Trouble with Fresh XP Install (PXE-E61)

Trevorc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009
After setting boot options to CD and only CD (everything else disabled), setup still doesn't boot immediately. It goes through "Verifying DMI Pool Data..." and then gives the copyright info for the motherboard's boot agent. After about 15 seconds, I get PXE-E61 (media test failure) and PXE-M0F (exiting nvidia boot agent). Then, the system boots from the CD and goes through XP setup. Setup then goes extremely quickly: quick format jumps from 20% to 100% and file copying take less than 15 seconds. After, I can't boot from the hard drive. Depending on what boot priority I set, the system either does exactly what I have just described and loops back, or sits after giving me the PXE-E61 and PXE-M0F errors. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

Trevorc

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2009

Gigabyte GC-CLISW
Kingston Hyperx 1GB
Western Digital WD5000KS

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
PXE-M0F is usually an attempt to boot to network (PXE), when there is no response from the PXE server. (all PXE errors are related to network boots). In your case I wouldn't expect you would want the boot to network.

I think one of two things are wrong, either your boot priority is messed up or your media is (of course there are other explanations). Start by fixing the boot priority:
1. I would disable the network boot completely. Usually not located in the priority order, if you can't find it set it to the last on the priority list.
2. Set the CD/DVD as first priority.
3. Set the Hard Drive as second priority.

When you boot you should have to hit a key to boot to CD, do so and do the prompts as usual. When it rebbots don't do anything. Assuming you disabled the network boot, it should either boot to the HDD or tell you no boot media was found (if you still have not disabled the network boot you may get a PXE error).

If you drop to no boot media OR get a PXE error then there are two possibilities, your HDD is bad or the boot media is bad. The easiest test is to use diffrent media, any OS will do even d/l Linux if you don't have another XP(preferred option) or older Windows. The idea is to make sure it is the media and not the HDD. If the media is bad you will need to get another copy that will work with your key, either from a friend or MS may offer/sell a replacement disk.