Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Freak BSoD playing Crysis

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 18, 2009 10:29:46 PM

Hi, earlier today me and my friend were playing Crysis, but in the middle of the game (actually I think it had just finished loading a level) it blue-screened on me, something that hasn't happened since I installed a dud driver a while back on my XP 64 bit system.

The error was something to do with nv4_disp.dll, I assume it's NVIDIA's fault.

But I have another suspect, which is my PSU. I have a 420 watt thermaltake PSU, do you think that's enough for my spec.s? I'll list them here:

CPU: Amd Athlon X2 6000 89watt TDP (brisbane)
RAM: 2x2GB (4GB) dual chanel DDR2 800mhz
MBO: single socket, nforce 520LE
GPU: nvidia 9800 GT 512MB
2 HDDs, one 250GB and one 750GB, both SATA
DVDRW drive
2 USB/firewire PCI cards

I'm worried that my system just needs a bit more juice, due not least to all variety of hardware. But I'm also a bit skeptical of my own theory, due to there never having been a 'freak' bsod like this before (apart from when I had bad sectors on my HDD, that's something different). I mean, I can do the exact same thing again and the bug isn't reproduceable. It was when I had bad sectors.

Plus, I can play games like GTAIV all day long with no problem, heck I can run crysis all day long normally!

Btw, the PSU does get quite hot, you can feel the hot air coming out of it at the back when the system's under load. It's quite warm now, and I'm just browsing the web.

Also, do you think that the BSoD would have reported a specific *.dll error if it was an underpowered PSU crash? I suspect it would probably have just fainted with 'unknown' error or something.

thanks in advance,
Fela
a b Î Nvidia
July 18, 2009 11:12:08 PM

if its a one time thing, don't worry about it

m
l
July 19, 2009 9:33:43 AM

ct1615 said:
if its a one time thing, don't worry about it

OK. If it happens again I'll look more into what's causing it. Maybe it's cause I use Linux primarily that if I see the OS crash, to me it has to mean a hardware/serious error! Maybe windows isn't like that though. In Linux I haven't heard of bad device drivers causing kernel panics, the only time I got one was when I didn't use a swap partition and had just 256MB RAM....it ran out of RAM and crashed.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know this is nothing to worry about.

EDIT: come to think of it, it was because my swap partition was actually corrupted (I did have one) - when it tried to get data back from the swap it was corrupted. This was ages ago so I can't really remember. The swap was corrupted because it was a very unstable development kernel, that I'd compiled myself.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 19, 2009 3:29:01 PM

that error usually comes with a corrupted driver Try updating your forceware or downgrade your forceware by 1 version if you have the latest forceware . It usually fixes it
July 30, 2009 8:17:45 AM

slick3 said:
that error usually comes with a corrupted driver Try updating your forceware or downgrade your forceware by 1 version if you have the latest forceware . It usually fixes it

I always use the latest stable drivers. In this case, 186 on winblows, 185 on linux.
m
l
August 6, 2009 11:55:01 AM

This post is pretty dead now, but I just want to tell you that this was something to worry about: it was my fifth or so head crash on my 750GB samsung harddrive. I had my sixth head crash yesterday (and it finally snuffed out :cry:  )

So if someone gets a 'freak' crash or hang while loading something from the harddisk....my advice is backup your data IMMEDIATELY. Luckily I had all my 4000+ pictures backed up, and managed to salvage most of my music.
m
l
!