Socket AM3 heatsink/fan fit socket 939?

Nicksta

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hi All

I bought a Phenom II 945 socket AM3. I do not need the AMD Heatsink and Fan.

I have someone who wants to buy it for an AMD FX-60 socket 939. Will it fit?

Thanks

Nicksta

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Anyone else? the info I see from the web and physically looking at the CPUs leads me to believe this guy could be wrong (the CPUs have the same size heat spreader).

I would be more inclined to believe this answer if it was not purely based on the rationale that the sockets are different so therefore it wont fit.

You'll often find that a change in socket type typically forces you to change heat sinks as well. Otherwise, you'd never buy a new heat sink and they'd go out of business. ;)

If it fits as your link indicates, then kudos to AMD.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If AMD bundles the heatsink, from a manufacturing standpoint it makes more sense to have the same heatsink for several sockets.

After all they're in the business of CPUs not heatsinks.

well that is possible (i know i'm not always right) due to that i haven't touch a amd cpu before.

Yes, it will work. The heatsink retention bracket's heatsink latch points are the same between sockets 754, 940, 939, AM2/AM2+, and AM3 and any heatsink that uses the latch points will fit on any of them.

The only heatsinks that are not interchangeable are those that call for the removal of the stock heatsink retention bracket and backplate. The screws that attack the bracket to the backplate have a different hole pattern between 939 and AM2/AM2+/AM3. Heatsinks that bolt through the motherboard are not interchangeable between 939 and AM2/AM2+/AM3 unless they specifically have the different hole patterns for both 939 and AM2/AM2+/AM3. Fortunately, AMD's stock bracket is strong and very few heatsinks bolt through AMD motherboards any more, even gargantuan units like Scythe's 1155-gram Orochi SCORC-1000 use the stock bracket.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Good info!

Nicksta

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Thanks! Its nice when you get an answer with qualification rather than an answer that is wrong as it is not based on anything. That's forums for you though.

I really appreciate the knowledgeable answer with explanation. Thanks again.