How to overclock e7500 core 2 duo @2.93ghz???

DArky_08

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hello guys,
I was thinking of overclocking my CPU which is e7500 core 2 duo @2.93ghz.
what should be new overclocked GHZ i mean what is safe 3.33 or 3.6 and how to overclock??

do i need better cooler like cooler master???

is it safe for long term view???

my full rig
core 2 duo@2.93
2*2gb=4gb ram 800mhz
motherboard:ASUS p5kpl-cm

I have an E7500 running at 4.1 GHz in an old Gigabyte motherboard.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

The Wolfdale CPU's are pretty efficient (65 watt TDP). You will need better than stock cooling, though, if you decide to really push the overclock. The necessary core voltage will vary with your chip's VID. The VID of DArky's chip is about average.

Do not exceed Intel's max recommendation of 1.45 volts. And keep your load temps under 70 C.

General_Terror

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Your temperatures already are a bit high. Can you post your idle and full load temperatures ?
I have a core 2 duo e7400 2.8 GHz stock, clocked at 3496.5 ( 333 x 10.5 ), at stock cooling, which has prime95 in-place large fft temp at a max of 72 Celsius and idle temperature is around 38,39 and 40.

General_Terror

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
How much are you going to OC your processor ? The purchase of that cooler will be justified by the answer to this question.
I think you don't want to go that far with your processor, and that's why that cooler would be a waste of money. Just re-apply the thermal paste and I think you'll be fine with your current cooling.

DArky_08

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

as i already said what wud be safe. either 3.33{correct me if im wrong} or 3.60...i'll do...now tell me buying a cooler can justify??

DArky_08

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

sir,
can u explain all these things in simple way.
i mean i am new for overclocking thing.
thats why i want ur advice regarding this.i can provide more stats if u want abt my pc...

Unfortunately overclocking a Core2 CPU is not a cookbook process. It requires a pretty good idea of what every BIOS adjustment does because you need to know whether to leave that particular adjustment on Auto or to change it and if so, how much.

It's further complicated by the fact that different motherboard manufacturers use different terms for many of the same settings. For that matter, nVidia 6XX/7XX chipsets, Gigabyte P45, and Asus P45 boards all use different overclocking schemes.

That is why a guide for your particular motherboard is so valuable. That is also why we always ask what kind of motherboard you have.

While I have been doing this for a while :), all of my Core2 OC experience has been with nVidia chipsets or Gigabyte motherbards. I do not have any first hand knowledge of Asus motherboards. Back when Core2 CPU's were state of the art, I considered getting an Asus board just for that reason, but I already had 4 personal desktop systems.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

homiezheadsup

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2010
I agree jsc. I have an E6600 that should be capable of somewhere in the high 3.xghz range with proper cooling. But with my motherboard, I can only get a stable 3.0ghz and a slightly higher volt, even though heat is not an issue. I idle at 39C and full load at 60C. It's just how my chipset works, the cpu can take more heat and power but the MB is limited. Within the 775 socket there are several different chipsets, and that is why it is so important to find a OC guide for your particular set.

melloorr

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
I have a the same CPU as you and I have to say that your CPU temps are pretty high. Mine are idle at about 40c and I have just overclocked it (with the stock cooler) to 3.2GHz and the temps is now around 55c. I would say you should reapply the thermal compound, or replace you heatsink (as it may be on its way out)