Need advice on oc'ing my gtx460 card

popndrop

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
hi im kinda new to overclocking but i hear with the Asus 768 gtx460 top directcu video card is made to be cool and good for oc'ing even though its already oc'ed out of the box and it says right on the box voltage tweak gain upto 50% more performance. its default values are 987 voltage (mv) core clock @700 shader clock @1400 and memory clock@1840. i have it overclocked right now to core voltage@1025 core clock@875 shader clock@1750 and memory clock@2295. my gpu temp runs at about 70c while doing a kombustor benchmarking test when idol its about 42c,gpu usage is a constant 95 while testing ,and memory usage@482 all when running kombustor test.Is this a safe config for a oc on this card? what should i change? ive never oc'ed a gfx card and would hate for something to go wrong on this 200 dollar video card! any input would be much of help to me. my specs are
asus engtx460 768mb top factory oc'ed gfx card
4 gigs of ddr3 1333 ram
450watt thermaltake psu
amd ll x4 phenom quadcore 955 B.E. 8.0 mb total cache
asus m4a77t/usb3 motherboard
asus 22inch 1680x1050 lcd dvi monitor
thanx for any advice you can give me

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Your current settings are nice, but the temps are a little high. Try droppping the VCore to 1000mV, and do the benchmark test again. 70'C is high for those settings, but it's not uncommon. As long as the GPU temps stay below 85'C under load you're still in the green zone. From 85'C and up, it's not recommended to go further, and once you hit 95'C~100'C you should turn off the PC and remove the OC to check what's happening. Also, I'd recommend leaving the Memory Clock at default, as the Memory doesn't have cooling capability, so it's the first thing to go on most of these cards.

So, in short, don't overclock the Memory Clock, and keep the temps below 85'C. Push the Core Clock and increase the VCore as soon as the card becomes unstable, and monitor temps. Easy as that! :)

Those numbers look about standard for an OCed 460. I was able to run mine at 850/1700/2100 MHz, but I got that on stock voltage.

Your temps do seem high though; my pair topped out at 60C, but usually sat around 55C. What case do you have? Do you have enough air/fans?

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Why you said not to Overclock the Memory? I tho it's all processed by the GPU... The Memory shouldn't get hot which shouldn't be reaching 60*C so why not Overclocked the memory? Your GPU is seriously high, My GTs 450(Not SC or anything just stock at 822MHz) at 900/1800/2050 is at around 65-70*C Max with an Aluminum heatsink and it doesn't have copper(Evga GTs 450)... If your Videocard have copper and temps is high, i recommend getting better thermal paste like the Noctua Thermal Paste which is about 2-4*C better than AS-5(Arctic Silver 5) but price is at $10 at newegg.com which is about 5-10g or so...

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The memory doesn't have a cooler. It will get hot, and it doens't have a temperature sensor. The heat isn't monitored, but it does get hot, trust me. A major cause of malfunctioning graphics cards are corrupt or broken VRAM due to crappy overclocking. It's the same as standard RAM on your motherboard - you're not going to OC a generic chip without a cooler, it's just not right. Increasing the voltages and pushing the speed cannot go without an increase in temperature, at least not with our current technology. Also, the increase in speed over the risk of burning your VRAM isn't worth it.

Well, you can OC it, but you just need to be careful with it (dependent on airflow, really). My EVGA GTX 460 EE pushed air over the VRAM chips so I didn't have any issues with OCing the VRAM.

I couldn't get above 2150MHz, however, because the screen would start showing random colored circles and some artifacts, so that's why I stopped at 2100.