Sign in with
Your question

Local pc shop going under, 7800GTX's for 25$ a piece.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 19, 2009 3:24:16 PM

Normally I wouldn't consider buying cards as old as 7800's but there are 4 cards for 25 bucks a piece brand new in boxes (yeah, it's pretty sad when I think about it).

Wondering if I may do good by buying them. All of them are Evga cards, not like it really matters but for the price I could toss them in a few low budget systems for fun.

Iso: Opinions.

If you had the money to burn would you consider them?
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 3:55:54 PM

I mean if you could sli i think it would be a okay investment, oh ya not to mention what games do you play and at what resolution? You can find a 9600gso online now for like 35-50$.
July 19, 2009 4:26:50 PM

invisik said:
I mean if you could sli i think it would be a okay investment, oh ya not to mention what games do you play and at what resolution? You can find a 9600gso online now for like 35-50$.

It wouldn't really be for hardcore gaming. Just pissing around mainly. Right now I'm on xfire 4890's in my main pc. Got random vid cards laying around and wouldn't mind tweaking out some 7800's. I think they went for like 600 back in 2005ish? But I'm just thinking of using them for random system builds i.e. guest pc & such. Just trying to figure out if 25 is too much. I mean, they haven't sold yet so I could just go say here's 80 bucks for all 4 and hope they dont laugh :D 
Related resources
July 19, 2009 10:37:43 PM

It's not ethical (probably not legal either), but if EVGA conveniently doesn't know how much you paid for them, you may be able to try stepping the cards up.
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 10:45:57 PM

if theyre the 512 versions, buy em
a b U Graphics card
July 19, 2009 11:04:03 PM

trkorecky said:
It's not ethical (probably not legal either), but if EVGA conveniently doesn't know how much you paid for them, you may be able to try stepping the cards up.

You have to show a reciept for purchase when you do a step up. So they will Always know how much you paid.

@Op If you have a use for the cards now, then it's not a bad price. But not great, and you can find better deals after rebate on better cards if you look.
July 19, 2009 11:04:39 PM

put them in a backup system and OC them, come back and post how high you managed to get them to.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2009 12:24:52 AM

I'd buy them at $25 a piece, pretty sure you'd get more than that back on ebay, probably double.

While I realise the ethics involved in it might be dubious, it's also just a fact that if you don't, somebody else will.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2009 12:47:26 AM

No different than going to a garage sale for resellables really, and if they are the 512 versions, its a steal
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2009 1:00:25 AM

Yeah you're right jd. In fact I done it before myself when PC World sold 6600gt's for £100 (down from £200) over one christmas holiday. It just feels a bit unfair that I would buy something cheap and resell it without basically doing anything.

There were a glut of cheap 6600's on ebay at that time too, so in a way you are actually helping to get cheaper cards to the end-user even if you are profiting from doing nothing much.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2009 1:05:05 AM

Exactly. Like doing most business, its buying for less and selling for more. Its still you recognizing the potential, and you doing the footwork etc
July 20, 2009 1:15:22 AM

orangegator said:
You have to show a reciept for purchase when you do a step up. So they will Always know how much you paid.

@Op If you have a use for the cards now, then it's not a bad price. But not great, and you can find better deals after rebate on better cards if you look.

Ding!

All taken care of:

http://www.customreceipt.com <------------- If you wish to tweak it at all.
July 20, 2009 3:39:39 AM

If you need to send the receipt with the cards i would put tax amounts and other stuff maybe even make it look like the actual receipt buy doing a discount at the very end for each card. This way it would look like they sold it to you at retail value but you had some type of credit.
July 20, 2009 5:33:37 AM

Thanks guys. I'll probably pull the trigger on em. Not sure if I want to sell em but it's a possibility. I kind of want to try to catch one on fire in a pos build >.>
July 20, 2009 12:44:41 PM

I still have 7800GTX in SLI, they are over 4 years old and still going strong. For DX9 stuff they are fine. 25$ for a possible step-up is not bad of a gamble.
!