Upgrading a HDD from sata 3gb/s to sata 6 gb/s

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
So im thinking about upgrading my HHD. I have 2 questions.

1. What is the main difference I will see going from 3 to 6 gb/s. thats the short one lol.

2. I did read the guide at the top of this forum section, however it seems only to have info up to windows XP. If i do upgrade I would like to do so by copying one HDD to the other and not doing a fresh Install. So what is the best program to do this and will it be pretty easy once I get that program? I learn fast and have just finished my first build by myself never working on a computer before. The only help I had was this forum :) so im confident as long as its not to hard Ill be able to do this with just a little help and guidance.

Thanks in advance :bounce:

1. Make sure you plug into a SATA port on the motherboard that is rated for 6 GB/s

2. If you want to replace your HDD (higher capacity newer tech HDD) then you need to 'clone' the present HDD. I did this to a laptop and to two desktops very successfully using Apricorn's Drivewire. Details here: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39

This is available at most computer stores as well as directly from Apricorn. Very helpful folks!