it in windows and replacing it with the new version.

I found it easier and more comforting just to reboot rather that disabling and re-enabling the driver, but that is up to you :)

When I first did this I did not see the extra tab(s) until I stretched the window sideways.

Good luck... let us know how you fare

jackandjill

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Wow thanks for the quick reply, first time I asked a question on any forum. Great service thanks except that, even looking through DOS with your command (learned a new one there) I found no file 8185*.* and I only have a C: drive. I tested my command as OK by looking for other files.

I did also try stretching the window to the right but saw nothing

Unless you've any other thoughts, I will see if I can find the original CD and reload

BillModlin

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

Well. Just out of curiosity, Googled "realtek 8185 driver", got to a Realtek site that offered downloads.

I picked the one that said "UI package and driver support" version 1122 for WinXP (and others).

They also offer "driver only" downloads, which is not what you want.

I downloaded the zip file and looked inside it. I see an 8185.ini file that does NOT have the extra tabs enabled. I assume that if you install from this package you will wind up with the file on your system, and can then fix it with the information given above in this topic.

I did not try installing it myself, since my system is currently working fine and I have no desire to mess it up and have to fix it again. :)

When I used windows search function to find 8185.ini, I was surprised to find that there are quite a few copies on my system in addition to the active one... /shrug, not sure why. Only the one I modified has the configuration tabs activated.

Good luck.

jackandjill

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Thanks for the extra research.

I decided to Uninstall the software, and reinstall from the original CD, and it started working all by itself. Out of interest, the CD did not install any .ini files, so that's interesting n-est-ce-pas.

The CD was labelled Logilink with no mention of Realtek on the CD label. I presume that they have written their own driver set.

Anyway, I'm all good now so I'm going to leave well alone, thanks again though

dhnike

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

Win7 64Bit problems with Realtek 8185 wireless PCI card

Me 2, I think this is a crap card, I even mail Realtek and after explaining to them that there are more people with the same problem and that I have installed the latest driver from the website the ass mails me a link to their wedsite to try the new driver on the web and if that does not not work the I should let him know. Can't they read!!!!!! I have installed and un-installed this card 20+ times I even moved it to a other slot but I 'm at the point of wacking it with a Hammer.

Ooo I have tried this fix and it only worked for a day. Now even this does not fix the problem.

only1synergy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
i too am having problems with getting my Realtek RTL8185 Wireless Lan utility to work. I know my network works because I am post from laptop with wireless. I know the card in my desktop works because tested on another computer just last week. So card and network both good for wireless connection. However i did ini fix and have lastest drivers on Windows xp sp 3. It worked before until I did a restore from my boot disk which has sp3 in it. Didn't have any issues prior to that. My Utility show great signal strength but refuses to acquire network address. I did the ipconfig /all this is what it said:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name....................................:Owner
Primary Dns Suffix.........................:
Noted Type...................................:Broadcast
IP Routing enabled.......................:No
WINS Proxy Enabled.....................:No

Ethernet adapter wireless Network Connection 10:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix...:
Description.................................: Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter #2
Physical Address........................: 00-E0 (etc...it's private and complete address)
DHcp Enabled.............................: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled.........: Yes
IP Address..................................: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask...............................: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway.........................:
DHCP Server...............................: 0.0.0.0

Ok so what is going on with this? Anybody?

ATPLSV

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
This is for a Win 7 professional OS
I have something very interesting to share - and a BIG thanks to msimango who first posted this solution
Earlier today I bought a PCI Wireless Card manufactured by TP-link, with Realtek chipset. It gave me a hell of a time during installation and the issues were exactly similar to those described in this thread.

Before hitting this thread I had tried the following

1. Downloading the driver for Win 7 from the manufacturer's site www.tp-link.com
2. Tinkering with the utility provided by the manufcaturer
3. Numerous removing and fixings of the card in my computer
5. Then I hit upon this thread
6. First I tried fixing the 8185.ini file as described in this thread but the utility options would simply not expand as described in this thread
7. I was about to give up but then I decided to give it one last try as follows, it worked excellently well
--------
1. Googled "Realtek RTL8185 Wireless Lan utility" and hit upon the Realtek site, www.realtek.com and not www.realtek.com.tw from where I downloaded a zip file with the utility and the driver
2. From the Control panel -> device manager -> network adapters -> realtek 8185 I uninstalled the card from my system. It no longer appeared under the network adaptors list
3. Auto installed the Realtek utility
4. The utility also installed my card with the new driver
5. Disabled and enabled the card
6. Started the utility
7. I could see all extended menus in this utility and after the usual settings all was working well
---------
The conclusion is that once you have a card with Realtek chipset, you can dump the utility and drivers supplied by the card manufacturer and use the Realtek drivers and utility and get going