AlwaysLearningTech

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hey people,

I've just installed the Corsair H60 step-by-step using the instructions manual that came with it. After I installed it I booted up the operating system so I could check the temps of the CPU using SpeedFan. The temps were ok for a little while, then the CPU started to get really hot, like 53C while on idle.

I'm using the crappy CPU paste that came with the Corsair H60. I'm wondering if that might be the problem? Should I go and buy some Arctic cooling 5 paste?

Motherboard: Asus P5G41T-M LX
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q8300
300W PSU

Don't know what paste they use on the H60, do know that they used Shin Etzu on the H50, and it doesn't get much better;
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=12
Check your pump RPM's ( need to be connected to a motherboard power header )
Check the mount and make sure the screws are tight.

AlwaysLearningTech

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
The paste that they give you is crap, but the kit its self are ok when I put some paste on it. I prefer air cooling myself.

Thanks anyway.

At first I read your comment wrong. Sorry. lol XD

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hi,

I am having a completely opposite experience with my h60. Overclocked to 4.8ghz using the stock paste (Which is Shin Etsu 7783D) I was running my 2600k at 65c under the heaviest load on prime 95. That was with just the stock Corsair fan too.

Chris-NH

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

How did you sort it out if I may ask? I'm having a high temp issue myself.

Thank you in advance ...

Minute

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I don't have a a liquid cooling kit myself, but I did do some reading when i was deciding on aftermarket cooling.

The liquid cooling temperature's on idle are higher than with air cooling, and when stressed the change in temp isn't that huge. So on idle you might see 50~60 degrees, and on full load you'll see maybe 65~70 degrees (making these numbers up). Where as on air cooling on idle you'll see 30ish degrees, and on full load you might see the same 65~70 degrees.

So the change in temperature for the liquid cooling kit might only be 5~10 degrees, while on air you'll have a much larger range. Now that's what i understood from what people had to say about their kits, and I'm not sure if that's what your seeing.

Chris-NH

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Actually I think I'm all set. I was reading the BIOS temps and from what I've been reading they are always higher. I used the ASUS utilities and some other 3rd party software to get the real temp. Haven't seen an issue yet. Idle between 29C-35C and that's only using 1 fan on the H60 pulling from the outside. Thanks for the feedback though and good luck with your systems.

redwinesteel

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
MAKE SURE that the cpu block/thermal paste is actually touching the cpu.
At one point, I had half of the thermal paste touching the cpu, and my temps would sky rocket to 60 degrees on my core 2 duo and idle at 40.... it didn't make any sense.

I then lifted the block off the cpu and found that only half of it was actually touching the cpu.

I know this may seem bothersome, but it REALLY helps a lot having to check whether or not it's actually touching.

To fix this problem, I turned the cpu block counter clockwise and fit it on like so. It was touching the cpu 100%.

BTW the thermal paste is one of the best in the market. It performs much better than arctic silver 5.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
People the install of the H60 is as simple as is gets....and the paste is top notch...just make sure its seated fully and that you got the pump hooked into your pwr fan header...fans turn in the right direction....thats about it...It works fine...yet is highly prone to "heat soak" quickly due to its small rad. size..

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
People the install of the H60 is as simple as is gets....and the paste is top notch...just make sure its seated fully and that you got the pump hooked into your pwr fan header...fans turn in the right direction....thats about it...It works fine...yet is highly prone to "heat soak" quickly due to its small rad. size..

Yep, couldn't have said it better myself. It's as simple as installing a normal heatsink...not rocket science.

vollman1

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I am still curious as to why the temps were getting so high initially.

What was the problem? If it was the install (probably), what part was not correctly done?