478 or 479?

singhie

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I am in a bit of a bind.

I have a Dell D620 Laptop from school. But it crapped out on me after 5 years of abuse (poor thing). I wanted to salvage the CPU (Intel Core Dou T2400, nickname Yonah) and the hard drive for a build (desktop). But after doing a bit of research on the socket the CPU and totally confused the hell out of me. Some people say its socket 478 others say 479. I used CPU-Z to find what the socket it was and it said 479 but some people claim that the CPU-Z is incorrect.

I am totally lost, could some tell me what socket the Intel Core Dou T2400 (Yonah) uses?

Note. It was previously in a laptop(Dell D620) and now I want to use it for a desktop.

Thank you in advance

You have a mobile cpu, socket 478. I can't tell you if it will work in a desktop motherboard. The voltage specs are different. I tried using a turion notebook cpu in a regular socket 754 board, and the cpu fried, most likely from the higher voltage. You'll need a motherboard with adjustable voltage; I would set it to 1.0 manually. You'll also need a special heatsink, since your cpu had no lid. Might be better to sell it in anandtech's "for sale" section and use something else. 478 cpus are cheap; starmicro has a good selection of older cpus.

Ah, this is a fun little topic.

1. The T2400 is a Socket Munit, as are all Core Solo and Duo units.

2. Intel has made no less than four 478-pin sockets, none of which are compatible with each other. The first was Socket 478 for P4s, the second was Socket 479 for the Pentium M, the third one was your Socket M for Core Duos and 533/667 FSB Core 2 Duo mobile chips, and the most recent one is Socket P for the newer 800 and 1066 MHz FSB Core 2 Duo mobile chips.

3. CPU-Z does suck as to identifying which socket the 479/M/P units use. It also frequently screws up identifying the LV and ULV mobile chips that use a 479-ball BGA mounting pattern.

You can get a desktop motherboard for that Core Duo, but they are pretty rare and pretty expensive. A unit like the Jetway J9F2 would work with that chip. Newegg has the newer Socket P version of that board (JNF93R) for $200. That Core Duo T2400 isn't a particularly impressive CPU and is considerably slower than even the current dual-core Celeron line. Plus, it's 32-bit-only. If I wanted a cheap, cool-running computer, I'd get something like the Celeron Dual Core E3200 or the Athlon II X2 240 and put them in a standard, inexpensive desktop motherboard. Both CPUs are considerably faster than the T2400 (particularly the Athlon II) and you can get the CPU, an inexpensive LGA775/AM3 motherboard, and a couple of gigs of RAM for the ~$200 a Socket M desktop board would cost.

Laptops are sadly largely disposable and un-reusable. I have a couple of them sitting on a shelf due to mechanical damage that I am trying to find a use for, but it's just not doable in many situations. One of them has a Socket 478 2.2 P4-M that can actually work in a desktop 478 board that I'd love to use but can't find a good board for the right price (very cheap to free.) The other is a 2.5-year-old tablet with a broken and not-replaceable (out of production) hinge with a nice BGA479 Core 2 Duo U7500. I know I should get rid of them, but it's just soooo hard to...

I was going to say something about that, but I didn't. It didn't really add much to the conversation.

The original Core Duo (Yonah) were on what was known as socket M, I am not sure what the pin count on that was.

478 pins. It was the third 478-pin socket Intel had developed- 478 was the first, 479 was the second (the name is a misnomer), M was the third, and P was the fourth and last 478-pin socket out of Intel.