Overclocking with a H67 chipset

Sa123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Can you overclock a CPU with a H67 chipset?

Also, is it possible to disable Intel's graphics?

Thank you.

Sa123

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I'm content with getting a i5-2500k to atleast a 4.5ghz

Will I be able to do that? What's the limit btw?

You can not overclock a 2500K using a H67 chipset.
To do so, you need either a P67 or Z68 chipset.
Some overclocking of the integrated graphics is possible with a H67.

Your 2500K will operate exactly like the 2500. Run at 3.3 with a max turbo of one core to 3.7.

If you want more, get a P67 or Z68 based motherboard.

You can overclock with the H67 chipset if the mainboard you have has the correct settings. The overclock will be severely limited though -- you cannot get 4.5GHz.

The limit for overclocking on the H67 chipset is +400MHz Turbo. With a 2500K, the standard maximum Turbo speed is 3.7GHz. You can set it to 4.1GHz instead, if your board has the right overclocking settings in the BIOS. Some of them do and some don't.

As the others said, to really overclock that CPU all the way to its maximum, you would need a P67 or Z68 board.

The integrated graphics are automatically disabled when you put a discrete graphics card in the system.

Interesting.. can you provide a link to a H67 motherboard that has the correct settings?

The best I can find is a small(3%) increase in FSB. That's hardly worth it.

Possibly some bios might allow the multiplier to 41, but does it really work at 4.1?

I've seen a couple of posts where the auto-overclocking features of the board or software were used to overclock H67 systems. They were able to get over 4.0GHz that way.

Previous to that, I would have said that it wasn't possible to overclock with H67. Maybe the manufacturers found a way around the limitation with a BIOS update. I suppose they could have gotten very very lucky with a 110MHz BCLK or something.