raf bomber

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Hae guys i am looking at building a new gaming computer and i have been looking around at parts but i am not sure about the PSU and Motherboard.
So far
AMD
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850 Black Edition Dual Core 2.8GHz 3MB socket AM2+ Processor retail box
MoBo: ECS GF8200A AM2+ ATX GF8200 MCP78S Motherboard FSB 5200, DDR2 1066, intergrated VGA

OR

Intel:
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz 800MHz LGA775
MoBo: ASRock P43DE socket T Motherboard ATX Intel P43 chipset 1.6GHz FSB LGA775

GPU: SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON HD4850 512MB PCI-E
RAM: G.skill 4GB kit PC6400 CL5-5-5-15 2x2GB
HD: Western Digital 500GB 7200rpm
PSU: Corsair HX-520 ATX 520W 120mm Modular Power Supply
Case: need some suggestion on a good preformance case i dont mind what it looks like because it wil be sitting under a desk

I have a budget of 900 NZD and this rig is about 800NZD
Should i go amd or intel?
Also wondering about a good case
And do i need any other fans or cooling systems?
All products which are avaliable to me are avaliable at: www.pricespy.co.nz

Note: Already have a CD/DVD writer

I just wanted to get some feedback on this system

cheers

Im a kiwi too... and dont our prices suck

I cnt get the pconline links to work . I just get a 404 error .
Theyre very bad for warranties so unless you can walk in and punch the guy in the face if he jerks you around then best avoided .

If I was building a whole system I would pick all the parts and then email a reputable site and ask them to match the prices as a package . Things are pretty tough in business right now so its worth asking politely for a package deal .

I see from the mb that you are thinking of intel and socket 775 . Even in NZ AMD is mostly better value .
And e8400 costs about $300 but an amd phenom x3 720 costs about $250 and is faster in games and at multitasking .....
have you got a $NZ budget?

raf bomber

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
Around about $800 would be nice. I was thinking about AMD but my friend said to go with intel, tbh i am not sure what the difference. Really i just want this computer for playing games such as battlefield 2 COD 4 and those kind of games

One of those sites I can't link to properly :p

Anyway, I think you are looking at an E7400 and a P43 board based on the prices I saw. The X3 720 looks out of reach, as does the E8400.

A 4850 is going to run about $210.00, and that would be the biggest priority, followed by a good PSU, perhaps a Corsair 450VX.

It looks like Phenom is out of reach , but a system like the one you are buying is the best in your price range IMO .

Swap out the e5300 and buy an e5200 instead . They are the same thing but and you can easily overclock more than the difference for extra power .
That will save you about $24
So

Normally a case with a psu fitted isnt a great idea but I trust gigabyte as a brand , and the value is good so how about

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Chassis/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Chassis&ProductID=2360&ProductName=GZ-X1
from
http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=39167
for About $110

This mb is good value . it lacks a few features but has intels best chipsets and asrock is Asus budget brand
AsRock P45DE ATX MB, Intel P45+ICH10, 2000 MHz FSB, DDR2 1200, PCI-Ex16, SATAII, GbE LAN, 8ch Audio,
http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=39106

Compromising a bit on the case means you can afford a 4850 which is a pretty strong gaming card

so its

intel e5200 $121
Asrock P45DE $144
Gskill Ram $99
ATI 4850 $212
Gigabyte case with PSU $110
WD 500 gb blue hdd $78

Total is $764 + shipping .

What Ive noticed is that the really cheap online shops have HIGH shipping costs .I buy from a palce called paradigm Pc's [ pp.co.nz] because they charge more but ship free and that often works out cheaper because Im in rural Nelson. If you are in Auckland , Hamilton , Wellington , Chch or Dunedin find a local retailer and as them to sell you the lot as a package

We didnt include the cost of windows either btw , but you can download windows 7 from microsoft and use it free till march next year

Asustek P5QL SE is very basic . Notice it only has two slots for RAM ? And only 4 usb ports . It must be reasonably old to include the large printer port on the back . Almost all computer dont even bother with that these days since printers are USB now .
From Asus website id say the gfx slot is pci-e x16 not pci-e [2.0] x 16
I think the asrock is a better choice .

I like the way you think with case/psu but your budget can be blown away very easily here .
B4 you decide have a read of
http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413
Lots of people get way too grunty a psu

According to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
A pc like the one I suggested will draw about 244 watts maxed out

Ideally 450 - 500 watts , but the 420 will do for now .

If you had more then the antec 300 or coolermaster centurion and a quality 500 watt psu .. but thats going to cost $150 more

raf bomber

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
hmm okay so the PSU would be able to run the graphics card?
will i need extra cooling in this specific case?
Because i have decided to spend the extra money for a better card
Also i have decided to get the e5300 its not much more and it should be faster.
The main thing i am concerned about is if this system will be able to play games such as battlefield 2 COD 4 and COD 6( when it comes out later this year)
also wondering if this is 64 or 32 bit?

Google for the case and see if you can find reviews . The case includes one fan and it would be better if you added a second one to pull air in , but would be OK as it comes .

Yes the psu should be fine running the 4850 and the rest of the computer . Not best quality but it should all work

My computer is an overclocked e7300 , 2 gig of RAM , a 4850 and windows XP
It runs crysis on high on a 19 inch monitor at about 35 fps . You will be fine with COD4 .

raf bomber

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
cheers man
i am gunna go with that mobo but i have been advised to not pruchase from nzoczone so i will keep looking for a case and psu

oczone are also useless .

Their website did have nice pics though so I used their page . I think someone else had that board a few cents cheaper .

Sites I have had good sales experiences with
pp.co.nz
ascent.co.nz
ezonecomputers.co.nz
pbtech [ were good in Dunedin and wholesaled my gf some stuff . It probably helped they were geeks and she flirted and was wearing a low cut t shirt ]

places i wont use again unless I have to

oczone
pconlineshop

places I will spit on when I pass the door

c1shoppingmall

and watch out for shipping . Buying stuff because its $10 cheaper but you pay $15 more for shipping ... which they add right at the end after you've clicked about 4 million links to buy off the website ......