XP and 4 GB RAM?

Smiler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Hi.

My RAM seems to have gone bad (swapping it out has cured my recent endless page errors and BSOD) so I'm looking to buy 2 x 2 GB (my motherboard supports 8GB). However I'm running Windows XP and was surprised to read a manufacturers statement that you should not 4GB RAM with XP. I always thought it didn't make any difference except for the fact that the system isn't using all the memory.

To quote from a Tomshardware article "While 4 GB of RAM cannot be fully utilized on 32-bit operating systems such as Windows XP and Windows Vista 32, you’ll still get between 3.3 and 3.7 GB of effective memory capacity. The exact figure depends on BIOS configuration, among other factors. We still believe that there is nothing wrong with purchasing a 4 GB dual channel memory kit, even if you won’t be able to utilize the entire capacity."

So is there a problem with 4GB and XP or is this just tosh?

Cheers.

2, 2gig sticks for a total of 4gig is indeed the optimum setup for the 32 bit version of XP. 2 identical sticks inserted into the correct 2 slots gives you dual channel operation, and that way you are also certain that the OS is using every single byte of memory that it can. The extra memory is simply not addressed, and does not hurt a thing.

Smiler

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Thank you jitpublisher.

Perhaps they are just trying to cover themselves against all eventualities and people returning it because they can’t see the full 4GB?

Anyway, assuming I write off unbranded memory (that was what I bought a year or two back that has now gone bad) now I just need to decide between OCZ Gold Edition 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400 and Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C5...

Cheers.