Sign in with
Your question

Does 915G motherboard support dual core? Mine is a branded motherboard from acer

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2009 2:18:50 AM

Hey looking to upgrade my comp processor however I'm unsure if it can support dual core could any of y'all tell me if it could. I'm using a 945G motherboard and its branded by acer. Let me know as soon as possible.
a c 96 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 30, 2009 2:38:17 AM

ishak11 said:
Hey looking to upgrade my comp processor however I'm unsure if it can support dual core could any of y'all tell me if it could. I'm using a 945G motherboard and its branded by acer. Let me know as soon as possible.

You asked two different questions between your post and your title. Your title asked if the 915G motherboard can support a dual core. The answer is no as Intel specifically prevented the 915 and 925 chipsets frm working with more than one CPU core. Manufacturers were making inexpensive dual Xeon chipsets out of the previous-generation 865 and 875 chipsets, and Intel's Pentium D dual-cores look exactly the same to the chipset as a pair of Xeons. Intel wanted to make people pay the big bucks for the Xeon chipsets, so they killed the ability to use more than one CPU/core with the 915 and 925.

The 945G is a different story. The 945 was designed specifically to re-enable use of more than one CPU/core. 945 chipsets do support dual cores if the BIOS is willing.
!