Sign in with
Your question

Feedback on an Ongoing Project

Last response: in Systems
June 29, 2009 12:22:41 AM

Hi Folks,

First off thanks in advance for the time; it's greatly appreciated. I have a couple questions and a dilemna, but first off here's my current build.

FXF 750i SLI Mobo socket 775 LGA
E8500 Core 2 Duo 3.2 mghz
Zalman 9700 CPU fan
2 x 2GB G.Skill 8500 DDR2 1066mghz Dual Channel
2 WD 250 GB 7500 rpm KS's
1 BFG 7900 GTX OC Nvidia GPU 512MB DDR3 RAM
Ultra 500W PSU
Thermaltake Aguile PC Case and a couple added fans, nothing major.

I am running Vista 32bit.

Now here's my issue: I recently bought an 850W Ultra 3X PSU Modular from Tigerdirect so I could add a second 7900 GTX OC and I also like the modularity to keep the case clean looking and for good airflow. I isntalled it, and for some reason the thing wouldn't turn on and the CMOS light blinks.

I tried everything: I double checked my work to kingdom come, and nothing out of the ordinary. So I thought, ok I'm a newb, I got something wrong when I hooked everything up. I double checked that and nothing. I learned that, oddly enough if I rapidly hit the power switch, the PC will fire up.

So I'm thinking it has to be the powerswitch, but I thought I'd reinstall my old PSU just in case that worked. So I did this, and it fired up immediately like it used to. So I'm thinking, it's got to be the PSU. Now I ran a CPUID HWMonitor thinking maybe one of the rails is whacked, and this is what I came up with:

Voltage sensor 0 3.39 Volts [0xD4] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 1 1.08 Volts [0x87] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage sensor 2 1.52 Volts [0x5F] (VIN2)
Voltage sensor 3 0.82 Volts [0x46] (VIN3)
Voltage sensor 4 5.05 Volts [0x78] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 5 12.41 Volts [0x8D] (+12V)
Voltage sensor 6 1.84 Volts [0x73] (VIN6)
Voltage sensor 7 3.39 Volts [0xD4] (VSB3V)
Voltage sensor 8 3.14 Volts [0xC4] (VBAT)
Temperature sensor 0 25°C (76°F) [0x19] (TMPIN0)
Temperature sensor 1 35°C (94°F) [0x23] (TMPIN1)

I'm not exactly a newb, but when it comes to the details of voltage, etc I'm no pro in these matters either. I'm also not sure exactly what this means in terms of the power-switch issue, so I'm calling on the Tom's Hardware think-tank for help! :D 

Question: would flashing the BIOS to a newer version possibly help in this matter? Or does this not affect my issue at hand...

Also, I have lower FPS (16-22 fps) playing WOW in SLI than with one card (average 22-38 fps), especially in major cities. I had this problem with my previous PSU and thought it was solely a power issue. One of the reasons I got this new PSU is so that I'd have enough power for SLI and for when I finally can upgrade to i7 and to SLI some of the new GPU's that are power hogs. I have the latest video drivers from Nvidia.

However if there is no boost FPS or if it's marginal, than this PSU is total overkill, so I'm wondering if this is even worth it (it happened to be cheaper than the 600W at the time when I bought it June, 21st). I like the Ultra products because the wires are extremely easy to hide and manipulate, but not at the expense of it actually working lol.

Any ideas on these two issues I have described? Basically what I'm trying to achieve is likely what everyone else is: a system that will play games at a decent frame rate is expandable and solid.

Again thanks for the help in advance, it is greatly appreciated!!!!
June 29, 2009 12:56:58 AM

bios shouldn't have anything to do with it

you should try uninstalling the drivers, sweeping them clean, and then restarting and re-installing the drivers
a b B Homebuilt system
June 29, 2009 2:39:04 AM

Let me see if I got this right . . .

Working system.
You plug in a new psu, no go.
You plug in the old psu. Working system again.

Are any more diagnostics needed lol?

As for WoW frame rates, I don't play WoW. But I can guarantee you of the following from EQ2:

SLI (2x8800gtx) yields lower FPS and stuttering in cities (eg) than a single 8800GTX. That's with an Intel quad running @ 3.2GHz

In EQ2, the large number of moving PCs, NPCs, and unseen NPCs puts a heavy load on the cpu. (Check your cpu utilization in cities - you may see it pegged at 50% on one core, maybe 10% on the other, as I did in EQ2.) You become cpu-bound (as I am most of the time in EQ2), and FPS drops. Then you try to run SLI, you impose a greater cpu load to support driver decision-making, and FPS drops again.

MMOs, particularly the older ones, react differently than the FPS standardly used in benchmarking. They are different games. SLI doesn't help in EQ2, and may not help in WoW to solve the problem you speak of if I am projecting correctly.
!