Overclocking the GTX 280

Kappy

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Hi all,
So I've been reading a ton about overclocking the GTX 280 and I have seen some of the clocks that people are getting and I want to know how I get the higher clocks too. My system is more than capable of it but I haven't found a way to do it. For starters I'll list my system specs to help narrow down ways to OC the card successfully. By successful I mean beastly. I have an intel core i7-930 at 2.9ghz (I'll overclock it when I need to), 6GB of ram, an ASUS P6X58D premium motherboard and of course, one EVGA GTX 280 with 1gb memory. Right now my card is slightly overclocked. The core clock is at 680 (up from 648), shader clock is tied to core clock at 1473, memory clock is at 1161. I purchased the arctic cooling GTX 280 fan and I have yet to get my card over 55C in game. That being said, I know I have quite a bit of lenience as to making the card run faster without it overheating. Btw, furmark got the card to 75C and it stayed there. I just got too bored too see if it would get any hotter. Right now my GPU is the only thing bottle-necking (for lack of a better term) my computer from performing better. Is there a "safe" way to mess around with the BIOS settings so I can overclock my GPU higher? I have a feeling it has something to do with the voltages but I'm a novice when it comes to BIOS overclocking and voltages. I'm afraid to mess with the voltages also. After that long explanation and mess of details, does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Anything/everything helps!

Let me know if you need more details and I'll post it ASAP.

Thanks!

Extra thermal headroom does not always equate to higher clocks being achievable.

Here's a link to EVGA bios files for their graphics cards:

http://www.mvktech.net/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,26/func,select/id,60/

You can also just go to www.mvktech.net and surf around for the flash utility, bios file(s), and forums.

In general and not being specific about your card, a bios update, if one is desired, can resolve issues, squeeze out a little bit more performance, allow you to edit the voltage(s), or completely BRICK your card.

I think you've got a nice overclock on that card as it is and I personally wouldn't mess with voltages but that link should get you started if you wish to proceed.

Here's the hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-game-performance-radeon-hd-6670,2935-7.html

If you should manage a monster overclock, it may bump you up one tier. If you plan to replace it soon, just because or because it gets fried, look for a card at 3 tiers higher or better for your upgrade. You way want to concentrate on oc'ing that sweet i7-930. I bet it'd be more fun tweaking it. ;)