Sign in with
Your question

Fan Controller

Last response: in Overclocking
July 1, 2011 2:22:41 PM

Are the Scythe Kaze Master Pro + Scythe GentleTyphoon 5400 compatible?
I seem to fail at getting it to work. I am only able to let it run at ~5400 RPM, but I would be happy if there is a way to throttle it down a bit.
Am I connecting something wrong?
Thanks in advance.

More about : fan controller

a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2011 4:00:05 PM

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forum!

The fan controller described can be used to control any fan, and Scythe is a good brand.

Does the fan in question have a by-pass or something that will connect it directly? Or, is the control setting turned on to the max.?

Try different channels.
m
l
July 1, 2011 4:46:43 PM

The Fan isn't really connected to the Controller, it's connected with a Molex to my power supply and with a tachometer 3-Pin to the Fan Controller. I already tried to connect it with a 3-Pin to Molex adapter, but if I do so it won't even start to run.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2011 6:33:58 PM

Noleen said:
The Fan isn't really connected to the Controller, it's connected with a Molex to my power supply and with a tachometer 3-Pin to the Fan Controller. I already tried to connect it with a 3-Pin to Molex adapter, but if I do so it won't even start to run.

Connect the fans controller to the power supply. Then connect the fans that you want speed controlled to the fans controller.

If you connect the fans directly to the power supply, they will run at the full rated speed.
m
l
July 1, 2011 7:11:37 PM

Seems like the typhoon 5400 needs almost 3 amps of start up power but the Kaze Master only has 1 amp per channel. Nothing I could do about that, right?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 1, 2011 7:52:55 PM

Noleen said:
Seems like the typhoon 5400 needs almost 3 amps of start up power but the Kaze Master only has 1 amp per channel. Nothing I could do about that, right?

All motors will draw a high surge current during start; this is momentary in the case of a fan. As long as the full load current is less than 1 Amp, everything will work fine.

However, if for some reason, the fan blades are blocked from rotating, or encounter high resistance, then something will burn up.
m
l
!