XP Home->Pro Upgrade problems

July 5, 2004 12:11:42 PM

Hi, I am the tech for a small private school and I just
purchased 5 Dell Dimension 4600s. They came with XP
Home. Since we have licenses for Pro, I thought why spend
the extra money I will upgrade them to Pro myself. What
a mistake that has turned out to be!

On the first install of Pro, I reluctantly chose
the "safe" route and went for upgrade rather than "fresh"
install. I ran into a blue screen telling
me "bad_pool_contoller" so I opted for a fresh install of
Pro. Things seemed to go well but now I have problems
with: Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller,
PCI Modem, and USB Controller showing as not installed
under "device manger".

I have reinstalled chipset drivers both from the CD and
from Dell's download site (luckily I have access to a
computer that can connect). I have reinstalled XP Pro
from a different disk (both have worked on Dell systems
previously). I have talked to Dell Support - "Sorry you
should have bought Pro from us, We can't help anymore".
I have installed/reinstalled until my head is spinning
and am at a loss of what to try next?

Under "device manager" the NIC says it is installed and
working properly, the audio works with the diagnostics
disk and I have opened up a second system and tried all
of this on it. Now I have 2 systems that can not connect
to my network and 3 with XP Home.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I
have already tried a post in the network section without
solution.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 8:28:50 PM

Hello,

For what i understand you have 2 systems that you can´t connect to the
network... the first thing you should check is the configuration of the
network itself, probably you don´t have a domain controller with DHCP so you
can try to change the configuration to manual... then check the
configuration from the others pcs and put the pc in the same range that the
others.

Besides this you can check if Internet Firewall isn´t blocking traffic.

If you decide to a new clean installation don´t forget the installation cd
(or drivers cd) from DELL.
With the XP Pro disk boot the machine make a clean install of Windows, don´t
forget to get rid of the old c partition, create a new one, you can make a
quick format in NTFS, after complete install of system... insert the
installation cd (or driver cd) and you can go to control panel, system,
hardware, device manager than after select the devices that aren´t installed
properly... properties, driver, update driver seach cd-rom. You must had
done this but... just in case.

!