Installing more case fans

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I'm wondering if installing more case fans would be beneficial to the cooling of the case. I have 1 120mm fan at the back of the case expelling the air and on average my case temps are low 50C at idle and high 60s when 100% load.

I have a slot for a 120mm intake fan at the front and 2 slots on the side for a 80mm/120mm. Should these fans take in or blow out air?

Thanks

front/side/bottom fans intake,
rear/top exhaust is the general rule of thumb,
80mm are noisier than 120's so if your loading up on swirlies make em 120mm atleast
Personally I'd add 2x120's at the front, sacrificing a drivebay slot or two,
and add a 120 at the top rear of the case, see how you go from there
if you have big gfx cards that partition the case it may be worth thinking about a sidefan, but my opinion is if you dont have that problem, dont make it for yourself
:p
Moto

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Is there any way to make a fan slot on the top? And would I take out some of the slots for optical drives for a second front fan?

I can supply pictures if it'd make it clearer for you, I'm not the most technical person and this was my first build :)

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
003793-300x225.jpg

003800-300x225.jpg

20_thumb.jpg

pictures of where you suggested the fans go, hope they help

Gandroid

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Modding cases can get really messy if you don't know what you're doing. Just from a first impression from the pictures, I personally wouldn't try to mod it. You'll likely run into problems with mounting and space.

Honestly, if you just add fans to the provided areas it'll make a pretty big difference in airflow. Also, it's kind of hard to see where the front fan would mount based on your pictures. You might have to get creative with space.

Are you looking mostly for overall cooling, or are you trying to get cpu temps down?

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

The front fan goes in the bottom square gap in front of the perforated mesh. So if I put the 3 fans in the slots it should make a big difference?

Overall cooling, however I'm going to invest in a better CPU heatsink (using the AMD stock cooler atm) as the CPU is currently reaching high 60s under full load, which I think is causing my computer to crash when playing games such as TF2.

Gandroid

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
High 60s is actually something to be worried about IMO. I'd say focus on filling those case fan slots for now. In the meantime, just run your system with the side-panel off and it'll drop the temp a little. Also, you should be able to fit that front fan perfectly fine. Just check the dimensions before you order a fan. Filling that side fan slot will make a big difference as it will blow directly on the motherboard and graphics card.

Gandroid

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
One other thing to look out for is wiring. A wire hanging in front of a fan doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can disrupt airflow and cause a degree or two of difference.

Sorry for delay, nightshifts :p
Yes if you mounted an extra fan it would mean removing those drivebay plates and making a way to hold the fan in place, and the easiest way to allow for a top fan is to mark the four screwholes, draw a 120mm circle in the centre then drill out a load of perforations,
However if your not confident with tools, dont do it :p
Also as mentioned by Gandroid, cable management can help, tuck loose lines away where you can
In your case I'd say put two fans in those side meshes and the one in the front, all intakes, the rear one stays exhaust
Moto

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Thanks, I'll fill the fan slots and see how it goes. If that doesn't lower the CPU enough I'll invest in a new heatsink

Thanks for the help!

Turn that hdd round so the connectors at the back,
not much you can do with the pcie lines for the graphics card except maybe taping them down the side of the cards shroud,
tuck everything you can down the back of the hdd/optical drive cage
Thats a mighty psu for the rig you have, a lot of unused connectors, just like my rigs hehe
I reckon you have 2-3mm of space behind the mobo tray there? personally I'd cut/drill acces holes where I could to route them,
my Gf's build was an interesting cable challenge hehe, you do what you can though
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareuk.inc&cat=13&post=287494&page=2&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
I'd see about putting another fan on that heatsink though first, that will make a good difference for you, push pull config, both will be blowing towards the rear fan
Moto

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

Haha yeah, lots of cables, but I thought I better get a bigger PSU than I need just for reassurance and in case I decide to upgrade in the future.

The 80mm side fan I'm going to install will blow directly on the heatsink, within 1-2cm as the heatsink is pretty big so that should cool it down quite a bit.

Nix on that man, get another 120mm on the heatsink, thats the first move
same specs as the one thats on there now, and fit like this '< indicates flow of air'
<Fan<Heatsink<fan< so both are working together, if you randomly add an 80mm fan blowing on it, your going to upset the airflow you already have and increase noise
I hear you on the headroom/psu thing though, I'm the same
Moto

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

So, instead of attaching the 80mm side fan I should instead put a fan on the heatsink thats blowing air to the exhaust fan?

Yup, so you have two fans on there, its commonly referred to as a pushpull set up, as one is pushing air into the Hs, and the other pulls it out and sends it to the rear fan,
That will give you more benefit than a sidefan at this point, much more
Moto

sybilline

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

I'll see what the side fans do first, as I said I'm not the most technical person and fitting an extra fan to the heatsink makes me nervous :na:

Trust me, its easier than putting the sidefans on,
case on its side so the mobo's flat, you need two wireclips (like the ones already holding the other fan on)
attach the lower one first then the top one, plug fan in, done :)
but you can try the sidefan way, see how that helps if you wish :)
Moto

D12fast

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
ok can u guys give me some advice on installing case fans

ive got a micro atx motheroard in a mid tower case

right now i have no case fans on the side but it has slots for a 80mm and 120mm case fan ( please note there is no way to install a fan at the front or on top)

at the back of the case there is a case fan which is blowig out air and the vent for the psu which is also blowing out air

bottom line is that right now i have no intake fans

These are the fans that are blowing out air:
- Case fan at the rear
- CPU fan
- Graphics card fan
- PSU fan

i have two slots on the side of the case to install fans

- the 80mm slot is directly on top of the CPU heatsink and fan which is blowing out air
- the 120mm fan is in the position where the graphics card is also it is blowng out air

my question is that in order to ONLY decrease my cpu temperature ( i dont want liquid cooling plz , noise generation is negelected)
should i install the two case fans on the side
if YES then should they both be intake fans or exhaust fans

An additional question is that is that if my fan is blowing air (exhaust) if i flip it will it take in air???

Pliz need ur guys advice!!