LucidMind

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Hey guys, im having trouble with the new core i5, i put together a system for one of my buddies and started having corruptions errors half way through the installation of windows 7. i figured it was a bad copy and burnt a new one but had the same problem, i ran diagnostic tests on everything and they all passed, however when i individually tested each core on the i5, only the first one passed any of the tests... Are 3/4 of the cores bad? or are the diagnostic tests on hirens boot cd just not up to date with the new core i7/5 tech?? I'm going to have another shot at it tomorrow and hopefully i can come to a conclusion... i hope its not the processor but thats what the tests tell me... has anybody else had any problems with all 4 cores not working? also im using a GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 mobo, is it possible the other 3 cores aren't working due to a motherboard problem?? also is it possible that the cpu just isn't seated right? i don't see why only 1 core would work

LucidMind

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
The tests i ran were from PC-check, when i did the cpu diagnostics they came back fine, however when i ran the system stress test, the cpu failed instantly every time with the progress bar going only 1/4th the way. I loaded mini windows xp from a boot cd and ran cpu-z, which said there was only 1 core as well. I've already told my buddy it was the cpu and to rma it, hopefully thats the problem, and not the mobo socket or somethin else...

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Try some other ram if you got some around. Also check the cpu temps in the BIOS. The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to get all 4 pins through. You make think you got them in but you really didnt.