NEED HELP! Will GTX275 WORK WITH SETUP!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130475

Case:
Antec 900 Mid Tower Case
Motherboard:
Nvidia 680i Sli Lt
Processor:
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2Ghz
RAM:
2 x 1 GB Corsair and extra 512 Mb
Hard Drive:
500gb Maxtor HDD at 7200 RPM (Sata)
Video Card:
EVGA GeForce GTX 275 896MB
CD/DVD Drive:
HP Lightscribe (Sata) DVD+R 22x DVD-RW 6x DVD-RAM 12x
PSU:
600 Watt lifetime PSU
Operating System:
Windows XP Sp3
17 answers Last reply
More about need help gtx275 work setup
  1. If your PSU is only rated for 600W over it's entire lifetime, I'd say no... ;)

    Jokes aside, it would help a lot if we actually knew the make/model and/or specs of the power supply. The rest seems fine, but a 275 might be a little on the overkill side unless you're using a monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200/1680x1050 or greater.
  2. RazberyBandit said:
    If your PSU is only rated for 600W over it's entire lifetime, I'd say no... ;)

    Jokes aside, it would help a lot if we actually knew the make/model and/or specs of the power supply. The rest seems fine, but a 275 might be a little on the overkill side unless you're using a monitor with a resolution of 1600x1200/1680x1050 or greater.


    It's a lifetime PSU... yeah maybe I should buy a new psu... how about the GTX 260? Or Sli 9800gt?
  3. The brand is "Lifetime" ??? Never heard of it. Got a link to it or can you list it's specs? You should be able to find the specs on the sticker on the side of it. 3V, 5V, & most importantly, the 12V amp ratings are what we need. Also, does it have any PCIe 6-pin power cables?
  4. i would get rid of that PSU asap, a bad PSU can take out your whole system when it dies
  5. Also, you may want to take the "extra" 512mb stick of memory out and just run a normal, 2Gig, dual-channel setup. With 3 DIMMs installed, it's probably running in single-channel mode. It probably doesn't match the timing and voltage specs of the 2GB kit, slowing things down even further, and potentially damaging the memory.
  6. Is it possible for you to overclock that E4500?
  7. mindless728 said:
    i would get rid of that PSU asap, a bad PSU can take out your whole system when it dies


    So can good ones, they're just less likely to do so due to better design.
  8. I wouldnt want to run a 275 on that PSU i would definatly consider down grading the GPU if needed in order to get a better PSU.
    Also the CPU is on the weak side for the 275 at stock and probably would restrict it even overclocked.
    A GTX 260 would be a better fit but either way i think the CPU would need overclocking to take full advantage of it, which would also benefit from you having a better PSU.

    What sort of resolution are you looking to game at and what games are you playing ?
    +1 for taking out the 512 of memory also.

    Mactronix
  9. I also have a ? regarding the gtx275. My PSU and GPU recently bit the dust. I eventually am going to upgrade my cpu/mobo/ram but I would like to be able to use my comp again until i can afford those upgrades.

    I currently have:

    AMD FX60 2.60 ghz
    2gb pc3200 ram
    ASUS mobo w/ only a PCIe 1.0 slot

    I use to have an 8800GTX and was able to run pretty much everything at high/very high/ultra @ 1680x1050 res.

    Would I see a performance increase from the gtx275 with that setup or would it be about the same as with my 8800GTX?

    Thanks
  10. Okay then what graphics card should I get for this PSU?
  11. mactronix said:
    +1 for taking out the 512 of memory also.

    Mactronix


    Thanks Mac.


    Mastershake, again we need the SPECS of the PSU in question. Until those are provided, I wouldn't hook-up a 10-year old motherboard to it.
  12. You know... this whole time I was thinking, "I wonder if he means the Ultra "Lifetime" series PSU..." LOL

    If that's the right one, he should be fine with a GTX260 Core216. It's missing the additional 6-pin PCIe connector for a 275, but a converter might work...

    I don't consider Ultra PSUs high-end products, but they're not total garbage, either. The 32A on the 5V rail inflates that thing's total wattage rating, which is probably 600W peak, not continuous.
  13. RazberyBandit said:
    You know... this whole time I was thinking, "I wonder if he means the Ultra "Lifetime" series PSU..." LOL

    If that's the right one, he should be fine with a GTX260 Core216. It's missing the additional 6-pin PCIe connector for a 275, but a converter might work...

    I don't consider Ultra PSUs high-end products, but they're not total garbage, either. The 32A on the 5V rail inflates that thing's total wattage rating, which is probably 600W peak, not continuous.


    Yeah sorry for not mentioning that. It is but yes it is the 'Ultra Lifetime PSU'.
  14. RazberyBandit said:
    Thanks Mac.


    Mastershake, again we need the SPECS of the PSU in question. Until those are provided, I wouldn't hook-up a 10-year old motherboard to it.



    Form Factor: ATX
    Wattage: 600-Watt
    Modular Cabling: No
    Special Features: Manual 130v & 220v Switching
    Fan: 120 mm

    Input Voltage: 115 ~ 230

    +3.3V: 25 A
    +5V: 32 A
    +12V 1: 32 A
    -12V: 0.6 A
    +5VSB: 2 A

    Motherboard Connector: 20+4 Pin
    4-Pin/8-Pin EPS Connector: 1
    6-Pin PCI-Express Connector: 1
    4-Pin Floppy Connector: 1
    4-Pin Peripheral Connector: 6
    SATA Power Connector: 2
  15. Psycho's right about at least one part - the power supply. You could OC the CPU, too, if desired. And it wouldn't hurt... Mainly because that CPU won't allow a GTX275 to truly perform at it's maximum level.

    That said, the main question asked was, "Will it work?" The simplest answer is yes, but in addition to the CPU limitations, there are some other mitigating factors.

    First, you'd have to use a 4-Pin-Molex to 6-pin-PCIe adapter. Second, the PSU's 12V amperage rating is a maximum of 32Amps. In a full-load situation, the GTX275 alone will easily pull more than half that maximum rating, which will begin to stress the PSU. Over time, the more stress a PSU goes through, the less dependable and more likely to fail it will become.
  16. No good, that PSU only has 1 PCIe 6 pin cable, you'll need 2. I have a Ultra Pro 650w the Lifetimes big brother and it handles my MSI GTX 275 TwinFrozr OC fine.
    I would wait until you can afford a new build. Just buy 1 year old componants, they're cheap, you don't need the best you can get, they'll be old in a year anyway. Just buy a used card for now. The 8800 GTX is better suited for you rig. I had a 8800 Ultra that went on me a couple months ago, hence the 275. XFX RMAed it with a GTS 250 512mb, not bad for a RMA. $700 down to a $150 card oh well, its compatible, that's all they promise you.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product