Updating HD firmware

Yesterday, I built a new computer for the first time. It seems to be working great, but the hard drive needs a firmware update. Unfortunately, I am somewhat clueless as to how this is done.

This is the hard drive I am using:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152245

And this is the page with the firmware update.
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386

I don't have a floppy drive, so I've tired burning the .exe file to a CD and copying it to a flash drive. Neither one works when I try to boot from them--it just goes straight to Windows like normal. What do I need to do?
8 answers Last reply
More about updating firmware
  1. It looks like someone else has already created a thread asking the same question.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267407-32-samsung-hd204ui-firmware-udpate-help#t1845598

My apologies for cluttering the forum with a duplicate. Like atlantiswasreal, however, I still don't understand how to update the firmware. Can anyone provide some dumbed-down instructions?
  2. From the instructions on the download page it looks like what you get is just a DOS executable program. You'll need to get a copy of DOS that you can boot from, then use it to run the program.
  3. sminlal said:
    From the instructions on the download page it looks like what you get is just a DOS executable program. You'll need to get a copy of DOS that you can boot from, then use it to run the program.

So, if I get a bootable CD of say, FreeDOS, would that work? Would DOS and the exe file need to be on the same disc?
  4. Is it not working correctly? Why do you need to update the firm ware. I have one of those drives and it works fine for me with out doing anything to it.
  5. why not forget samsung 3rd world product that will fail in no time.
    go and get a seagate.
  6. christop said:
    Is it not working correctly? Why do you need to update the firm ware. I have one of those drives and it works fine for me with out doing anything to it.

It's working fine for me, as well. So far. However, I keep reading everywhere that I need to update the firmware to prevent data corruption. Several of the reviews on the newegg product page I linked to mention it.
  7. simonyee04 said:
    why not forget samsung 3rd world product that will fail in no time.
    go and get a seagate.

Thanks for the advice, I'll just hop in my time machine and alter the course of history so that I buy your favorite brand of hard drive. Won't take but a jiff.
  8. Timzor said:
    So, if I get a bootable CD of say, FreeDOS, would that work? Would DOS and the exe file need to be on the same disc?
    Should work. You'll need a copy of the EXE file on whatever media FreeDOS is capable of reading. For example, you could put it on a floppy drive (if your system has one). If you don't have any other suitable media than putting a copy of the FreeDOS CD itself should certainly work.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Firmware Storage Product