Sim Myths Thread

I found this great thread at Various Simmers - I think all sim players
should be forced to read it!

http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?p=8048

Best wishes
Maxon
48 answers Last reply
More about myths thread

    >I found this great thread at Various Simmers - I think all sim players
    > should be forced to read it!
    >
    > http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?p=8048
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    "MYTH: Eating specific foods before, during, or after pregnancy increases or
    decreases the odds of having twins in this or subsequent pregnancies. "

    Oh bliss. Can you remember our thread on this subject? Eat cookies and wear
    a red t-shirt and a hat with a pom-pom and only woo-hoo on even days?
    BOUND to work, that is.

    As for the rest, I think I prefer to blunder about hoping things will happen
    and being astounded when they do/don't/crash my computer. <shrug>

    Granny.

    Granny Grumpling wrote:
    > >I found this great thread at Various Simmers - I think all sim players
    > > should be forced to read it!
    > >
    > > http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?p=8048

    > As for the rest, I think I prefer to blunder about hoping things will happen
    > and being astounded when they do/don't/crash my computer. <shrug>

    I'm wondering if I started the "how to achieve an alien abduction" myth
    myself on this very forum!

    Granny Grumpling wrote:
    > "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >

    > >> As for the rest, I think I prefer to blunder about hoping things will
    > >> happen
    > >> and being astounded when they do/don't/crash my computer. <shrug>
    > >
    > > I'm wondering if I started the "how to achieve an alien abduction" myth
    > > myself on this very forum!
    > >
    > Oh, it was fun, wasn't it? 8))))
    >
    > Building mountains and sticking telescopes on top. I still haven;t had one
    > abduction, and I am glad of it.

    It was such an absurd coincidence too. I made the mountain on the lot
    because I had learned from a website how to make high dives for pools
    using the move_objects cheat. The site where I discovered this had a
    tutorial for making split level houses using the move_objects cheat and
    linked to the download of a house the writer had made using the cheat.
    I downloaded the house and it had bundled with it... the hacked
    abduction telescope, which overwrote the original. The flat
    mountaintop had too large a summit for just the diving boards, so I
    added two of the telescopes up there as well. My knowledge sims were
    the only ones who wanted to use telescopes so far out of the way and
    the rest is history.

    Maxon wrote:
    > I found this great thread at Various Simmers - I think all sim players
    > should be forced to read it!
    >
    > http://www.variousimmers.net/vsimforum/showthread.php?p=8048

    Where it says:

    MYTH: Something special happens when you reunite Bella from Strangetown
    with the Goth family, either by moving the Goths to Strangetown or Bella
    to Pleasantview.

    STATUS: FALSE, unless you consider corrupting your neighborhood files
    something special. Bella will not regain memories. The Goth children
    will not recognize Bella. What WILL happen is that your neighborhood
    files will be corrupted by duplicate copies of the Goth relatives and/or
    anyone Bella happened to meet prior to moving. Don't do this. Absolutely
    nothing cool happens with Bella.

    Well, I spent time moving Bella in from Strangetown, just because I
    wanted her to be in the same neighborhood; I didn't care about any
    family reaction. But what do they mean by "corrupted" files? Will this
    hose the game in any way? I moved another whole family as well as
    Bella. I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that this one
    family cannot get the DMA live-in maid staff. If they try to hire them,
    the next time I go into that house they are gone. (They had said staff
    in Strangetown and everything functioned smoothly.)

    Also, where it says:

    MYTH: Feeding a toddler smart milk results in him learning faster when
    he becomes a child than a toddler who is not fed smart milk.

    STATUS: PARTIALLY TRUE. A toddler who receives smart milk can, in some
    circumstances, have his skill-boost-rate attribute "stuck" similar to
    the fashion of a stuck emitter, or perhaps the
    snooty-headmaster-departure. A freshly nuked toddler may also carry over
    his effect briefly into childhood. However, this represents a bug and
    does not occur consistently. Some children may stick and become "smart"
    for their entire childhood, others may not. No pattern has yet been
    discerned.

    Then what is the point of Smartmilk? I thought learning faster was the
    reason for it.

    --
    --Cuth

    > Maxon wrote:
    >
    > MYTH: Feeding a toddler smart milk results in him learning faster when
    > he becomes a child than a toddler who is not fed smart milk.
    >
    > STATUS: PARTIALLY TRUE. A toddler who receives smart milk can, in some
    > circumstances, have his skill-boost-rate attribute "stuck" similar to
    > the fashion of a stuck emitter, or perhaps the
    > snooty-headmaster-departure. A freshly nuked toddler may also carry over
    > his effect briefly into childhood. However, this represents a bug and
    > does not occur consistently. Some children may stick and become "smart"
    > for their entire childhood, others may not. No pattern has yet been
    > discerned.
    >
    > Then what is the point of Smartmilk? I thought learning faster was the

    Yes, he's saying that is so for the TODDLER not when it becomes a child.

    Maxon wrote:
    > "Cuthbert Gurdlestone" <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Maxon wrote:
    >>
    >>MYTH: Feeding a toddler smart milk results in him learning faster when
    >>he becomes a child than a toddler who is not fed smart milk.
    >>
    >>STATUS: PARTIALLY TRUE. A toddler who receives smart milk can, in some
    >>circumstances, have his skill-boost-rate attribute "stuck" similar to
    >>the fashion of a stuck emitter, or perhaps the
    >>snooty-headmaster-departure. A freshly nuked toddler may also carry over
    >>his effect briefly into childhood. However, this represents a bug and
    >>does not occur consistently. Some children may stick and become "smart"
    >>for their entire childhood, others may not. No pattern has yet been
    >>discerned.
    >>
    >>Then what is the point of Smartmilk? I thought learning faster was the
    >

    > Yes, he's saying that is so for the TODDLER not when it becomes a child.

    He's saying *what* is so for the toddler?

    --
    --Cuth

    That the toddler learns more quickly when it drinks smart milk - just that
    the effect is not carried over when it grows into a child. The thing about
    Pescado is he's a major hacker and looks at the actual game code. I'm
    inclined to believe him when he says stuff about game parameters. He makes
    the really good point in this thread we're all looking at that people want
    to project behaviour onto the sims that simply isn't there in the game code.
    I actually think that's a very interesting observation - but then I like
    post-modernist ideas and stuff like that.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > He's saying *what* is so for the toddler?
    >
    > --
    > --Cuth

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 11:50:35 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I found this great thread at Various Simmers - I think all sim players
    >should be forced to read it!

    Let's see how sim-supersticious I am :-)

    Well, I'm somewhat guilty of #3, since I've only had it happen to
    families who had been rejected once or more before.

    As for the second to last one, I actually *did* think signs mattered.
    They certainly did in Sims 1. I don't remember if it's the same way in
    Sims 2 cause I always use random sign and personality... but if sign
    is corrolated to personality in Sims 2 as well, then this myth is at
    least partially true. Personalities dictate how sims act toward
    eachother.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 11:50:35 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I found this great thread at Various Simmers - I think all sim players
    >>should be forced to read it!
    >

    > Let's see how sim-supersticious I am :-)
    >
    > Well, I'm somewhat guilty of #3, since I've only had it happen to
    > families who had been rejected once or more before.
    >
    > As for the second to last one, I actually *did* think signs mattered.
    > They certainly did in Sims 1. I don't remember if it's the same way in
    > Sims 2 cause I always use random sign and personality... but if sign
    > is corrolated to personality in Sims 2 as well, then this myth is at
    > least partially true. Personalities dictate how sims act toward
    > eachother.

    Actually I was just thinking, I'd like to know the source for these
    "busted" myths. How do we know the mythbuster is true? :-)

    --
    --Cuth

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 18:09:18 GMT, Cuthbert Gurdlestone
    <chgurdlestone1154@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Then what is the point of Smartmilk? I thought learning faster was the
    >reason for it.

    I've never actually used the stuff... I thought it worked on
    skill-building too? Or does it only work on walk, talk and potty
    train? Or was that the thinking cap?

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

    > MYTH: Feeding a toddler smart milk results in him learning faster
    > when
    > he becomes a child than a toddler who is not fed smart milk.
    >
    > STATUS: PARTIALLY TRUE. A toddler who receives smart milk can, in
    > some
    > circumstances, have his skill-boost-rate attribute "stuck" similar
    > the fashion of a stuck emitter, or perhaps the
    > snooty-headmaster-departure. A freshly nuked toddler may also carry
    > over his effect briefly into childhood. However, this represents a
    > bug and does not occur consistently. Some children may stick and
    > become "smart" for their entire childhood, others may not. No
    > pattern
    > has yet been discerned.
    >
    > Then what is the point of Smartmilk? I thought learning faster was
    > the reason for it.

    When you give a toddler Smartmilk (green glowing), it will start to
    glow green and while doing that, it will learn faster. The effect
    doesn't stick when the toddler grows into a child.

    I once had a baby grow into a teenager in a matter of seconds, with
    various cheats, and the fast learning ability stuck. It was great. She
    was full on body points within two days. Never happened again :-(

    T.

    Cuthbert Gurdlestone wrote:

    > Actually I was just thinking, I'd like to know the source for these
    > "busted" myths. How do we know the mythbuster is true? :-)

    She looked into the code.

    T.

    "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> As for the rest, I think I prefer to blunder about hoping things will
    >> happen
    >> and being astounded when they do/don't/crash my computer. <shrug>
    >
    > I'm wondering if I started the "how to achieve an alien abduction" myth
    > myself on this very forum!

    Oh, it was fun, wasn't it? 8))))

    Building mountains and sticking telescopes on top. I still haven;t had one
    abduction, and I am glad of it.
    Even Pascal has a human baby in my game. But i didn;t half try when I first
    started.

    Granny.

    > Granny Grumpling wrote:
    >> "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> > I'm wondering if I started the "how to achieve an alien abduction" myth
    >> > myself on this very forum!
    >> >
    >> Oh, it was fun, wasn't it? 8))))
    >>
    >> Building mountains and sticking telescopes on top. I still haven;t had
    >> one
    >> abduction, and I am glad of it.

    ................................... The flat
    > mountaintop had too large a summit for just the diving boards, so I
    > added two of the telescopes up there as well. My knowledge sims were
    > the only ones who wanted to use telescopes so far out of the way and
    > the rest is history.

    At One time I was seriously thinking of making my know. Sims do a five-mile
    hike to reach the telescope. I got as far as having to climb up a medium
    hill (stairs) down the other side, up some more, round half the plot on a
    walkway, down, up again, up, up, up... I wondered if I could make it so
    long it would be daybreak before they reached the telesc. But i got bored.

    Also it was my old graphics board and all the stairs and railings were
    having a bad effect. Goodness only knows what effect it had on the Sim. I
    even installed a toilet next to the telescope. Ahhhh. Early days.
    Early days before we found out about the user cheats.

    Granny.

    > MYTH: Feeding a toddler smart milk results in him learning faster when
    > he becomes a child than a toddler who is not fed smart milk.
    >
    > STATUS: PARTIALLY TRUE. A toddler who receives smart milk can, in some
    > circumstances, have his skill-boost-rate attribute "stuck" similar to
    > the fashion of a stuck emitter, or perhaps the
    > snooty-headmaster-departure. A freshly nuked toddler may also carry
    > over his effect briefly into childhood. However, this represents a
    > bug and does not occur consistently. Some children may stick and
    > become "smart" for their entire childhood, others may not. No pattern
    > has yet been discerned.
    >
    > Then what is the point of Smartmilk? I thought learning faster was
    > the reason for it.

    Supposedly, it makes the toddler learn to walk, talk and piddle faster. I
    have to say, though, that I've had many toddlers in many homes. In some I
    used the smartmilk and thinking cap and in others I didn't. I honestly
    didn't see any difference in the time it took for the toddler to learn the
    skill. If there was one, IMO, it's very small. If I've got a kitchen with
    lots of counterspace, I use the smart milk. Also, you can put the smartmilk
    in the nursery itself. Put a wastebasket in there, too, and the toddler
    never has to leave the bedroom. Put their toys on the floor and make sure
    one of the parents spends some playtime and/or reads to them at least once a
    day. Otherwise, the only time the sim has to go in there is to put the kid
    to bed or let them out again, once those skills are accomplished. This is
    really handy in a two story house when you are raising twins. Seems like
    the sim will tote one of them downstairs and leave the other one upstairs
    every time, otherwise.

    Jeanie

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:27:59 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    >> Actually I was just thinking, I'd like to know the source for these
    >> "busted" myths. How do we know the mythbuster is true? :-)
    >
    >She looked into the code.

    Well, she's wrong, at least in part.

    Signs determine personality which includes outgoing/shy,
    Serious/Playful and Groucy/Nice, which determine what interactions are
    available to your sim and in part how they are likely to respond to
    them.

    Signs are supposed to be a big deal in Nightlife, and you can check
    your sims for compatability. Dunno what criteria it will use yet
    though obviously. Could be interests as well, as they determine if
    your sims are likely to get on a good conversation.

    Well - kind of. You don't have to use the signs to get your personality,
    you can allocate the points yourself and the sign is merely incidental to
    that - i.e. the sign follows the attributes not the other way around. What
    Pescado is saying is that there's nothing in the coding about compatibility
    based on the signs themselves - only interests and personality. I was
    really glad about this actually, I detest astrology and I really hope it
    doesn't become compulsory with Nightlife. I think it's going to be bad
    enough with the dating mini-game.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:2rn7a1pnv10ms44a9o212ja36lndntstpu@4ax.com...
    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:27:59 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    > Well, she's wrong, at least in part.
    >
    > Signs determine personality which includes outgoing/shy,
    > Serious/Playful and Groucy/Nice, which determine what interactions are
    > available to your sim and in part how they are likely to respond to
    > them.
    >
    > Signs are supposed to be a big deal in Nightlife, and you can check
    > your sims for compatability. Dunno what criteria it will use yet
    > though obviously. Could be interests as well, as they determine if
    > your sims are likely to get on a good conversation.

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 09:47:26 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Pescado is saying is that there's nothing in the coding about compatibility
    >based on the signs themselves - only interests and personality. I was
    >really glad about this actually, I detest astrology and I really hope it
    >doesn't become compulsory with Nightlife. I think it's going to be bad
    >enough with the dating mini-game.

    Dating mini-game? You can "go out on the town" if you wish, to have
    fun, or try to meet somebody. I haven't read anything about set rules
    etc. for dating. It's there for you to do what you wish with. I'll be
    sending out all my sims, married, single, established, you name it...

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:27:59 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:
    >
    >>> Actually I was just thinking, I'd like to know the source for these
    >>> "busted" myths. How do we know the mythbuster is true? :-)
    >>
    >> She looked into the code.
    >
    > Well, she's wrong, at least in part.
    >
    > Signs determine personality which includes outgoing/shy,
    > Serious/Playful and Groucy/Nice, which determine what interactions are
    > available to your sim and in part how they are likely to respond to
    > them.

    Yes, I've noticed that in CAS, when I'm tweaking the personality by moving
    the points around, the astrological sign changes, too.

    > Signs are supposed to be a big deal in Nightlife, and you can check
    > your sims for compatability. Dunno what criteria it will use yet
    > though obviously. Could be interests as well, as they determine if
    > your sims are likely to get on a good conversation.

    Here's what the primo guide for the original game says about astrological
    signs and attraction.

    ARIES attracted to Gemini/Taurus, repelled by Cancer/Libra.
    TAURUS attracted to Aries/Libra, repelled by Virgo/Cancer
    GEMINI attracted to Pisces/Virgo, repelled by Capricorn/Aries
    CANCER attracted to Taurus/Scorpio, repelled by Gemini/Aries
    LEO attracted to Sagittarius/Cancer, repelled by Capricorn/Gemini
    VIRGO attracted to Aquarius/Sagittarius, repelled by Leo/Taurus
    LIBRA attracted to Virgo/Cancer, repelled by Pisces/Scorpio
    SCORPIO attracted to Pisces/Leo, repelled by Libra/Aquarius
    SAGITTARIUS attracted to Pisces/Capricorn, repelled by Libra/Scorpio
    CAPRICORN attracted to Aquarius/Taurus, repelled by Leo/Gemini
    AQUARIUS attracted to Capricorn/Sagittarius, repelled by Scorpio/Virgo
    PISCES attracted to Scorpio/Gemini, repelled by Leo/Aries

    I suppose that will continue in Nightlife.

    Jeanie

    Maxon wrote:
    > Well - kind of. You don't have to use the signs to get your
    > personality, you can allocate the points yourself and the sign is
    > merely incidental to that - i.e. the sign follows the attributes not
    > the other way around. What Pescado is saying is that there's nothing
    > in the coding about compatibility based on the signs themselves -
    > only interests and personality. I was really glad about this
    > actually, I detest astrology and I really hope it doesn't become
    > compulsory with Nightlife. I think it's going to be bad enough with
    > the dating mini-game.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    But the signs change as you adjust the personality. It's just as easy to
    use the signs as it is the personality. It's odd that the code wouldn't
    reflect that when the primo guide devotes a couple of pages to the
    importance of astrological signs.

    Jeanie

    Maxon wrote:

    > The thing about Pescado is he's a major hacker and looks at the
    > actual
    > game code. I'm inclined to believe him when he says stuff about
    > game
    > parameters. He makes the really good point in this thread we're all
    > looking at that people want to project behaviour onto the sims that
    > simply isn't there in the game code. I actually think that's a very
    > interesting observation - but then I like post-modernist ideas and
    > stuff like that.

    I think that's part of what makes the game so popular. We project all
    our human being-social animal-patterns on them, giving them all kinds
    of personalities and motivations, far beyond the programming. A
    playground for our evolutionary mindset. Fun fun fun!

    T.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 22:27:59 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl>
    > wrote:
    >>> Actually I was just thinking, I'd like to know the source for
    >>> these
    >>> "busted" myths. How do we know the mythbuster is true? :-)
    >> She looked into the code.

    Turned out to be a he. Not that it matters.

    > Well, she's wrong, at least in part.
    >
    > Signs determine personality which includes outgoing/shy,
    > Serious/Playful and Groucy/Nice, which determine what interactions
    > are
    > available to your sim and in part how they are likely to respond to
    > them.

    Yes, so signs in themselves mean nothing. I wish it wasn't mentioned
    at all. I think it's so stupid.

    T.

    Jeanie wrote:

    > I suppose that will continue in Nightlife.

    I suppose I'll continue to ignore it.

    T.

    Jeanie wrote:

    > But the signs change as you adjust the personality. It's just as
    > easy to use the signs as it is the personality. It's odd that the
    > code wouldn't reflect that when the primo guide devotes a couple of
    > pages to the importance of astrological signs.

    Well, it's not a one-to-one correspondence. A sign only jumps to
    another when you tweak the character a few points, not only one point.
    There isn't a single sign for every single combination of character
    points.

    T.

    > Well, looking at it from this perspective, perhaps the trouble that one
    > poster was having with getting a good rating on parties has something to
    do
    > with the astrological signs of the host and the guests? That complicates
    > matters considerably, doesn't it?

    Ummm - well the point of this thread is that that's a myth (at present
    anyway).

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    Isn't that what I said? I agree though that it does seem a bit odd to
    include all the information about signs and then not put it into the coding.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    > But the signs change as you adjust the personality. It's just as easy to
    > use the signs as it is the personality. It's odd that the code wouldn't
    > reflect that when the primo guide devotes a couple of pages to the
    > importance of astrological signs.
    >
    > Jeanie

    >> I think that's part of what makes the game so popular. We project all
    >> our human being-social animal-patterns on them, giving them all kinds
    >> of personalities and motivations, far beyond the programming. A
    >> playground for our evolutionary mindset. Fun fun fun!
    >>
    >> T.

    You know, it's funny because I don't do that at all and it annoys me when
    someone uploads a sim or a house and gives you this whole social background,
    etc. HOWEVER, I am guilty too of personalizing sims because all my sims
    live in mansions, wear glamorous clothes and most of them don't have jobs
    sooooo, I definitely agree with your basic theory. It's great escapism.
    Like I don't build houses but I bet those that do are artistic and would
    like to be architects!

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 11:03:22 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Ha - you just might have to. Still it might all be optional and
    >open-ended - let's hope so.

    I find it difficult to believe that we wouldn't be able to take
    married or established couples on dates :-) So I wouldnt worry too
    much. This dating mini-game probably only kicks in with couples just
    starting out, no comitment, don't live together etc.

    >I don't like my fun structured for me - well, we'll see I suppose.

    Me neither. That's why I fell in love with The Sims to begin with.
    Maxis is trying too hard, both to hold the old fanbase, and to capture
    others out there, who feel like they need more "goal oriented" play.

    Luckily we have cheats and hacks... and plenty of them, which nullify
    the gameplay effect of pursuing wants and stuff for aspiration etc.
    and letting us do what we want :-)

    I don't even use aging off anymore, I just the tombstone of L&D to
    reset age durations, and have people age when *I* want them to, and
    deem it appropriate ;-)

    > I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like is to
    > be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage yourself. I
    > find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the default settings
    > and
    > basically I'd like them to have longer lifetimes.

    I hate when people say this and don't have the link but "somewhere" I
    downloaded a buyable life elixer bottle so whenever your sim gets close to
    aging to the next level you can buy it and have them drink it 5 times and
    then they get 25 more days. I'm sorry I don't have the link.

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:19:26 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >Remember the tombstone shuffle game from Makin' Magic? I never did figure
    >that one out.

    I did. But I don't remember how. Abstract thinking is a strength of
    mine. It also makes me a little... eccentric :-)

    >Personally, I try to avoid having parties in my game. It gets confusing,

    I only throw one once in a while, for fun. I don't care about
    aspirations, birthdays, weddings, none of that stuff. It would be dull
    if you did it for all your sims.. so I just do it with the ones I like
    the most.

    >trying to remember who is friends with whom, so if you have the wrong parent
    >do the inviting, often even the grandparents of the birthday child will

    LOL been there...

    > I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like
    > is to be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage
    > yourself. I find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the
    > default settings and basically I'd like them to have longer
    > lifetimes. I'm pretty sure I read about a hacked object that would
    > do that but, naturally, didn't save the link. I'm pretty sure,
    > anyway, it evoked the Tombstone of L&D functions which, to be honest,
    > I'm not too keen to use. I'm not mad about using cheats anyway and
    > the TofL&D is notorious for causing problems and corruption.
    >
    > Best wishes
    > Maxon

    That's one of the functions of that multi-painting. You can add or subtract
    1, 3, or 10 days at any age you want to. Though why someone would want a
    baby to stay a baby for 10 days is beyond me. I've been using that hack
    ever since the day I installed the game and have never had a single problem
    with it.

    Jeanie

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:03:24 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like is to
    >be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage yourself. I
    >find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the default settings and
    >basically I'd like them to have longer lifetimes. I'm pretty sure I read
    >about a hacked object that would do that but, naturally, didn't save the

    You know... someone made a hack to speed up childhood. I see no reason
    why one could not determine the duration of all the life stages...
    maybe if we figure out how long we want the stages to be, we can make
    a common request on behalf og AGTS :-) Then again, I see no reason why
    they can't make many durations. I mean, once the hack is done, it's
    just a matter of changing a few figures.

    So, what do you suggest for age durations? I wouldn't want childhood
    extended much... but... adults should live, say... a hundred days? And
    elderdom 30-40. I also think the teen years should be longer than
    their current, what, 15? Make that 25...

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:03:24 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like
    >> is to be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage
    >> yourself. I find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the
    >> default settings and basically I'd like them to have longer
    >> lifetimes. I'm pretty sure I read about a hacked object that would
    >> do that but, naturally, didn't save the
    >
    > You know... someone made a hack to speed up childhood. I see no reason
    > why one could not determine the duration of all the life stages...
    > maybe if we figure out how long we want the stages to be, we can make
    > a common request on behalf og AGTS :-) Then again, I see no reason why
    > they can't make many durations. I mean, once the hack is done, it's
    > just a matter of changing a few figures.
    >
    > So, what do you suggest for age durations? I wouldn't want childhood
    > extended much... but... adults should live, say... a hundred days? And
    > elderdom 30-40. I also think the teen years should be longer than
    > their current, what, 15? Make that 25...

    I think the infancy stage should be over with in a day. Toddlerhood lasts
    about long enough. So does childhood. I don't care for teens, so I think
    that stage is too long already. The young adult stage is about long enough,
    if you go through University and play by the rules without hacks, it takes
    that long anyway. Adulthood is fine at the length it is, but I want them to
    add a middle-age stage, with hair only slightly gray and make it last at
    least as long as the teen years last now. Elders can now last pretty long,
    if you keep their aspirations up, and that's the way it should be, I think.

    Jeanie

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:27:40 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:

    >I think the infancy stage should be over with in a day. Toddlerhood lasts
    >about long enough. So does childhood. I don't care for teens, so I think
    >that stage is too long already. The young adult stage is about long enough,
    >if you go through University and play by the rules without hacks, it takes
    >that long anyway. Adulthood is fine at the length it is, but I want them to
    >add a middle-age stage, with hair only slightly gray and make it last at
    >least as long as the teen years last now. Elders can now last pretty long,
    >if you keep their aspirations up, and that's the way it should be, I think.

    Sounds like you don't like homework, hehe. After I put in the no
    homework hack, I've found a new love for children and teenagers.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:27:40 GMT, "Jeanie" <Nobody@home.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I think the infancy stage should be over with in a day. Toddlerhood
    >> lasts about long enough. So does childhood. I don't care for
    >> teens, so I think that stage is too long already. The young adult
    >> stage is about long enough, if you go through University and play by
    >> the rules without hacks, it takes that long anyway. Adulthood is
    >> fine at the length it is, but I want them to add a middle-age stage,
    >> with hair only slightly gray and make it last at least as long as
    >> the teen years last now. Elders can now last pretty long, if you
    >> keep their aspirations up, and that's the way it should be, I think.
    >
    > Sounds like you don't like homework, hehe. After I put in the no
    > homework hack, I've found a new love for children and teenagers.

    I've got the homework sometimes faster fun hack so I'm not too concerned
    with homework. It's just that the things that teens can do seem boring to
    me, even if you add the teen woohoo and pregnancy mods. Sneaking
    out.....running away from home.....just don't do it for me, I'm afraid. If
    you give them a part time job, they have no time for much of anything else.
    But they do come in handy to help with younger siblings at night and it's
    sweet the way they sometimes go to tuck in their brothers and sisters
    without you telling them to.

    Jeanie

    >I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like is to
    >be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage yourself. I
    >find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the default settings and
    >basically I'd like them to have longer lifetimes. I'm pretty sure I read
    >about a hacked object that would do that but, naturally, didn't save the
    >link. I'm pretty sure, anyway, it evoked the Tombstone of L&D functions

    The multipurpose painting from simchaotics.com lets you add 1, three
    or ten days to their current life stage. It also lets you subtract
    1, three or ten days. Works even for babies.

    >which, to be honest, I'm not too keen to use. I'm not mad about using
    >cheats anyway and the TofL&D is notorious for causing problems and
    >corruption.

    The painting causes no problems.

    Guardian Pegasus wrote:

    > I only throw one once in a while, for fun. I don't care about
    > aspirations, birthdays, weddings, none of that stuff. It would be
    > dull
    > if you did it for all your sims.. so I just do it with the ones I
    > like
    > the most.

    My sims never marry. I don't see why they should. I once gave a
    wedding party, just to see what happened. Was okay, I guess. Now back
    to love, please :-)

    T.

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 19:42:29 +0200, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

    >My sims never marry. I don't see why they should. I once gave a
    >wedding party, just to see what happened. Was okay, I guess. Now back
    >to love, please :-)

    Marriage has some advantages, and you don't have to throw a party.

    in message news:r2iba1pkfodkvsjm7d88nh8qof9ml8badu@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:03:24 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like is
    > >be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage yourself. I
    > >find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the default settings
    and
    > >basically I'd like them to have longer lifetimes. I'm pretty sure I read
    > >about a hacked object that would do that but, naturally, didn't save the
    >
    > You know... someone made a hack to speed up childhood. I see no reason
    > why one could not determine the duration of all the life stages...
    > maybe if we figure out how long we want the stages to be, we can make
    > a common request on behalf og AGTS :-) Then again, I see no reason why
    > they can't make many durations. I mean, once the hack is done, it's
    > just a matter of changing a few figures.
    >
    > So, what do you suggest for age durations? I wouldn't want childhood
    > extended much... but... adults should live, say... a hundred days? And
    > elderdom 30-40. I also think the teen years should be longer than
    > their current, what, 15? Make that 25...

    Mmmm - well you see that's a difference already as I'd like the childhood to
    last longer. I'm not so sure about teenagers but maybe longer also. I'm
    not sure how long I'd want the stages to last actually, just that they seem
    to change so quickly. I'm such an inveterate story-teller that I'm finding
    it frustrating. I get half-way through a plot only to find the sim is no
    longer the sim I started with but an age group or two older and my story
    isn't necessarily ready for that. This is something that is bound to vary
    for the individual player depending on how you play the game. What I'd like
    to see is a hack where you can customise the length of the life-stages. I
    think someone also suggested a middle aged-stage for sims - it's been
    suggested before (not least by me several times!!) and I'd really like to
    see that. It's so odd with them being young adults then slightly older
    young adults and then elders. It's a reflection, that, of the age of the
    game designers and the market they think they are aiming at, I think (or
    maybe it's because they're Californian and afraid of being old) but for us
    'older' players, it's just plain weird.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 13:02:30 -0700, "Kristy" <Wembeley@noneayobiz.com>
    wrote:

    >I hate when people say this and don't have the link but "somewhere" I
    >downloaded a buyable life elixer bottle so whenever your sim gets close to
    >aging to the next level you can buy it and have them drink it 5 times and
    >then they get 25 more days. I'm sorry I don't have the link.

    But they'll still need gold or platinum aspiration. Why not just use
    the Tombstone to 'reset' age duration to day 1 of adulthood? That'll
    give em another 30 days :)

    "Guardian Pegasus"
    <Pope.Been-a-Dick.Adolf.Panzer.Rat.Nazinger.Torquemada.II@holysee.va> wrote
    in message news:r2iba1pkfodkvsjm7d88nh8qof9ml8badu@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:03:24 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I don't mind the aging now I've got used to it but what I would like is to
    >>be able to set the length of time your sim is in each stage yourself. I
    >>find it too short for some sims at certain ages at the default settings
    >>and
    >>basically I'd like them to have longer lifetimes. I'm pretty sure I read
    >>about a hacked object that would do that but, naturally, didn't save the
    >
    > You know... someone made a hack to speed up childhood. I see no reason
    > why one could not determine the duration of all the life stages...
    > maybe if we figure out how long we want the stages to be, we can make
    > a common request on behalf og AGTS :-) Then again, I see no reason why
    > they can't make many durations. I mean, once the hack is done, it's
    > just a matter of changing a few figures.
    >
    > So, what do you suggest for age durations? I wouldn't want childhood
    > extended much... but... adults should live, say... a hundred days? And
    > elderdom 30-40. I also think the teen years should be longer than
    > their current, what, 15? Make that 25...

    Inge Jones made an Agegroup tweaker.
    You can download it at
    http://www.simlogical.com/

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:48:52 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Mmmm - well you see that's a difference already as I'd like the childhood to
    >last longer. I'm not so sure about teenagers but maybe longer also. I'm
    >not sure how long I'd want the stages to last actually, just that they seem

    Use the in-game tombstone on children to "reset age duration" :-)

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:42:14 -0500, "Davybear" <Davybear@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    >Inge Jones made an Agegroup tweaker.
    >You can download it at
    >http://www.simlogical.com/

    Ah, good old Inge! We do miss her around here :-(

    Yes - as I said I don't really want to use the Tombstone of L&D. And anyway
    I'd like a global hack for it not something where I have to set it for every
    sim.

    in message news:bn5da1t3gs60aqpi1mjhc0u72n2g2e87gn@4ax.com...
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:48:52 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Mmmm - well you see that's a difference already as I'd like the childhood
    > >last longer. I'm not so sure about teenagers but maybe longer also. I'm
    > >not sure how long I'd want the stages to last actually, just that they
    seem

    > Use the in-game tombstone on children to "reset age duration" :-)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:17:27 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Yes - as I said I don't really want to use the Tombstone of L&D. And anyway
    >I'd like a global hack for it not something where I have to set it for every
    >sim.

    Tell me what age durations you want, I'll e-mail it to you.

    I'll have a think about it - The thing is I don't actually know. I would
    have to fiddle about with timings to find the right length for my game play
    style. I imagine at least twice the length for most life stages. I'd be
    interested to know how you did your hack.

    Thanks anyway

    in message news:roeda1d1ld59818tv2kep696af71jpi2ge@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 09:17:27 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Yes - as I said I don't really want to use the Tombstone of L&D. And
    anyway
    > >I'd like a global hack for it not something where I have to set it for
    every
    > >sim.
    >
    > Tell me what age durations you want, I'll e-mail it to you.

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:19:49 GMT, "Maxon"
    <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I'll have a think about it - The thing is I don't actually know. I would
    >have to fiddle about with timings to find the right length for my game play
    >style. I imagine at least twice the length for most life stages. I'd be
    >interested to know how you did your hack.

    The courtesy is due to Inge Jones, she explains most of it on her
    webpage, simlogical, under global hacks like DabyBear pointed out.
    Unfortunately she never made much of it, or tested it at length. I've
    tested it for hours now, and I've identified some of the other
    variables too. If you have SimPE just download the hack from her page,
    open it there, make your changes, commit them, and save.

    Oh ok - I've a feeling that it was at SimLogical that I saw the hack that
    allows life-stages to be changed anyway - I just couldn't remember where I'd
    seen it. I'll go and have a look and maybe have a fiddle about.

    Thanks

    in message news:f4pda11rknqjk8q71pub4uighijc0unn0r@4ax.com...
    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:19:49 GMT, "Maxon"
    > <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > The courtesy is due to Inge Jones, she explains most of it on her
    > webpage, simlogical, under global hacks like DabyBear pointed out.
    > Unfortunately she never made much of it, or tested it at length. I've
    > tested it for hours now, and I've identified some of the other
    > variables too. If you have SimPE just download the hack from her page,
    > open it there, make your changes, commit them, and save.

Sims Games Video Games