Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5870 causing POST delay on Striker Extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
December 22, 2009 10:33:15 PM

Previously ran: 2x Asus 8800GTX in SLI. Complete boot into windows in 45 sec.
POST immediately upon push of power button.

Bought 1x XFX Radeon 5870 and installed. Steps followed:

First: I removed all NVIDIA video drivers, control panel and ntune. I powered off the
system and removed the 8800 GTX's.

Second: Installed the 5870 and started the system. Immediately the system would
"hang" for 45-50 seconds, reading in the LCD poster: Chipset Det Dram. After 45-50
secs the system would beep once, POST, and boot into windows.

Third: After installation of ATI Catalyst Drivers and Control Panel, I performed a system
reboot. Upon reboot, the system again "hangs" or delays POST, the LCD reading:
Chipset Det Dram. After 45-50 secs the system beeped then booted into windows.

Fourth: Did some research, in which they suggested a voltage issue. I have a 1000
watt PSU. I adjusted the RAM voltage from 1.8 to 2.1, but still the system refuses to
POST until 45-50 secs. During the hang time, the CD drive is attempting to read,
though there is nothing in the drive and it is not enabled as a boot device in the BIOS.

BIOS and drivers are up to date and current.

1. What is causing the system to not POST until after 45-50 secs and how is this
issue resolved?

2. How can a GPU cause a failure to POST?

3. Could the fact that the board has a nvidia chipset be the issue? Some type of proprietary BS from nvidia?

Asus tech support did not help and immediately stated that an nvidia board will not work with AMD GPU's.

I have a mediocre tech knowledge for these things. If you do have a potential solution, please provide a quick step by step. Also, prepping to upgrade to windows 7 64-bit. 4GB of additional RAM ready as well.

CPU stats:
ThermalTake Armor w/ 25cm side fan; Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800; Asus Striker Extreme; Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120; Kingston HyperX 4GB; Enermax Galaxy 1000W; 2x Asus EN8800 GTX; Thermal Take TMG SL1 (Between Video Cards); WD 75 GB Raptor (OS); Cooldrive 6 (OS); WD 250 GB (Storage); WD 150GB Raptor X (Game Drive); ASUS 16x; Windows XP Service Pack 3
February 23, 2010 2:06:27 PM

I have exactly the same issue. I just bought an Asus Radeon 5870.

Corsair 750Watt PSU
Asus P5N32E-SLI motherboard

Haven't had a chance to troubleshoot it much yet, am going to start with a BIOS upgrade.

Am thinking the Motherboard is having trouble detecting the slot settings for the 5870.
m
l
February 23, 2010 9:33:39 PM

This looks like the winner, from the ASUS BIOS update site:

Version 1903

Description P5N32-E SLI BIOS 1903
Fix it takes long time to screen show with certain AMD graphic card when booting up the system.

File Size 889.44 (KBytes)

Will try it tonight and let you know!

m
l
Related resources
February 24, 2010 1:38:03 PM

Fix confirmed, I applied that BIOS update and the system now boots up as it should. :) 
m
l
March 4, 2010 5:49:01 PM

Thats cool to hear that ASUS can fix the problem - problem being that they havent released this fix for Striker exteme mobo!!

The P5N32-E was fixed in December. Striker Extreme - not at all yet.
m
l
April 13, 2010 6:33:54 PM

I have also found myself in the same situation; I have a Striker Extreme and just upgraded my 9800GTX+ black edition for a HD5780 vapor X :( 
Really hope that Asus do a bios update soon to fix this, as I loved everything about the motherboard till now.
m
l
April 14, 2010 4:50:16 PM

Goon333 said:
This looks like the winner, from the ASUS BIOS update site:

Version 1903

Description P5N32-E SLI BIOS 1903
Fix it takes long time to screen show with certain AMD graphic card when booting up the system.

File Size 889.44 (KBytes)

Will try it tonight and let you know!

Do you know if this bios update will work on the striker extreme? and if so do you have a copy of it because asus is not allowing it as an option for download. I am currently in the middle of obtaining the parts for a new build but i have this one sold only difference is that i am taking my 5870 out to put into my new build and putting the 5750 back in, i have this problem with both cards taking 30-40 seconds before the striker extreme logo post screen. Another odd thing i find is that on any other radeon based card i have used you normally get a prepost screen with the cards p/n# but not with the 5xxx series cards.
Thanks
m
l
April 16, 2010 6:40:00 PM

azazelnydm said:
Do you know if this bios update will work on the striker extreme? and if so do you have a copy of it because asus is not allowing it as an option for download. I am currently in the middle of obtaining the parts for a new build but i have this one sold only difference is that i am taking my 5870 out to put into my new build and putting the 5750 back in, i have this problem with both cards taking 30-40 seconds before the striker extreme logo post screen. Another odd thing i find is that on any other radeon based card i have used you normally get a prepost screen with the cards p/n# but not with the 5xxx series cards.
Thanks

Unfortunately this bios i not compatible with Striker extreme - i checked after reading this post.

The long wait continues
m
l
April 16, 2010 11:21:37 PM

Thanks for checking into that...in another week or so when the rest of my new parts arrive i won't have this problem but i was kinda hoping to solve the issue before selling it. I will just have to make the buyer aware of the issue is all and if it's a problem for them i have a 4870 that i could swap out for him.
m
l
June 4, 2010 9:34:59 PM

They have finally released a new bios to correct this problem - a mere fortnight after i sold my ATI card and went back to my old components arghh!

At least its fixed - time to buy my ATI again, i hate the Nvidia turbine noise now!!
m
l
June 7, 2010 12:02:06 PM

pentavrit said:
They have finally released a new bios to correct this problem - a mere fortnight after i sold my ATI card and went back to my old components arghh!

At least its fixed - time to buy my ATI again, i hate the Nvidia turbine noise now!!

Thanks! After some unexpected bills i had to put off my i5 build So i am still runnign the striker extreme with the 5870 and the post problem was very annoying. especially waiting for that beep when your oc'd to the max and not knowing if the oc has failed or is it just the gpu card lol. Anyhow this bios works like a charm. And now that the new unlocked i5 and i7's are out for under 250cnd$ for the i5 and under 300cnd on tigerdirect i am glad my build got put off.
m
l
April 28, 2011 3:18:03 PM

megavolt said:
I have also found myself in the same situation; I have a Striker Extreme and just upgraded my 9800GTX+ black edition for a HD5780 vapor X :( 
Really hope that Asus do a bios update soon to fix this, as I loved everything about the motherboard till now.

Hi megavolt,

I have the same situation with this graphics card,is there any solution yet??could you reply me to my email please please quattro4v8@freemail.hu

THANKS A LOT
m
l
!