ATX Power connectors on GA-790FXTA-UD5 , confused

kurtd

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hey all,

I have a GA-790FXTA-UD5 MB and a ABS DARK BERET seriesDB1000-M-BRZ 1000W power supply.

I'm a bit confused with connecting the PS to the MB. The power supply has the 20+4 main connector which is fine. The motherboard also has an 8 pin ATX_12 connector. The power supply didn't come with anything to connect to that. \

Did I buy the wrong PS? Is that an optional connector?

Plus, I don't understand this text from the manual. It refers to protective covers and there were no covers...

1/2) ATX_12V/ATX (2x4 12V Power Connector and 2x12 Main Power Connector)
With the use of the power connector, the power supply can supply enough stable power to all the components on the motherboard. Before connecting the power connector, first make sure the power supply is turned off and all devices are properly installed. The power connector possesses a foolproof design. Connect the power supply cable to the power connector in the correct orientation. The 12V power connector mainly supplies power to the CPU. If the 12V power connector is not connected, the computer will not start.
• To meet expansion requirements, it is recommended that a power supply that can withstand high power consumption be used (500W or greater). If a power supply is used that does not provide the required power, the result can lead to an unstable or unbootable system.
• The power connectors are compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V and 2x10 power connectors. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and a 2x12 power connector, remove the protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard. Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector.

G

it only fits one way, and you should be fine with using the 4 pin on it, assuming your not OCing to any extreme. At least that's what I've been doing. I suppose you could break down and get a new PSU or at the least an adapter.

Best o' luck!

kurtd

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I noticed your MB in Rig2 has the same 8 pin connector. Is that the connector where you only connect 4 pins? My PS is a brand new 1000 watt PS. You would think it would have the proper connections.

I don't even under stand the text in the Gigabyte manual it's confusing:

"The power connectors are compatible with power supplies with 2x2 12V and 2x10 power connectors. When using a power supply providing a 2x4 12V and a 2x12 power connector, remove the protective covers from the 12V power connector and the main power connector on the motherboard. Do not insert the power supply cables into pins under the protective covers when using a power supply providing a 2x2 12V and a 2x10 power connector."

kurtd

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I just figured it out. I thought my PS was made wrong because the 4+4 power connectors are keyed differently on my MB and different on other PS. On one side of the 4+4 connector, it has 4 round pins. Apparently the round peg fits in the square hole because it still connects.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Good the round peg in the square hole is actually a test. This is usually followed with pictures in which you tell us what you see.
The holes and squares should match up, bottom line is the back row near the lock is all negative black wires and the front are all +12v yellow wires.