Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need advice on computer build.

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 27, 2009 2:55:49 AM

Alright, so ive got a computer that jsut isnt very good at all for playing wow (wrath of the lich king) and im planning on making a computer once i get a job and some money, so id love to make a system for not alot of cash. Im thinking around 700 to like 900 or even 1,000 dollars to spend after i save. so i was thinking maybe i could get some help on what to buy to make my computer. this price isnt including a moniter and a mouse. ( keyboard suggestions are nice) pleas help me.

More about : advice computer build

June 27, 2009 5:26:05 AM

1152x864 screen resolution, maybe overclocking and SLI or Crossfire is a maybe too. im not sure if there better or not,
Related resources
June 27, 2009 5:41:14 AM

Quote:
Im thinking around 700 to like 900 or even 1,000 dollars to spend after i save.


Come back to us AFTER you have the money. Anything we say now isn't going to be the best buy later.
June 27, 2009 3:59:25 PM

4745454b said:
Quote:
Im thinking around 700 to like 900 or even 1,000 dollars to spend after i save.


Come back to us AFTER you have the money. Anything we say now isn't going to be the best buy later.


i was kind of planning on buying parts along the way.
June 27, 2009 4:40:00 PM

You can do that but it isn't recommended.

For example, you purchase a MOBO from Newegg, you get a 30 day return policy from Newegg, you go to install all of your parts three months down the road... MOBO is DOA... you can't return it to Newegg for a replacement, you have to send it back to the Manufacturer.

Another example, you purchase a GPU from Newegg, you get a 30 day return policy from Newegg, you go to install all of your parts three months down the road... And now the DX11 cards on the market that are cheaper and twice as good as the card you just bought... you can't return it to Newegg for a replacement, you are stuck with the card.

Make senses?? The computer world is changing on a daily basis and it is best to wait until you have the actual money in hand, that way you can get the best parts for the with what is out at that time.
June 27, 2009 4:44:13 PM

You ever hear that song by Johnny Cash called Cadillac? If you take to long, the same could happen to you. A case should be a safe buy, as would a PSU. A harddrive would be next, but I'd get the CPU, Mobo, ram and video card together. The problem is I say get the 4870 now, and 4 months from now when the 5870/5850 come out the 4870 will be 1) cheaper and 2) not as powerful as the same priced (when you bought the 4870) 5850.

How much do you have to spend now? Now being the next month or so. Can your current system be upgraded?

JC! You don't even have the job yet? Seriously, come back when you have money to spend.

Quote:
im planning on making a computer once i get a job and some money
June 28, 2009 4:43:48 PM

4745454b said:
You ever hear that song by Johnny Cash called Cadillac? If you take to long, the same could happen to you. A case should be a safe buy, as would a PSU. A harddrive would be next, but I'd get the CPU, Mobo, ram and video card together. The problem is I say get the 4870 now, and 4 months from now when the 5870/5850 come out the 4870 will be 1) cheaper and 2) not as powerful as the same priced (when you bought the 4870) 5850.

How much do you have to spend now? Now being the next month or so. Can your current system be upgraded?

JC! You don't even have the job yet? Seriously, come back when you have money to spend.

Quote:
im planning on making a computer once i get a job and some money


dude im almost 16, you expect me to have a job right now?, but before buying a case wouldnt you need all the stuff to see what size case to get?
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 28, 2009 4:54:33 PM

No, cases come in a few different sizes, but if you look at your parts list you will already know what size case you need to get, the determining factor tends to be the length of the graphics card. If you get a good case it will work just fine.
June 29, 2009 1:33:51 AM

As I said in my first post, its useless to pick parts now, by the time you get the job, money, etc everything will be old. This isn't like picking a car, by the time you order it its out of date. Besides, if your 16 your first checks are probably going to the mall, dates, shoes you always wanted, etc. How much money at/near minimum do you think you'll be putting away?

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just injecting a bit of reality. A case is a good choice to start with. If you want to run powerful cards, you'll need a full size case. Go find one you like and buy it. Then get a good mid range/upper range PSU. (a nice 750W for example.) Keep working and saving, and you'll eventually get your computer. This is assuming your car or prom doesn't interfere to much.
July 4, 2009 2:48:39 AM

4745454b said:
As I said in my first post, its useless to pick parts now, by the time you get the job, money, etc everything will be old. This isn't like picking a car, by the time you order it its out of date. Besides, if your 16 your first checks are probably going to the mall, dates, shoes you always wanted, etc. How much money at/near minimum do you think you'll be putting away?

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, just injecting a bit of reality. A case is a good choice to start with. If you want to run powerful cards, you'll need a full size case. Go find one you like and buy it. Then get a good mid range/upper range PSU. (a nice 750W for example.) Keep working and saving, and you'll eventually get your computer. This is assuming your car or prom doesn't interfere to much.


Mmmk first no one likes me so i dont have dates, my shoes last me a while and i dont really no any shopping. This case i really like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... think it would fit every thing i really like it.
July 4, 2009 11:56:03 AM

Hmmm, I think I'm starting to see why... [/jk]

As for your case, not bad. Its a popular case, though no where near as popular as the 900, 1200, etc. I personally think the Antec 900 is one of the best looking cases ever made. Cases are a personal thing, so as long as you like it, get it. Its a full size, so it should hold everything you could ever need.
July 21, 2009 2:55:02 PM

4745454b said:
Hmmm, I think I'm starting to see why... [/jk]

As for your case, not bad. Its a popular case, though no where near as popular as the 900, 1200, etc. I personally think the Antec 900 is one of the best looking cases ever made. Cases are a personal thing, so as long as you like it, get it. Its a full size, so it should hold everything you could ever need.


okay, thanks.
!