Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Please help choosing motherboard for i7-920

Last response: in Motherboards
December 23, 2009 7:14:29 AM

Hi, I am ordering my computer parts on the 28th of December, so I need help as soon as possible!

Notes to consider: I am not going to overclock. I do not want to go into BIOS to mess around with settings (this is my first build and I am not comfortable with doing that). I just want the RAM to work at the speed it should without me having to adjust anything! I am only using one graphics card (ATI 5770). I am using this PC as a graphic and multimedia design student (Adobe products, and possibly some 3d animation too). I do not game, and if I do it will be rare.

My question is:

1) What is the best 3x2gb DDR3 1600 RAM supporting motherboard (LGA 1366) I can get for around 200-250 USD?

Obviously, if your choice happens to be under 200 that is okay, but I don't want to go over 240 ideally
:) 

Please help me choose according to the notes I gave. :) 

Remember, I am a newb. I don't want to adjust settings etc. I just want to put my PC together and install windows 7 from there. I had chosen the ASRock X58 Extreme, but I found out it only allows the RAM to run at 1066 unless I change settings in BIOS..That is why I am looking for help as soon as possible!

Here are the ones I see worth comparing:

Foxconn Bloodrage
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR
Intel BOXDX58SO

Thank you so much!! :)  I truly appreciate the help!

More options here!!

Best solution

a c 235 V Motherboard
December 23, 2009 1:49:59 PM

It doesn't matter which one you buy. By default, DDR3 memory should be detected at 1066 MHz, not 1600 Mhz. You'll need to go into the BIOS to set them correctly, but that's rather easy. You'll also have to configure other settings like boot order, etc. You shouldn't consider assembling your own PC if you don't want to adjust settings in the BIOS.
!