Solved

Most Apps will not load, why?

Ever since installing Win8 (clean install), most apps do not work. e.g. Ebay, Netflix, Newegg, flightaware, maps, ...all just bring up their logo/start screen and flash back to the start page. Skype works.

I do notice if I mouse to the left side of the screen, all the previous apps that didnt load, show up as choices...If I select them, they just sit with their logo screen..thats it.

Another, no idea if related, is I installed Handbrake and it does not load. No errors, just never loads or executes. There are no logs in the appdata folder either...in fact, no reference to handbrake.

I assume something is amiss,but no idea where/how to start here.

thx
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about most apps load
  1. are you on a surface rt or a desktop/laptop?
  2. desktop. xps420
  3. Do you have a third party firewall installed? If so, disable it and then try loading the apps again. I notice this behavior every so often if I try to enter the Windows Store, and my system doesn't have an IP address from my router yet. Once I have an IP and network connectivity, the Store loads fine.
  4. I found elsewhere that these symptoms appeared to be an issue with. Net framework. The only wag I felt to sort it was to repair the install. I booted to Win8 Dvd and selected refresh the install. It worked well and the apps work!
    But. After initial reboot it asked which windows 8 boot I wanted to load. That was confusing to me but I picked one. It works well but it appears I have 2 installs/boots. How can I check and delete one?

Thx
  5. I wanted to report back. I originally thought there was a dual boot scenario because how it asked which boot to load. It no longer asks that. I was trying to determine where all my disk space had gone. I use a 120gb SSD for Windows and some key programs. It was down to 30gb. I found that when refreshing Win8, it created a Windows.old folder that had all my previous programs plus windows. That was the space hog.
  6. Best answer
    Yup... the Refresh option moves everything to the Windows.old folder and sets up a fresh copy of Windows. Gets a bit confusing if you don't realize what it's doing.

Now that it's working after the refresh, I would also check and make sure the hibernation file is disabled (unless you actually use hibernation), and make sure the paging file is moved on to a standard spinning magnetic drive instead of the SSD (assuming one is present).
  7. Best answer selected by SMITHSONGA.
  8. thanks. I did that previously but had not yet on this new install. I actually setup no paging file as I have 6gb of ram.
Ask a new question

Read More

Clean Install Apps Windows 8