Sign in with
Your question

Problems booting with dual channel RAM

Last response: in Memory
December 23, 2009 4:30:32 PM

I very recently bought an Athlon II X4 620 to replace my Athlon 64 X2 4000+ on my computer, but have been running into problems booting whenever I have any dual channel set up, with it either giving me constant long beeps (memory problems?) or rebooting/freezing when entering Windows (some times during the BIOS screen).

The only way my computer will boot and run properly is if I have my sticks in a single channel set up. For example, my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H) has four DIMM slots:

[DDR2_1, DDR2_2], [DDR2_3, DDR2_4]

Normally, I would've had two pairs of RAM (the slots are coloured, so they're supposed to be paired in 1 and 2, and 3 and 4, respectively), but now I'm encountering problems unless I stick to either 1, 3, or 1 and 3.

I've tried switching back my original processor with no luck (despite it having worked without a hitch beforehand), and have ran each stick individually through memtest (along with testing them in pairs).

I'm suspecting it might actually be a motherboard problem, and called Gigabyte's tech support line, and was told I should find four sticks of the same RAM and try them, but I wouldn't be able to find any and am rather unwilling to go out and buy another pair (considering how it's DDR2, and I already have four sticks).

The two pairs I have are:
2x2gb OCZ Blade Series DDR2 PC-6400
2x1gb A-Data DDR2 800

In short, everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade my processor, and now nothing really does, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions or insights as to why this might be. Thanks for the help.
a c 80 } Memory
December 23, 2009 6:50:31 PM

Try to manually set the timings to 5-5-5-18 and increase the voltage to 1.9V. If that doesn't work, then tell us exactly what modules you have (part numbers).
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
December 23, 2009 7:24:29 PM

Try with only the OCZ and after with only the A-Data.

Also, canl help us if you post the links of the RAM that you have
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2009 7:42:38 PM

OCZ: http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_p...
A-Data: http://www.adata-group.com/EN/product_show.php?ProductN...

I can't get the computer to boot (power turns on, screen stays black, and I occasionally get long repeating post beeps) if I have a pair in the 1 and 2 positions. The first and third slots are fine (at least, they look like they are, they let me boot), but if I run memtest with a single stick in the 2nd slot, it'll come up with a ton of errors, and it won't boot at all in the 4th.

The only way I can currently get my computer to work properly is to have sticks in the 1st and 3rd positions.
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
December 23, 2009 7:49:10 PM

What RAM you install in the 1st and 3rd positions for the system boot?

Maybe i can see a problem, the OCZ are 2.1V and the A-Data are 1.8V. Try to set boot at 2.0V.
m
l
December 23, 2009 8:19:14 PM

Right now I have the OCZ pair in the 1st and 3rd position, since I figure it's easier to manage since they run at the same frequencies.

I tried putting all four sticks back in with the voltage at 2.0v, but once again, I got stuck with a blank screen and, after restarting once, the constant long beeps. I tried again with 1.8v (I had all four sticks running at 1.8v before I tried to upgrade without a hitch), but still the same result.
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
December 23, 2009 8:23:29 PM

If you try with the A-Data memory the system boot? try in 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th, 1st and 3rd, 2nd and 4th.
m
l
December 23, 2009 8:28:44 PM

I've tried with both sets, in each of the combinations, the results are largely the same. 1st and 2nd would occasionally boot, but (when it worked) would restart whenever it hit Windows, or get stuck on the POST screen. 2nd and 4th, and 3rd and 4th never seems to work, it'll give me the blank screen and is pretty consistent the constant beeping.
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
December 23, 2009 9:14:19 PM

Maybe your A-Data RAM is failing, try the same RAM in another rig.
m
l
December 23, 2009 9:41:08 PM

But the A-Data set works fine in 1/3 just like the OCZ ones do, the problems the different pairs are having are essentially the same. Also, testing individually in memtest suggests all the sticks are fine.

I'm probably going to look into using the warranty on the CPU (in case its a memory controller at fault) and have the motherboard sent in to Gigabyte to be checked, thanks for the help.
m
l
December 23, 2009 11:16:00 PM

Manually set the timings, and test using mentest in each plot.
m
l
a c 163 } Memory
December 24, 2009 12:56:42 AM

Ohh.., so, send to Gigabyte and install all the RAM in another system.
m
l
!