Motherboard sparked, system wont stay on

taccyp

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
I recently upgraded my computer with a new PSU, ram, and video card. After I installed everything and turned the power on, a small spark came from my mobo followed by a small puff of smoke. The computer will turn on for about a second, all of the fans, begin spinning, including the video card and the processor fans; power is getting to the parts, but only for about a second or two. I swapped out my new power supply with my old power supply just to see if that might work, but that failed as well. I'm guessing my new PSU shorted out my motherboard. Now, do I send back the PSU and order a new motherboard? I've built a few computers over the years but I have never experienced a setback like this.

^umm, i wouldn't buy based off of reviews on newegg

but i would disconnect everything, send the PSU and Motherboard back

i don't know how returns work with combo's though (for refund), i would try a corsair 650w (probably a lot more than what is needed, but we don't know your system)

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Yeah, I've never heard of that company. Your motherboard is almost certainly fried, so that will need to be replaced along with the PSU. Try a PSU from Antec, Corsair, or Seasonic.