Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
5GHz is feasible if you get really really lucky in the CPU lottery. Less than 1% of Sandy Bridge CPUs get there though. 5.5GHz would be nearly impossible on any normal cooling.

By the way, you don't need those uber-expensive boards to get 5GHz. Unless you're planning on doing Tri-SLI/Tri-CF, just get a normal board like an ASUS P8P67 Pro or a Gigabyte P67A-UD7 or something.
5GHz is feasible if you get really really lucky in the CPU lottery. Less than 1% of Sandy Bridge CPUs get there though. 5.5GHz would be nearly impossible on any normal cooling.

By the way, you don't need those uber-expensive boards to get 5GHz. Unless you're planning on doing Tri-SLI/Tri-CF, just get a normal board like an ASUS P8P67 Pro or a Gigabyte P67A-UD7 or something.

Solution

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Thanks Leaps-from-Shadows
But according to most reviews it easily achieves 5ghz mark, what does this mean?
Impressive enough? The MSI Big Bang Marshal certainly overclocks like an absolute lunatic pushing our 2500K to a whopping 5GHz on air, and at only 1.46v on the vCore. This matches the best clock we have ever got on this chip but with MUCH lower volts than the 1.6v chip killing levels the stock Intel board required. I have a feeling you may now be starting to understand what a quality board can deliver.
http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/msi_big_bang_marshal_p67_review/4

Don't come to a false assumption because of the link you posted, getting to 5.0ghz and showing a CPU-Z application open, does not mean it could even be Validated, much less be able to run Prime95 for any time at all, so if you're under the assumption what you read in overclock3d.nets review is a 24/7 possibility of running 5.0ghz on air cooling, you may and possibly will be seriously disappointed.

5.5ghz on air cooling, forget it!

Leaps-from-Shadows has given you some good advice, and I'll add the ASRock P67 Extreme4 to the motherboard list, as I've had great results with it.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished

Wow..I am just a noob at OC and you just instantly attacked me??
I wished only for politeness.

Status
Not open for further replies.