Is overclocking needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
ok i have a 2500k cpu and a r6970 gpu. my question is it nessesary to overclock my cpu. i will be wanting to play bf3, skyrim and rage fully maxed at 1920x1080 and get between 50 and 60 fps. i am currently getting apx. 40-40 fps in witcher 2. is my cpu holding my video card back or was the game just not optimized the best. anyway im just wondering should i overclock or would it work just fine for those games if i leave it alone. thank you.

Solution
I would think it's quite possibly an issue with the 6970 driver not being well optimized for the game, which is not rare for ATI. But no, the 2500K is not bottlenecking your 6970

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
That's a current gen pretty high end chip. You should be able to run most things under the sun without overclocking no problem. That said you did buy the K series, that allows for easy overclocking with the unlocked multiplier.

Please don't post multiple threads about the same exact issue. That just clutters up our forums. You have to realize that a lot of the people who would normally respond are unavailable due to a holiday in the US.

Anyway...

I would say that it is most likely the GPU. If you switch one graphics setting like that (ubersampling or whatever you called it) and suddenly your FPS goes way down, the GPU can't handle the extra load. I would advise downloading MSI's Afterburner program and overclocking the GPU core and memory speeds.

Check some reviews of the card you have to see what kind of overclocks the reviewers get. That will give you an idea of what your card might be able to do.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
I would think it's quite possibly an issue with the 6970 driver not being well optimized for the game, which is not rare for ATI. But no, the 2500K is not bottlenecking your 6970

Solution

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Well I have a lesser AMD card (6950) and lesser AMD cpu and get the same FPS so wile I know that CPU is not a bottle neck I will say its not the drivers because he should get better results than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.