Sign in with
Your question

FSX and HP Pavilion M8040N

Last response: in CPUs
September 30, 2009 2:36:35 PM

Hello guys

I want to know what components I need to upgrade in my computer in order to play FSX with no problems. My PC is a HP Pavilion M8040N, I only added 1 GB of Memory Ram. Here are the specs.:

Video card: Nvidia GeForce 7600
Ram:3 x 1024 MB, PC4200, DDR2 SDRAM.
OS.: Windows Vista Ultimate
HD: The dual 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA)
Processor: The Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 processor has a 2.13 GHz processor speed.

I installed Saitek X52 Flight control system

Thank you very much for your help

Moe

More about : fsx pavilion m8040n

September 30, 2009 2:42:42 PM

Moe2007 said:
Hello guys

I want to know what components I need to upgrade in my computer in order to play FSX with no problems. My PC is a HP Pavilion M8040N, I only added 1 GB of Memory Ram. Here are the specs.:

Video card: Nvidia GeForce 7600
Ram:3 x 1024 MB, PC4200, DDR2 SDRAM.
OS.: Windows Vista Ultimate
HD: The dual 320 GB Serial ATA (SATA)
Processor: The Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 processor has a 2.13 GHz processor speed.

I installed Saitek X52 Flight control system

Thank you very much for your help

Moe

You need to upgrade at least the video card.
There was another thread with a suggestion for a good video card for FSX, I'll try to find it.
m
l
September 30, 2009 2:49:03 PM

Which video card do you recommed?

Moe
m
l
Related resources
September 30, 2009 4:32:14 PM

I didn't find that thread yet, sorry.

But here are the minimum requirements for FSX

Minimum System Requirements

* Windows XP SP2 / Windows Vista
* Processor: 1.0 Ghz
* RAM: Windows XP SP2 - 256MB, Windows Vista – 512MB
* Hard Drive: 14GB
* Video Card: 32MB DirectX 9 compatible
* Other: DX9 hardware compatibility and audio board with speakers and/or headphones
* Online/Multiplayer Requirements: 56.6 kbps or better for online play

Can anyone recommend a video card that plays FSX without any problems?
Because the minimum requirements are pretty low, but how about playing with a decent resolution?

Moe, what settings do you plan on using (resolution etc)
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2009 5:10:01 PM

CPU is more inportant in FSX than GPU - if you can fit a quad core cpu to replace your current one then you will be on the right track.

MS list the recomended specs on the packing but ignore them as they are woefully under the right level of kit you need.

if your PC will accept a Q9** series quad core then go for that first and an addtional 1gb of RAM

m
l
October 8, 2009 1:12:28 PM

Thank you guys

What about FXF 9800 GTX. Do you think that if installing this video card will be the solution?

Thank you
m
l
October 31, 2009 8:04:35 PM

I have the same computer that you own, HP m8040n

Let me warn you of few things before upgrading your system

First of all if you are planning to upgrade your graphics card. than you will have to upgrade your PSU too. Because the power supply HPm8040n came with was 300 watt PSU. and believe me it is barely managing the your current system. Second thing. The m8040n has this 2.13ghz processor which i think is not enough to sync with the upgraded GPU or to play any high end game with decent resolution. So you might have to consider the CPU upgrade too.

One more thing you will have to consider is that once you upgrade your CPU, your recovery disks and the OEM Vista ultimate wich came with your system will not work any more. Once the CPU is changed you will have to buy a fresh copy of any Operating system you want. And i am really not sure if the Asus mother board which came with m8040n will work with any other CPU. Because you see HP always lock the motherboard to prevent you from upgrading or over clocking system.

About FXF 9800 GTX. Well i would say if you really are spending that much money than why not some middle range ATI GPU. Like 4850 or 4770. Because these graphics cards will consume less power and for sure will give you better performance than 9800 GTX. You can buy both of these cards under $100 if you are willing to go through the hassle of MIR.

I hope this would help you solve your upgrade dilemma.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 1, 2009 3:11:11 AM

Moe2007 said:
Hello guys

I want to know what components I need to upgrade in my computer in order to play FSX with no problems.
Moe2007, I'm sorry, but please don't shoot the messenger.

FSX is still the most CPU bound title you can run today. FSX is on the extreme CPU end of the CPU/GPU gaming spectrum. FSX frame rate is 85% CPU and only 15% GPU. FSX runs best on a highly overclocked i7 @ 4.0 Ghz, and just a mainstream nVidia GPU, so even a GTX-260 is overkill. High-end graphics solutions such as SLI/CF/X2 or just overclocking a single GPU has the effect of actually decreasing FPS due to increasing CPU interrupts.

Need proof? Then check out Tom's Gaming Graphics Charts: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-char...

Microsoft's minimum requirements are a cruel joke. Trying to run FSX on a stock quad retail rig, even with deeply compromised in-game settings, will result in a slide-show. I've been a Flight Simulator enthusiast for over 15 years, so I've built my rigs specifically to run these simulations. You're either going to need a "built-to-order" overclocked quad, or just turn back the clock and install Flight Simulator 2004. It's still a damned good simulation, and has plenty of great planes to fly.

Comp :sol: 
m
l
!