GA-P55A-UD3 Question (RE:Foxxcon and LOTES)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So this issue has been beaten to death but I'll ask it anyhow. But before I do, I will mentioned I've done my own research and looked at my motherboard physically. It's got the LOTES bracket but if you look close at the actual socket, that still says FOXXCON. WTF? I was under the impression that Gigabyte had put a halt to using those sockets until the issue with quality was resolved. So I'll go ahead and ask a few questions. I apologize if these have been asked ad nausea.

1) Was the actual issue with the Foxxcon related to a physical defect with the actual SOCKET (what you put your CPU into) or was it related to a poorly designed retention bracket? This is something I am totally unsure on.

2) According to my own research the issue with the defective sockets (if that was the actual issue who knows?) was quickly corrected and all of the currently used (Since I am guessing June since from what I can tell the issue arose around May?) in production models (like my P55A-UD3) have had the issue corrected. If that is the case then a)How can I tell what version of the socket I have? b)Since WHEN have they started using the new sockets?

Anyhow, those are my questions and I hope someone on the board here can give me some answers. I plan to OC later on, but I don't want to risk frying a $200 chip and a $140 motherboard. I am aware how hypocritical that sounded. I don't want to ADD risk to the OC procedure. I know every OC there is a chance you can destroy your setup.

Thanks and all comments are appreciated!

Solution
I didn't look as carefully as you did, I just got the board, i7 860 and running slowly @ 3.52GHz since last night. Everything seems to be OK, I don't know how long it would take to burn these CPU due to foxconn bad designed socket. I think I read this one on Anandtech or something like that. I didn't want to turn off all these EIST and other power saving functions and OC too much. I hope it will run well for a long time. My i7 920 with X58 platinum has been running quite well and stable for almost a year now @3.8GHz.
I think the socket kill the CPU @5GHz or higher.

Cheers,

ltooz

myrig
l2s@ltooz.com

ltooz

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I didn't look as carefully as you did, I just got the board, i7 860 and running slowly @ 3.52GHz since last night. Everything seems to be OK, I don't know how long it would take to burn these CPU due to foxconn bad designed socket. I think I read this one on Anandtech or something like that. I didn't want to turn off all these EIST and other power saving functions and OC too much. I hope it will run well for a long time. My i7 920 with X58 platinum has been running quite well and stable for almost a year now @3.8GHz.
I think the socket kill the CPU @5GHz or higher.

Cheers,

ltooz

myrig
l2s@ltooz.com

Solution
G

I was thinking it would be safe to go up to 4 Ghz since folks seem to be able to get that and still be within Intel voltage specs (Intel limit is 1.4V http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLBLC) But I've been told that that is WAY too high on an air cooled system to be safe (the voltage, not the speed.) I've heard of folks hitting 4 Ghz on 1.25-1.3V. And if your going over that, your begging for a issue anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.