How do I Remove Unwanted BHOs?

July 5, 2004 2:24:40 PM

Please, excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong area. If so, please
direct me to the correct area for posting.

How can I remove an unwanted BHO?

I have a system with Windows XP Pro and PestPatrol keeps telling me that
I have a pest that I cannot remove.

The pest is TOPicks and it is being controlled by the following registry
key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA

I have tried to delete it using PEstPatrol, but every time that I tell
PestPatrol to delete that key, I get the following message:

"Not deleted; insufficient rights"

How can this be? I am logged in as the system administrator for this
computer!

I have tried using Ad-aware as well, but it can't even find the problem.

Manual attempts to delete this key manually using Regedit have failed as
well.

I have used msconfig to disable everything possible without success.
I've even logged in using Safe Mode, but I still am unable to delete
this thing!

I have looked for any file or directory with "TOPicks" in the name but
have found none.

I have found other unwanted tool bars in my Internet Explorer, but I
can't delete then either.

Is there a utility in Windows XP Pro that would allow me to delete
unwanted stuff like this?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray

More about : remove unwanted bhos

Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:49:29 PM

Uninstall TOPicks from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.
Look for entries called 'AM Server' and 'POP'.

TOPicks - Adware removal instructions
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/topicks/in...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23zq0QvpYEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
RayMich <RayMich76@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
> Please, excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong area. If so,
> please direct me to the correct area for posting.
>
> How can I remove an unwanted BHO?
>
> I have a system with Windows XP Pro and PestPatrol keeps telling me
> that I have a pest that I cannot remove.
>
> The pest is TOPicks and it is being controlled by the following
> registry key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA
>
> I have tried to delete it using PEstPatrol, but every time that I tell
> PestPatrol to delete that key, I get the following message:
>
> "Not deleted; insufficient rights"
>
> How can this be? I am logged in as the system administrator for this
> computer!
>
> I have tried using Ad-aware as well, but it can't even find the
> problem.
>
> Manual attempts to delete this key manually using Regedit have failed
> as well.
>
> I have used msconfig to disable everything possible without success.
> I've even logged in using Safe Mode, but I still am unable to delete
> this thing!
>
> I have looked for any file or directory with "TOPicks" in the name but
> have found none.
>
> I have found other unwanted tool bars in my Internet Explorer, but I
> can't delete then either.
>
> Is there a utility in Windows XP Pro that would allow me to delete
> unwanted stuff like this?
>
> Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ray
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:00:08 PM

Wesley, thanks for the quick response.

I looked in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and neither
"AM Server" or "POP" show up.

I accessed the link you sent and searched for every single file
mentioned there and cannot find any of them in my system.

I have this helper toolbar in my Internet Explorer that I never
installed and can't get rid of it. When I right click on The helper bar
area in IE there is an entry with no name at all, only a check mark. If
I uncheck that blank entry, the tool bar is hidden, but I cannot remove
it. The blank entry is still there and if I click on the blank, the tool
bar returns.

PestPatrol keeps telling me that I have a TOPicks entry in my registry;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA

but no matter what I do, I can't remove it. I've even tried deleting by
using RegEdit but no luck!

How can I delete that registry entry? every time I try to delete it
while using RegEdit, I get the following message

"Error Deleting Key - Cannot delete Altnet: Error while deleting key."

I have tried using MSConfig to do a Diagnostic Startup as well as
restarted in Safe Mode to no avail. the key cannot be removed!

I still can't figure out where the files for the above mentioned phantom
toolbar in IE are hidden. It appears for ALL user in Internet Explorer.

Ray

=====================================

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> Uninstall TOPicks from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.
> Look for entries called 'AM Server' and 'POP'.
>
> TOPicks - Adware removal instructions
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/topicks/in...

July 6, 2004 5:59:45 PM

Ray,

[[TOPicks also has distribution agreements with other popular Internet
software, that provide TOPicks as a bundled bonus to their users. If you
have TOPicks on your computer, and you have not installed it yourself, this
is probably how it was installed.]]

You may not be able to get rid of the offending registry key(s) until you
get rid of all of the related files on your machine. The files, or parts
there of, may recreate the key(s).

Check this one out first >>>>
TOPicks
http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/t/topicks.asp

Remove TOPicks Adware
http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_TOPicks.ht...

TOPicks
http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=613

How to Detect and Remove TOPicks?
http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_topick...

TOPicks 1.5
http://www.regblock.com/spydet_613_topicks.html

================

Also, you *need* more than one antiscumware program.
One will not cut the mustard!! Now, for the canned reply.............

First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
perform a particular task.]]

Enable Install On Demand (Other)
[[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
particular task.]]

Apply | OK
======================

Second. If you need a scan right now.

Follow the instructions!
THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

======================

Third.
It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.

Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates.

1) CWShredder direct download:
http://216.180.233.163/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

2) SpywareBlaster
[[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
ever being installed.
The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
SpywareBlaster is the most
powerful protection program available.]]

3) Spybot S & D
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=...

4) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)

4a) HijackThis (direct download)
http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...

6) ToolbarCop
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

7) AdAware

===============

Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....

Additional information & instructions.
A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315#appliesto

Spyware and Deceptive Software
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.msp...

What you should know about spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

Cleaning Up XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:en7wSPuYEHA.2868@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
RayMich <RayMich76@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley, thanks for the quick response.
>
> I looked in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and
> neither "AM Server" or "POP" show up.
>
> I accessed the link you sent and searched for every single file
> mentioned there and cannot find any of them in my system.
>
> I have this helper toolbar in my Internet Explorer that I never
> installed and can't get rid of it. When I right click on The helper
> bar area in IE there is an entry with no name at all, only a check
> mark. If I uncheck that blank entry, the tool bar is hidden, but I
> cannot remove it. The blank entry is still there and if I click on
> the blank, the tool bar returns.
>
> PestPatrol keeps telling me that I have a TOPicks entry in my
> registry;
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA
>
> but no matter what I do, I can't remove it. I've even tried deleting
> by using RegEdit but no luck!
>
> How can I delete that registry entry? every time I try to delete it
> while using RegEdit, I get the following message
>
> "Error Deleting Key - Cannot delete Altnet: Error while deleting key."
>
> I have tried using MSConfig to do a Diagnostic Startup as well as
> restarted in Safe Mode to no avail. the key cannot be removed!
>
> I still can't figure out where the files for the above mentioned
> phantom toolbar in IE are hidden. It appears for ALL user in Internet
> Explorer.
>
> Ray
>
> =====================================
>
> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>> Uninstall TOPicks from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control
>> Panel. Look for entries called 'AM Server' and 'POP'.
>>
>> TOPicks - Adware removal instructions
>> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/topicks/in...
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 5:29:01 PM

Wesley,

Thanks again for your reply.

Some additional info:
1. A found some Altnet directories and files in my computer - I read
that these also are some type of scumware, so I deleted them. I also
found directories and files for MyWay. I deleted them also. None of
these can be found in my Add or Remove Programs utility.

2.I searched the registry for MyWay and deleted all references to that
as well

3. I searched my registry for altnet and have been able to delete all
entries EXCEPT for the one that started all this.

4. I have tried using MSconfig as well as starting in Safe Mode. - Still
NO LUCK!

5. I have tried followed all instructions in the pestpatrol website for
removing topicks and have found NO instances of any of those files in
that computer.

6. I am running Ad-aware on all my computers as well as PestPatrol and
Norton Antivirus. PestPatrol is the only one that has found this
problem, but can't fix it!

7. I have used Spybot S & D on another computer in the past and got
totally screwed up with it. I finally had to uninstall it and delete all
directories and files it created. I also had to roll back by using
"System Restore" before I could even access the internet again. This
experience has made me leary of trying Spybot S & D on this computer.

8. I have tried using HijackThis in the past, but I never got a single
response after I posted the log file on their website, so I figured it
would be a waste of time now.

9. I will try downloading CWShredder and see what it finds. I'll try the
others you have suggested here also.

10. As far as my Internet Options are concerned,
Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) was UNCHECKED
Enable Install On Demand (Other) WAS checked so I unchecked
it

What would happen if I unchecked the entry that reads
Enable third-party browser extensions

BTW- My Internet Explorer still has a phantom toolbar that only appears
as a "blank" with a check mark. If I uncheck it, the toolbar will hide,
but I can click on the blank and the toolbar reappears. I still have not
found where it keeps its files.

I'll keep you posted.

Ray

Wesley Vogel wrote:
> [...]
> http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
>
> 5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...
>
> 6) ToolbarCop
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
>
> 7) AdAware
> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>
> ===============
>
> Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....
>
> Additional information & instructions.
> A wealth of information here, boys and girls.
>
> THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>
> THE PARASITE FIGHT
> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>
> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>
> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

July 8, 2004 8:07:52 AM

Ray,

Download CWShredder, install, open update and run it.

10) In Internet Properties (as well as many other MS programs) there is a
[?] in the upper right hand corner, next to the Close [X]. Click the [?] |
A ? will attach itself to your cursor | Click something | If info is
available | a Balloon will popup.

? Enable third-party browser extensions
Clicking the ? on the above ^^, brings up this.
[[Specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with
Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than
Microsoft.
If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve,
you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are
causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart
Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off.]]

I have it UNChecked!!!

I will check back tomorrow, I'm tired.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:u8pLmfEZEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> [...]
>>
>> 5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
>> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...
>>
>> 6) ToolbarCop
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
>>
>> 7) AdAware
>> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>>
>> ===============
>>
>> Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
>> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....
>>
>> Additional information & instructions.
>> A wealth of information here, boys and girls.
>>
>> THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>
>> THE PARASITE FIGHT
>> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>>
>> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
>> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>>
>> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software

July 8, 2004 8:08:38 AM

> [...]

>> 5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
>> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=...
>>
>> 6) ToolbarCop
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
>>
>> 7) AdAware
>> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
>>
>> ===============
>>
>> Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
>> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems....
>>
>> Additional information & instructions.
>> A wealth of information here, boys and girls.
>>
>> THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>>
>> THE PARASITE FIGHT
>> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>>
>> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
>> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
>>
>> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software

September 17, 2004 10:09:50 PM

RayMich wrote:
> *Wesley,
>
> 3. I searched my registry for altnet and have been able to delete
> all
> entries EXCEPT for the one that started all this.
>
> >[/vbcol] *

I had this problem and found that the owner was set to another user on
the PC. As I was logged in as Administrator, I simply changed the owner
to Administrators and could then delete. Shouldn't happen, so far as I
am concerned, the Administrator should be able to control everyhting in
the registry, but there you are.

--
kacolly