How do I Remove Unwanted BHOs?

Please, excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong area. If so, please
direct me to the correct area for posting.

How can I remove an unwanted BHO?

I have a system with Windows XP Pro and PestPatrol keeps telling me that
I have a pest that I cannot remove.

The pest is TOPicks and it is being controlled by the following registry
key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA

I have tried to delete it using PEstPatrol, but every time that I tell
PestPatrol to delete that key, I get the following message:

"Not deleted; insufficient rights"

How can this be? I am logged in as the system administrator for this
computer!

I have tried using Ad-aware as well, but it can't even find the problem.

Manual attempts to delete this key manually using Regedit have failed as
well.

I have used msconfig to disable everything possible without success.
I've even logged in using Safe Mode, but I still am unable to delete
this thing!

I have looked for any file or directory with "TOPicks" in the name but
have found none.

I have found other unwanted tool bars in my Internet Explorer, but I
can't delete then either.

Is there a utility in Windows XP Pro that would allow me to delete
unwanted stuff like this?

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ray
7 answers Last reply
More about remove unwanted bhos

    Uninstall TOPicks from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.
    Look for entries called 'AM Server' and 'POP'.

    TOPicks - Adware removal instructions
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/topicks/index.phtml

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:%23zq0QvpYEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    RayMich <RayMich76@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Please, excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong area. If so,
    > please direct me to the correct area for posting.
    >
    > How can I remove an unwanted BHO?
    >
    > I have a system with Windows XP Pro and PestPatrol keeps telling me
    > that I have a pest that I cannot remove.
    >
    > The pest is TOPicks and it is being controlled by the following
    > registry key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA
    >
    > I have tried to delete it using PEstPatrol, but every time that I tell
    > PestPatrol to delete that key, I get the following message:
    >
    > "Not deleted; insufficient rights"
    >
    > How can this be? I am logged in as the system administrator for this
    > computer!
    >
    > I have tried using Ad-aware as well, but it can't even find the
    > problem.
    >
    > Manual attempts to delete this key manually using Regedit have failed
    > as well.
    >
    > I have used msconfig to disable everything possible without success.
    > I've even logged in using Safe Mode, but I still am unable to delete
    > this thing!
    >
    > I have looked for any file or directory with "TOPicks" in the name but
    > have found none.
    >
    > I have found other unwanted tool bars in my Internet Explorer, but I
    > can't delete then either.
    >
    > Is there a utility in Windows XP Pro that would allow me to delete
    > unwanted stuff like this?
    >
    > Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Ray

    Wesley, thanks for the quick response.

    I looked in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and neither
    "AM Server" or "POP" show up.

    I accessed the link you sent and searched for every single file
    mentioned there and cannot find any of them in my system.

    I have this helper toolbar in my Internet Explorer that I never
    installed and can't get rid of it. When I right click on The helper bar
    area in IE there is an entry with no name at all, only a check mark. If
    I uncheck that blank entry, the tool bar is hidden, but I cannot remove
    it. The blank entry is still there and if I click on the blank, the tool
    bar returns.

    PestPatrol keeps telling me that I have a TOPicks entry in my registry;

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA

    but no matter what I do, I can't remove it. I've even tried deleting by
    using RegEdit but no luck!

    How can I delete that registry entry? every time I try to delete it
    while using RegEdit, I get the following message

    "Error Deleting Key - Cannot delete Altnet: Error while deleting key."

    I have tried using MSConfig to do a Diagnostic Startup as well as
    restarted in Safe Mode to no avail. the key cannot be removed!

    I still can't figure out where the files for the above mentioned phantom
    toolbar in IE are hidden. It appears for ALL user in Internet Explorer.

    Ray

    =====================================

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
    > Uninstall TOPicks from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel.
    > Look for entries called 'AM Server' and 'POP'.
    >
    > TOPicks - Adware removal instructions
    > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/topicks/index.phtml

    Ray,

    [[TOPicks also has distribution agreements with other popular Internet
    software, that provide TOPicks as a bundled bonus to their users. If you
    have TOPicks on your computer, and you have not installed it yourself, this
    is probably how it was installed.]]

    You may not be able to get rid of the offending registry key(s) until you
    get rid of all of the related files on your machine. The files, or parts
    there of, may recreate the key(s).

    Check this one out first >>>>
    TOPicks
    http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/t/topicks.asp

    Remove TOPicks Adware
    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_spy_rm_TOPicks.html

    TOPicks
    http://www.spywareguide.com/product_show.php?id=613

    How to Detect and Remove TOPicks?
    http://www.securemost.com/articles/trou_3_remove_topicks.htm

    TOPicks 1.5
    http://www.regblock.com/spydet_613_topicks.html

    ================

    Also, you *need* more than one antiscumware program.
    One will not cut the mustard!! Now, for the canned reply.............

    First. Make sure of these settings and nothing will install without you
    answering YES. (Except what may install as part of some other software.)
    Don't click YES if you don't know/trust the source.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options | Advanced tab |
    Make sure both of these are NOT checked.

    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Internet Explorer
    components if a Web page needs them in order to display the page properly or
    perform a particular task.]]

    Enable Install On Demand (Other)
    [[Specifies to automatically download and install Web components if a Web
    page needs them in order to display the page properly or perform a
    particular task.]]

    Apply | OK
    ======================

    Second. If you need a scan right now.

    Follow the instructions!
    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php

    ======================

    Third.
    It is known as scumware. Visit these sites. 1, 2, 3 and 4 are really good.

    Download, install, run, update and run again; one or all. They are all
    good, FREE utilities. Make sure you update every program, even if you
    just downloaded it. You must have the latest updates.

    1) CWShredder direct download:
    http://216.180.233.163/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

    2) SpywareBlaster
    [[SpywareBlaster doesn't scan and clean for spyware - it prevents it from
    ever being installed.
    The most important step you can take is to secure your system. And
    SpywareBlaster is the most
    powerful protection program available.]]

    3) Spybot S & D
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

    4) HijackThis (some other stuff that may be of interest also)

    4a) HijackThis (direct download)
    http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip

    5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit

    6) ToolbarCop
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm

    7) AdAware

    ===============

    Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml

    Additional information & instructions.
    A wealth of information here, boys and girls.

    THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;827315#appliesto

    Spyware and Deceptive Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx?gssnb=1

    What you should know about spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    Cleaning Up XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cleanup

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:en7wSPuYEHA.2868@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    RayMich <RayMich76@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley, thanks for the quick response.
    >
    > I looked in Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control Panel and
    > neither "AM Server" or "POP" show up.
    >
    > I accessed the link you sent and searched for every single file
    > mentioned there and cannot find any of them in my system.
    >
    > I have this helper toolbar in my Internet Explorer that I never
    > installed and can't get rid of it. When I right click on The helper
    > bar area in IE there is an entry with no name at all, only a check
    > mark. If I uncheck that blank entry, the tool bar is hidden, but I
    > cannot remove it. The blank entry is still there and if I click on
    > the blank, the tool bar returns.
    >
    > PestPatrol keeps telling me that I have a TOPicks entry in my
    > registry;
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\altnet,na,na,07/05/2004,00-02-A5-E4-2D-B0,USA
    >
    > but no matter what I do, I can't remove it. I've even tried deleting
    > by using RegEdit but no luck!
    >
    > How can I delete that registry entry? every time I try to delete it
    > while using RegEdit, I get the following message
    >
    > "Error Deleting Key - Cannot delete Altnet: Error while deleting key."
    >
    > I have tried using MSConfig to do a Diagnostic Startup as well as
    > restarted in Safe Mode to no avail. the key cannot be removed!
    >
    > I still can't figure out where the files for the above mentioned
    > phantom toolbar in IE are hidden. It appears for ALL user in Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > Ray
    >
    > =====================================
    >
    > Wesley Vogel wrote:
    >> Uninstall TOPicks from Add/Remove Programs in the Windows Control
    >> Panel. Look for entries called 'AM Server' and 'POP'.
    >>
    >> TOPicks - Adware removal instructions
    >> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/library/topicks/index.phtml

    Wesley,

    Thanks again for your reply.

    Some additional info:
    1. A found some Altnet directories and files in my computer - I read
    that these also are some type of scumware, so I deleted them. I also
    found directories and files for MyWay. I deleted them also. None of
    these can be found in my Add or Remove Programs utility.

    2.I searched the registry for MyWay and deleted all references to that
    as well

    3. I searched my registry for altnet and have been able to delete all
    entries EXCEPT for the one that started all this.

    4. I have tried using MSconfig as well as starting in Safe Mode. - Still
    NO LUCK!

    5. I have tried followed all instructions in the pestpatrol website for
    removing topicks and have found NO instances of any of those files in
    that computer.

    6. I am running Ad-aware on all my computers as well as PestPatrol and
    Norton Antivirus. PestPatrol is the only one that has found this
    problem, but can't fix it!

    7. I have used Spybot S & D on another computer in the past and got
    totally screwed up with it. I finally had to uninstall it and delete all
    directories and files it created. I also had to roll back by using
    "System Restore" before I could even access the internet again. This
    experience has made me leary of trying Spybot S & D on this computer.

    8. I have tried using HijackThis in the past, but I never got a single
    response after I posted the log file on their website, so I figured it
    would be a waste of time now.

    9. I will try downloading CWShredder and see what it finds. I'll try the
    others you have suggested here also.

    10. As far as my Internet Options are concerned,
    Enable Install On Demand (Internet Explorer) was UNCHECKED
    Enable Install On Demand (Other) WAS checked so I unchecked
    it

    What would happen if I unchecked the entry that reads
    Enable third-party browser extensions

    BTW- My Internet Explorer still has a phantom toolbar that only appears
    as a "blank" with a check mark. If I uncheck it, the toolbar will hide,
    but I can click on the blank and the toolbar reappears. I still have not
    found where it keeps its files.

    I'll keep you posted.

    Ray

    Wesley Vogel wrote:
> [...]
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
    >
    > 5) Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner v1.13
    > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit
    >
    > 6) ToolbarCop
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
    >
    > 7) AdAware
    > http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    >
    > ===============
    >
    > Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    > http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml
    >
    > Additional information & instructions.
    > A wealth of information here, boys and girls.
    >
    > THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    > http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    >
    > THE PARASITE FIGHT
    > Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    > http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >
    > Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
    > http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
    >
    > Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites

    Download CWShredder, install, open update and run it.

    10) In Internet Properties (as well as many other MS programs) there is a
    [?] in the upper right hand corner, next to the Close [X]. Click the [?] |
    A ? will attach itself to your cursor | Click something | If info is
    available | a Balloon will popup.

    ? Enable third-party browser extensions
    Clicking the ? on the above ^^, brings up this.
    [[Specifies that you want to disable features you installed for use with
    Internet Explorer that may have been created by companies other than
    Microsoft.
    If you encounter problems with Internet Explorer that you cannot resolve,
    you can use this option to help determine if third-party features are
    causing the problems without uninstalling the feature. You must restart
    Internet Explorer after turning this option on or off.]]

    I have it UNChecked!!!

    I will check back tomorrow, I'm tired.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:u8pLmfEZEHA.2520@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> [...]
    >> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit
    >>
    >> 6) ToolbarCop
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
    >>
    >> 7) AdAware
    >> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    >>
    >> ===============
    >>
    >> Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    >> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml
    >>
    >> Additional information & instructions.
    >> A wealth of information here, boys and girls.
    >>
    >> THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    >>
    >> THE PARASITE FIGHT
    >> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >>
    >> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
    >> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
    >>
    >> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    >>
    >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

> [...]

    >> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/index.html?source=appvisit
    >>
    >> 6) ToolbarCop
    >> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/toolbarcop.htm
    >>
    >> 7) AdAware
    >> http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/
    >>
    >> ===============
    >>
    >> Problems uninstalling? Here's some advice.
    >> http://www.kephyr.com/spywarescanner/uninstallproblems.phtml
    >>
    >> Additional information & instructions.
    >> A wealth of information here, boys and girls.
    >>
    >> THE PARASITE FIGHT QUICK FIX PROTOCOL
    >> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    >>
    >> THE PARASITE FIGHT
    >> Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    >> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >>
    >> Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups
    >> http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/Darnit.htm
    >>
    >> Dealing with Unwanted Spyware and Parasites
    >>
    >> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    RayMich wrote:
    > *Wesley,
    >
    > 3. I searched my registry for altnet and have been able to delete
    > all
    > entries EXCEPT for the one that started all this.
    >
    > >[/vbcol] *

    I had this problem and found that the owner was set to another user on
    the PC. As I was logged in as Administrator, I simply changed the owner
    to Administrators and could then delete. Shouldn't happen, so far as I
    am concerned, the Administrator should be able to control everyhting in
    the registry, but there you are.

    --
    kacolly

Configuration Windows XP