CPU Cooler with Low Height

lawrencelaw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hi,

I have a narrow CPU casing (about 178mm in depth) and due to core temperature problems for the xeon chip LGA1366 socket. I want to change the cpu cooler.

The CPU cooler height needs to be less than 145mm. Based on short search,the following coolers show up:-

1. Scythe Ninja Mini Rev. B.; height 115mm
2. Nepartak S983 - sent email to manufacturer to ask if can be used for LGA 1366 socket
3. Katana 3 CPU Cooler ; height 143mm
4. Noctua NH-U9DX ; height 122mm

Any idea which is better in terms of cooling performance. There is lack of tests for such coolers....appreciate if I could be directed to websites that can offer such test data.

Thank You
Lawrence

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

Have you tried reseating your current heatsink.
Try that and reapply the thermal compound.
Maybe you'll see an improvement in temperature and you won't have to change the heatsink.

Thermalright makes several variants of it's HR-01 cooler for use in rack-mounted servers of various heights. It looks like their HR-01 3U with a height of 110.2mm might meet your needs. Mounting kits for many different sockets, including LGA1366, are available for the HR-01 line of coolers.

I use the full-height version with my Xeon W3520 and it works well. The fins are more widely spaced than on most other coolers so that it's effective with a lower airflow, and this translates into lower fan speeds and less noise.

lawrencelaw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Hi,

Thank for the useful and sensible input. I will reseat the cooler- plan to use my left over ocz themal freeze for this.

Sminlal - By way what are the core temps for the w3520 at 100% cpu load, appreciate if u could state the room temps. Apologies if i get the names incorrect. Surfing with my mobile, limited flexibility to move between web windows. The xeon 5580 is getting temp btwn 58 to 68 at 60% load with room temp at 30degC. Have not loaded to 100% yet but thought it will run too hot at 100% cpu load

I will decide on cpu cooler replacement after reseating it and see the results.

Jtt283 - can use two 90mm fans with the mini ninja in push pull mode?

Thanks
Lawrence

My W3520 with the Thermalright HR-01 full sized heatsink is getting CPU case temps which peak at 67C under a full Prime95 load over a few hours at a 23C room temperature. That's with my front "suck" and rear "blow" case fans on "low". (I use an Antec P182 case which has the PSU in a separate compartment so it's not a factor in the CPU airflow).

I'd expect the temperature with a similar airflow and ambient temperature to be at least a little higher with the 3U version of the HR-01 since it doesn't have as much surface area.