Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is there an easy way to go from raid 0 to 1

Last response: in Storage
March 18, 2011 5:50:49 PM

Hi there,

thanks to all the forum support I was able to build my 1st pc! Now I need to make some modifications. Originally I set up my gigabyte mobo with 1 - 1TB Hdd. Now I want to make it more secure by adding a second 1TB drive in a raid 1 config. (this is a graphic work not a gaming pc) What is the easiest (step wise) way to do it? Should I mirror my HDD to an external drive before reconfig. I really don't want to have to reinstall all my programs and win 7 os.
I am a total novice so even searching this forum is hard for me to know if my question is the same as one already posted. Also my sata's are a bit messed up - I can't get the usb ports on the front of my box to work. If someone who knows my board and box could advise as to what should plug where and what my raid setting should be this would really help!

here are the specs
mobo gigabyte ga x58a-ud3r
2x samsung 1tb hd
CASE Cooler Master |RC-922M-KKN1-GP BK RT

thanks to all

More about : easy raid

March 18, 2011 6:04:08 PM

No easy way.

Step1. image the data off to another drive
Step2. dump your raid-0
Step3. Create your raid-1
Step4. image your data back

Since it was a raid-0 to begin with, Windows saw it as a 2TB partition. When cloning, it may cause some problems because you can't image a 2TB partition to a 1TB partition. Use the Windows 7 disk management utility to try and shrink your partition down as much as you can, the smaller the better. If you can shrink it down so that i can fit on a 1TB partition, it may work.

What imaging software are you going to use?
The Windows 7 backup and restore utility may work depending on which version of Windows 7 you have. If you have Professional or Ultimate or Enterprise, it has the ability to create a disk image onto a network drive.
If you're using something like Acronis, then Raid drivers need to be on the Acronis boot disk for it to work.

I would try the Windows 7 imaging tool. I've created images of my raid sets before, but never actually restored an image, but it should work.
m
l
March 18, 2011 6:28:08 PM

ok - thanks - I have then pro-version so I think I can use the win 7 back-up. Also - I don't have much data stored yet - if I want to image my disk to an external hdd - does it need to be 2 TB and completely blank? or can I use a smaller one that has some stuff on it?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

March 18, 2011 6:35:40 PM

sarah123 said:
ok - thanks - I have then pro-version so I think I can use the win 7 back-up. Also - I don't have much data stored yet - if I want to image my disk to an external hdd - does it need to be 2 TB and completely blank? or can I use a smaller one that has some stuff on it?

Your external HDD doesn't need to be 2TB, but it does need to fit what you've taken up on your current drive right now. So, If your total usage of the drive is about 80GB, your image might be around 60GB. Windows 7 doesn't compress the images down that much.

The important thing is how big your partition is right now. When you go to a raid-1, your partition size will be 1TB, so you can only restore a 1TB partition back onto it.

Acronis and other tools like Ghost have the ability to put a larger partition back onto a smaller partition, but Windows 7 does not.

You should also back your important data before performing this procedure because you'll never know if the image will be bad even if it says it was good after you completed. Also, make your have your Windows 7 DVD or Windows 7 Repair disc handy so you restore the image.
March 19, 2011 3:25:33 PM

Best answer selected by sarah123.
m
l
!