Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should i overclock or is it neccesary?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 3, 2011 11:21:24 PM

I recently built a new pc and im not getting results like i thought i would. I have an asrock extreme4, 8gb ram, i5 2500k, and a r6970. i tested the rig out with witcher 2. with ubersampling on I was getting around 25 fps, otherwise im getting roughly 55 with everything maxed with it off. now i was wondering if it would make a difference if i overclocked the 2500k? and how much would it make if it did? or it it my video card holding me back? im just wondering because i built this pc for bf3 and skyrim and now im a little concerned that it wont run them on max at 60fps. any thoughts or tips would be appriciated because I dont know much about computers. thanks.

More about : overclock neccesary

July 4, 2011 5:46:17 AM

please respond I wanna know if my cpu is causing a bottleneck or if its that one game or what. just so you know i tried l4d2 and steady 60 all the way through. original witcher and gothic 3 in 90s all on max but i know those are old games. please, any imput would be appriciated i just wanna know if the $1400 i spent on my pc is worth it or if i shoulda stuck with console gaming. also i dont wana have to buy an aftermarket cooler and learn how to oc if i dont need to.
Score
a c 130 K Overclocking
July 4, 2011 4:55:00 PM

I suspect the issue is with the game.

Update to the most current graphics driver. Each update will have tweaks appropriate to individual games.

If you want, go ahead and oc the 2500K. You can do a modest OC using the stock cooler. Just gradually raise the multiplier and see how you do.

If the OC does really well, then invest in a aftermarket cpu cooler and OC even higher. You can get a good one for <$30 or $40.

Out of curiosity, what does your windows experience index say?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

July 4, 2011 5:08:48 PM

Your setup is very good and balanced, don't worry, no bottleneck here. The problem is the Witcher 2 - I've heard the game is so badly coded it lags even on best rigs, if put into highest settings. Try running Crysis 2 with the latest DirectX 11 patch and high textures, you'll see that your rig is capable of excellent graphics with no lag whatsoever. It will run BF3 like a charm, no doubt. Your shift from consoles was totally worth it. Just try a few other games and you'll see that your computer will max them all out effortlessly.
July 5, 2011 4:05:33 PM

geofelt said:
I suspect the issue is with the game.

Update to the most current graphics driver. Each update will have tweaks appropriate to individual games.

If you want, go ahead and oc the 2500K. You can do a modest OC using the stock cooler. Just gradually raise the multiplier and see how you do.

If the OC does really well, then invest in a aftermarket cpu cooler and OC even higher. You can get a good one for <$30 or $40.

Out of curiosity, what does your windows experience index say?

its 5.9. my hdd is holding it back. i have a wd black caviar and i guess its not the best. everything else is 7.6 or higher.
Score
July 5, 2011 4:06:58 PM

Best answer selected by tjosborne.
Score
a b K Overclocking
August 19, 2011 7:42:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!